PDA

View Full Version : Mini pushbutton switches for Korrys?

Tomlin
08-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi

Does anyone know the name or type of these mini push button On/OFF switches that's in this tutorial for Korry switches? Each time I think I find one, they are too expenive, Momentary, or too big. I just simply need a small on/off pushbutton with a narrow, long shaft to mount into the acrylic.

See: http://home.hccnet.nl/jwopdenakker/building%20tip.html

Bob Reed
08-15-2007, 04:17 PM
That's not an on off switch it just a momentary. The interface software makes it work like an on off... Thats why you are having trouble finding it...

Tomlin
08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Really? Not so sure about that Bob. I know the REAL a/c has On/Off switches for their Korrys for the majority of them. I do see what your saying though- just install a momentary and tell it to 'latch'. Only problem is that I cant seem to get this to work in InterfaceIT and there are conflicting 'stories' on that issue. One post at FDS says that it's not possible to 'latch' an assignment via momentary switches, while someone else says it should be possible with the current release of InterfaceIT. I do know that Phidgets has the 'latching' possibility. I will try it again tonight to see if I can make that work. If so, then Im good to go because there are tons of small momentary switches for very little.

Bob Reed
08-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Really? Not so sure about that Bob. I know the REAL a/c has On/Off switches for their Korrys for the majority of them. I do see what your saying though- just install a momentary and tell it to 'latch'. Only problem is that I cant seem to get this to work in InterfaceIT and there are conflicting 'stories' on that issue. One post at FDS says that it's not possible to 'latch' an assignment via momentary switches, while someone else says it should be possible with the current release of InterfaceIT. I do know that Phidgets has the 'latching' possibility. I will try it again tonight to see if I can make that work. If so, then Im good to go because there are tons of small momentary switches for very little.

Real may be so, but we are not talking about real here. Those switches in that tutorial are momentary.. "latching" is a basic function and I would think that InterfaceIt could do that. I know it could back in it's beta days as I was able to do it. It's just a bit flip... Trip the bit it's on, trip the bit again, it is off.....

Gsey
08-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I posted in the fds forum but removed it due to the fact that Pete also sells some hardware as well.

http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/20B007/173/SPDT-Mini-Pushbutton-Switch

Gary

Tomlin
08-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks Gary, this looks almost exactly what I had in mind and the price too! Bob, Im working right now to try the latching in IT.

Thanks

Michael Carter
08-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Contact Mouser Electronics on the web and request a paper catalog. They send them quarterly.

No sim builder should be without this catalog.

Shipping is fast, they are centrally located, and they are very knowlegable about their products.

Tomlin
08-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Already scoured thru it. Im thinking the Altronics switch will work just fine.

For what it's worth, I have just tried every possible combination I can think of to cause a momentary to switch a function ON then stay ON till pressed again, to turn it OFF. No joy. SY3/InterfaceIT

Gsey
08-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Hmmm Interesting. So what happens when you press L for lights. Do the lights come on then go off as soon as you release the switch or do they stay on until you press the switch again. The later is how it should work. If not first thing to check is that you have a NO type switch and not a NC. Just to add if your practising with a spst type switch this might be the problem. I do remember that to use the lights as an example again, to turn them off some people had to flip the switch on, off, then on again to turn the lights off. I did think this was fixed though.

Gary

Bob Reed
08-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Hmmm Interesting. So what happens when you press L for lights. Do the lights come on then go off as soon as you release the switch or do they stay on until you press the switch again. The later is how it should work. If not first thing to check is that you have a NO type switch and not a NC. Just to add if your practising with a spst type switch this might be the problem. I do remember that to use the lights as an example again, to turn them off some people had to flip the switch on, off, then on again to turn the lights off. I did think this was fixed though.

Gary

Project Magenta does this for some offsets. The first time you press the switch sets the bit, then you have to rest the bit before you can switch the bit to off. This is just how PM does some offsets.

Tomlin
08-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks to both of you and anyone else who tries to offer a hand. Its really hard to not get frustrated when you are told that this can be done, yet not told how to in the software. Sorry-venting. Regardless, I am using a simple SPST momentary pushbutton- on one ever mentioned a SPDT momentary till now. I continued on last night after my last post and went thru hoops, stood on my head, you get the picture.

What is a NO type switch vs. NC?

JBaymore
08-16-2007, 09:06 AM
What is a NO type switch vs. NC?

NO menas "normally open" and NC means "normally closed".

What that means is that in a NO switch when the button is NOT pushed the contacts on the switch make no electrical connection to each other. In a NC switch when the button is NOT pushed the contacts DO make an electrical connection with each other.

You'll also see this refrerenced as NO = "make" on activation and a NC as "break" on activation.

Hope that helps.

best,

...................john

Tomlin
08-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Totally understand now, thanks for clearing that up. The ones I am using are NO.