PDA

View Full Version : I have a wiring question.

jmig
08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I made a bit of a goof, when I purchased some great looking LEDs for my gear indicators. The look a lot like the real ones. The problem is that after I bought them, I realized they are 12vdc LEDs.

My question is in activating them. I had planed on using the OpenCockpits IO card to send the 5 vdc to the LEDs by the use of SIOC code. Do I need to use a relay that will be activated by the 5 vdc signal to get 12vdc to the LEDs? If so, how do I turn them off when the gear are up in the wells?

Mike.Powell
08-08-2007, 09:10 PM
John,

I'd try them on 5 volts and see how bright (or dim) they are. My guess is that what you have is a led packaged with a series resistor. Running it on 5 rather than 12 volts should result in roughly a third the full rated current and less light output.

That may actually be better if you run your sim in a darkened room. At 12 volts they may be designed to be clearly visible in full daylight, and far too bright in a dim room.

jmig
08-08-2007, 10:18 PM
John,

I'd try them on 5 volts and see how bright (or dim) they are. My guess is that what you have is a led packaged with a series resistor. Running it on 5 rather than 12 volts should result in roughly a third the full rated current and less light output.

That may actually be better if you run your sim in a darkened room. At 12 volts they may be designed to be clearly visible in full daylight, and far too bright in a dim room.

Hi Mike, Good to see you here. These are a bunch of builders. How's the new book coming? Be sure and print enough copies so I can get one.

I will try the 5 volts. It may be a while, however. I still have to figure a way of mounting the three outside view 19" monitors without destroying them. Then I start hooking up the electronics stuff.

Meanwhile, I have to go to Canada and Wyoming on business. Damn oilfield keeping me busy. It is as bad as the early 1980's. Just hope we don't go boom again. LOL

Matt Olieman
08-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi Mike, I too always look forward toward your input :) and, make sure there's a copy of the new book for me too. :)

Mike.Powell
08-08-2007, 11:11 PM
The book (http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/upcoming_book.htm) is about 75% drafted. I've got 457 pages of manuscript and anticipate slightly more than 600 in total. Not much progress happening currently as all the deferred house projects came due at the same time. Hope to get back to the book in a month or two.

Thanks for your continuing interest :D:D:D

James Twomey
08-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Oh no......Just seeing that bit of the book has me already salavating..... Wife better hide the check book!!!!:lol:

Westozy
08-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Hi Mike and welcome to MyCockpit.org.

I have just made a dimmer circuit as described in your website and have successfully made dimmable wash lighting for the MIP, it looks and works great. My first foray into electronics!

Thank you for sharing the info,

Gwyn