• Tutorials RSS Feed

Published on 03-11-2010 09:16 AM

Tutorial Presented By Member Gérard Vermaelen
    Gérard Vermaelen presents us an interesting tutorial on "How to make a Trim Wheel". He takes us through his own experience in creating Trim Wheels . Are you ready to create you very own Trim Wheel in simple steps?

Click on "Read More" for full tutorial.

Tutorial Presented By Member Gwyn Perrett (Westozy)

Introduction

Greetings fellow cockpit builders!

A few of our members who own CNC machines have asked me to describe the process of how I have been creating my backlighting panels. Rather than repeating myself, I thought I would put a short tutorial together. First of all, I must state that I have only had the CNC machine a short time and I am still learning how to drive the beasty myself! Having said that, I think getting your head around a CNC machine and the software is not that difficult and great results can be achieved relatively quickly. My only regret is that I didn’t buy one of these toys years ago! They are a must for any hobbyist I think!

When I think of the labour time that went into the first A320TQ I built and how many parts the CNC could have cut out for me now – sigh! In November 09, I commenced building the A340TQ for a customer before I had received the CNC but I finished it with many CNC cut parts. It makes it so much easier and components are so much more accurate. I have gone back over the A340TQ and drawn all the components I had already made in AutoCAD so the next A340 TQ should be a lot quicker to produce. Before anyone asks, I’m afraid I won’t be sharing the files I produce for building simulator components, a business must have some trade secrets or there will be no business! I can only describe the processes that I have found work for me. They may not be the most efficient methods but as I mentioned before, and I am still quite new to the CNC machine!

Fig. 1 – My CNC set up

I like to use the router for cutting out pieces but I find that engraving is better using the Dremel tool as shown in figure 1, it’s much quieter too. My machine has a workable area of 350mm x 220mm so it can quite easily handle any panel or throttle quadrant part.

Prerequisites
    Hardware - Do I mention a CNC machine here or is that too obvious? I think you will really need one of those! A vertical bandsaw, table saw or jigsaw to cut out the raw materials required. A 3mm endmill and a 3mm 25 degree 0.5mm tip engraving tool. The material I use is 4.5mm thick Opal Acrylic sheeting, a 2.4m x 1.2m sheet cost ...
    Published on 02-06-2010 11:28 AM

Tutorial Presented By Member Gérard Vermaelen
    Gérard Vermaelen presents us an interesting tutorial on "How to make Post Lamps". He takes us through his own experience in creating post lamps which he used in his cockpit. Are you ready to create you very own post lamps in 9 simple steps?

Published on 01-21-2010 02:41 PM

Tutorial Presented By Member NigelD
    Hi there,

This might be a solution: If you have a registered copy of FSUIPC [and you should!] you could mousetrap the relevant functions and then assign them to the EFIS unit in FSUIPC. I use this technique with my Wilco Airbus to capture functions that do not have key assignments. I even made a video on how to do it which is now on the thread, for some reason!

See if it works...
    Nigel.
    Published on 01-21-2010 12:05 PM

Tutorial Present By member julian265

Published on 01-17-2010 05:49 PM

Tutorial Present By member verticallimit

Interesting tutorial on creating a Push - Pull Knob for a MD 80 HDG/ALT.

Published on 01-17-2010 10:39 AM

Tutorial Presented by Member xtreme3d

Some info on how to verify or estimate your Vs. This is out of a website I found a while ago. Really useful info for 737 Capts out there. No excuses now . Enjoy!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast