PDA

View Full Version : A useful addition to he sim

Michael Carter
08-07-2007, 06:19 PM
I re-located my power-on switch for the computer to my overhead today. I had a blank panel not doing anything and an extra Eaton momentary pushbutton switch. This switch originally came with the center section of my MIP, but was pulled months ago and the hole covered.

This will be much easier to get to than reaching into the forward radio rack. Besides, it won't be too long and I won't be able to reach in anyway.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/computerswitch.jpg

James Twomey
08-07-2007, 07:38 PM
How many computers does your button start? And if several, can I ask how you did it? I would love to be able to start all my compters with one botton!

James

jmig
08-07-2007, 08:21 PM
I re-located my power-on switch for the computer to my overhead today.

And, does it operate a relay or do you have 110 vac running through it?

Michael Carter
08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
No, it's just the constant 5DVC that is always present at the switch from the PSU as long as the mains are on.

I cut off the connector from the internal switch and wired it to mine. It's a NO momentary type switch.

I have a bunch of hardware in my parts boxes so I had my pick of which to use.

You can turn on as many computers as you like this way, but I only have the one for now.

QF6228
08-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Now thats lateral thinking great Idea ;)

Kennair
08-08-2007, 02:37 AM
If you have a multi-PC setup why not have a separate switch for each one? Imagine how cool to include in your startup checklist: PC1 - ON, (wait for power up), PC2 - ON (wait for power up) etc. Maybe someone is already? We're all up for more switches and buttons aren't we??:D

Ken.

Westozy
08-08-2007, 04:51 AM
That is a good idea, I am having a new PC built this Christmas and I'll do it to that one. Should be able to parallel with the switch so the PC button still works.
We need an ideas page where things like this can be put on a list for everyone to browse. What about a useful links page? What do you reckon Matt? Trevor? Bob? Larry? Curly? Mo? :)

Thomas Richter
08-08-2007, 05:27 AM
Hi

You can do it very easy, more or less.

You need a rotary switch, for six PC's, 6x2 and a mementary switch.
Cut the cable, inside the PC, they are comming from the Power Button (Front of PC).
!! Only for ATX !!
The cables are connected with a connector to the Mother Board (signed as "Power").
Extend this cables (connector side) to your needed place.
The Rotary (6x2) has 12 outside contact, 6 contacts respectively to 1 centre contact.
When you now solder one of the cables to contact "1" of a outside group and the other one to outside contact "1" of the other group, you have the connectivity from both cables of a PC to both centre contacts.
The Momentary Button is now soldered to the both centre contacts.
If you bush the Button the decided PC starts or shuts down.
In this way you can connect 6 PC's and switch them ON or OFF, one by one.
Do have a safety system (safety of your wife's hand) you can add in line to the Momentary Push Button a 2 position switch with a safety cab that has to be OPEN to lock the switch and with this to activate the Push Button.

Very effective.

Kennair
08-08-2007, 05:52 AM
I love it!

How about a rotating beacon outside the sim to indicate PC (engine) start, or have I moved from ideas to just silly? :roll:

Ken

jmig
08-08-2007, 07:13 AM
On my PC, a salvaged case, the button just turns it on. I have to turn off the power supply to shut it off, or shut down Win XP. You could also run it through the master avionics switch.

On another note, the T-38C has cockpit switches to turn on the PDF & MDF. I was thinking of cutting the 12v power cable, extend it and use a switch for each monitor. In this way, I could turn the monitors on and off.

Trevor Hale
08-08-2007, 08:30 AM
That is a good idea, I am having a new PC built this Christmas and I'll do it to that one. Should be able to parallel with the switch so the PC button still works.
We need an ideas page where things like this can be put on a list for everyone to browse. What about a useful links page? What do you reckon Matt? Trevor? Bob? Larry? Curly? Mo? :)

I agree. Sounds like a great Idea. Lets see what Matt, Larry and Bob suggest. I think an "IDEA" Page in the forum would be a great suggestion. Actually, maybe we should have a "SUGGESTION BOX" For Suggestions..... Hold on a minute......

Where do you put the suggestion to have a suggestions box if there isn't one? Any ideas Gwyn?

JBaymore
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I installed this kind of idea power switch on my overhead a long while back when I first started building the overhead. Since I am building a generic pit.... my head does not tend to get tied to the "real" aircraft's control locations right out to the box.

I have three 110VAC "busses" that are switched (with indicator lights). They are on a simple panel located just above the GPU/APU panel and are just labeled "110VAC Buss A, Buss B, Buss C". This is in turn fused on the overhead fuse panel. Each buss powers up a specific 110VAC outlet which in turn is connected to a computer surge protector power strip. Then specific hardware is plugged into each strip. So for example, one brings up all the pit's LCD/CRT displays, one turns on all the computers, one brings up certain of the peripheral hardware power.

As to the "rotating beacon" idea....... my little concession to realism and a "flight of fancy" (sorry about the pun ;)) is that I have a red flashing high intensity LED mounted on the top of the "box" that contains my sim. (Mine is a square box, not an aircraft nose.) It is aimed up at the white ceiling of the room. It is hooked to the "beacon" light switch on the overhead. When the beacon is "on", there is a little red light reflecting off the ceiling of the room. :cool: (sorry... just had to do it.)

I also have two of these flashing red LEDs mounted inside the cockpit and aimed VERY glancingly at the display area in the front.... one toward the left side and one toward the right. They are hooked to the same "beacon" light switch. When the aircraft's rotating beacons are on in the sim, I can just barely detect tiny little asynchronous reddish flashes when I am looking out the windscreen.

I have ALSO done this inside the pit with the "strobes" light switch and a flashing high intensity white LED. I can just barely see a tiny little white flash when looking out the windscreen. (Wish I could easily make that effect BRIGHTER when the plane is flying through clouds. I'd have to read the in sim Wx, and then vary the supply voltage proportionate to the cloud cover at the plane's location. Woah! Crazy.)

Oh, the stupid things we do................. ;)

best,

.........................john

Westozy
08-08-2007, 11:47 AM
[quote=Where do you put the suggestion to have a suggestions box if there isn't one? Any ideas Gwyn?[/quote]

Aerosim Solutions build a fine range of suggestion boxes starting from our basic "good idea envelope" at $58.

Give our bling blong girl a call now....on 1800 PCAV8R!

Michael Carter
08-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I have switches too on the overhead for powering the 5, 12, and 24VDC busses. There is also a switch for 115VAC. These switches would normally do nothing in the sim, so I figured I'd put them to use.

They would however, work most of the same controls as in the actual aircraft.

Overhead backlights, incandescent MIP lights, the fluorescent glareshield lights, etc. There is a separate switch on the control stand for that panel lighting.

Kennair
08-09-2007, 04:45 AM
John, I applaud your ingenuity, it all adds to the immersion factor. I also applaud your honesty in confessing it ;)

Ken.

Trevor Hale
08-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Aerosim Solutions build a fine range of suggestion boxes starting from our basic "good idea envelope" at $58.

Give our bling blong girl a call now....on 1800 PCAV8R!

ROFL!!!!! 58 Bucks too Gywn... Wow, What a deal.. I will call her now :)

Bob Reed
08-09-2007, 11:07 AM
$58.00!!!!!! <gasp> ROFL :)