PDA

View Full Version : Flaps

Martin Cumming
08-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi

Could someone explain how I get my flaps to correspond to the flap lever. I am using magenta. I find it difficult to get my head around this.

Martin

NicD
08-05-2007, 06:49 PM
First of all - make sure you have the correct aircraft type selected in your CDU software ... that's where PM gets it flap settings from.

Remember to calibrate the flaps axis in your game controller interface.

If the flaps still don't line up then you'll need to use the FSUIPC interface (registered version) and calibrate them on the flaps page. Read the FSUIPC doco for this.

Michael Carter
08-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Using FSUIPC for flap gate settings is pretty easy after you do it a few times.

Put simply, you tell FSUIPC how many gates you have, and FSUIPC knows what your flap travel limit is by how much the pot turns from fully retracted to fully extended.

All you are going to do is tell FSUIPC where the gates are by moving the flap lever. FSUIPC sees this movement as a number related to the overall travel between the lowest number and the highest number your pot travel can produce.

You can set up FSUIPC for up to eight flap gates including full in and full out.

Martin Cumming
08-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I have tried to go the fsuipc route to sort the flaps but it does not accept the imputs. I get the 'dong' to tell me the imputs are out of sequence. However I have carefully imputed each time. I am using the symulatory TQ

Martin

Martin Cumming
08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
I notice that when I move the flap lever the values do not change smoothly. They go,say, 1200,1500,1700 etc which is why the changes are not recognised and I get the 'ding'

NicD
08-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Did you read my earlier post? I use the Symulatory TQ as well and don't need to calibrate with FSUIPC at all ... as long as those first two steps are done.

Martin Cumming
08-07-2007, 06:33 AM
Nic

How do I calibrate flaps axis? When I go to flaps in options I'm told tomove joystick axis that I want to assign to flaps event. I don't understand this.
Regards
Martin

NicD
08-07-2007, 06:50 AM
This is assuming that your TQ is interfaced into FS as a game controller (?) ....

You need to go into windows Game Controllers first (through windows control panel). Select the TQ controller then select 'calibrate'. In sequence you'l be asked to move each axis to its full range... you'll need to find out (by experimentation) what TQ lever is mapped to what axis. For example the left throttle is usually the 'x' axis, right throttle is 'y' axis and so on.

In FS, you assign each axis on your TQ to an FS function... so for example x-axis is assigned to engine-1 throttle. When you're asked to move a control in that interface all FS is doing is identifying the control you want to use for that function (this is not the same as calibrating an axis so how far you move it doesn' matter).

Martin Cumming
08-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks Nic

My TQ is not interfaced with FS. Should it be? There were no instructions telling me to do this from Symulatory.

Regards

Martin

Michael Carter
08-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Nic

How do I calibrate flaps axis? When I go to flaps in options I'm told tomove joystick axis that I want to assign to flaps event. I don't understand this.
Regards
Martin

Don't confuse the axis assignment page with the calibration page. If you do have to use FSUIPC, make sure you select the 'DT' box on the flap calibration page. DT is for 'detents'.

NicD says you don't need this with your set-up, but just in case...

NicD
08-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Hmm.. ok... so how does your TQ plug into your system... USB lead? Or is there a ribbon cable going to an IO card somewhere?

Symulatory never send instructions it seems :rolleyes:

Martin Cumming
08-08-2007, 10:07 AM
It's USB Nic. The trim wheel has started rolling and has a mind of its own. Do you know how I can stop this? The controls in general seem all over the place. What software do I need to re-install to try to sort this out?
Regards

Martin

Michael Carter
08-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Because of the Boeing switch configuration, all of my GA aircraft will do this when first loaded. FS thinks I turned on the AP, so I have to push the AP Release button on the yoke. If not, it will run the trim to the stops, nose down. Not sure if this is what is causing your problem with the pitch trim or not.

It does't do it in the 727.

Martin Cumming
08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
The trim seems to be sorted but still trouble with flaps. As Nic suggested I went to 'Types' in the CDU but my changes made a complete mess of things. Can I get a file suitable for the Symulatory Flaps from anywhere?

Regards

Martin

Bob Reed
08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
It's not your throttle that is the problem, it is the setup and flight model you are using. What flight model? And we will go form there.

Martin Cumming
08-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Bob, it's the B737700 that came with the Magenta CDU

Regards

Martin

Bob Reed
08-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Bob, it's the B737700 that came with the Magenta CDU

Regards

Martin

Ok but what are you using in FS? This is probably where the problem lies. If you are using the FS stock 737 use the 737-400 in PM.

Trevor Hale
08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Martin. What Bob is getting at, is in Flightsim you still select an aircraft to fly. What aircraft is it that your selecting to fly each time you load flightsim. Project Magenta does not like to fight with aircraft panels. This is the reason we strip the panels out of the aircraft models we fly with.

Does this help?

Martin Cumming
08-08-2007, 04:17 PM
I need more tuition here. I select the 737 default in fsx and the 737-400 in Magenta (as susgested by Bob). My flap settings now are as follows. (s=Symulatory flap lever)
s1 = flap 1 (on ms screen)
s2 = flap 2
s5 = flap 20
s10 = flap 20
s15 = flap 20
s25 = flap 20
s30 = flap 25
s40 = flap 40

NicD
08-09-2007, 01:56 AM
What does the PM flaps gauge tell you for those settings?

The PM flaps gauge is an optional gauge in your PM glass cockpit - see the settings / doc to turn it on on your EICAS screen)

Do you have to run any third-party software to get your TQ to work once the USB is plugged in? Or does it just work plug-and-play?

Martin Cumming
08-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Nic, I was in error. Those flap settings were those that appear on my Magenta eicas page. The MS flap settings correspond to the Symulatory flap lever ok.

My TQ and Pedestal use FSbus.

M

Martin Cumming
08-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Sorted! I changed the aircraft file to 737-800 by Steve Reyling and now all is well with the world. Thanks everyone for your imputs which are much appreciated.

Martin