PDA

View Full Version : New video clips

Hans Krohn
07-23-2007, 04:11 AM
Hi guys,

new projection system, new dual core cpu...
A cinematic experience, and my trusty old FS9 now runs smooth as silk!

I put 3 new videos on my website - check them out if you have time.

Best regards,
Hans

www.hanskrohn.com -> site news (or just click the Inflight Video button)

Matt Olieman
07-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Fascinating Hans. Thanks for sharing :)

AndyT
07-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Hans,
I really like the new projection system but I like the older videos better. When I can see you in the sim I get a better feel for the level of immersion. If you could reshoot the vids from the other angle I think they would be better.

Just my opinion. :D

Hans Krohn
07-23-2007, 10:06 AM
...you could reshoot the vids from the other angle I think they would be better.

Hi Andy,

I see your point.
On the other hand, a fixed camera will only show a small portion of the screen; I thought that the panning during the shoot (with the sim in replay) would give a better impression on how my cockpit "feels" nowadays...

I'll shoot some more clips next weekend!

Take care,
Hans

whoispankaj
07-23-2007, 12:11 PM
No words to say....Fantastic..:smile:

Tomlin
07-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Those are neat. I fancy the idea of landing my L45 at St. Barts, but alas, the 'realism' freak in me rears it's ugly head and I dont know if I could bring myself to do it! Ive been eyeing the St. Maartin scenery and deciding if I want it or not- it's a great place to fly the L45 to! But, how many other airports in the scenery/area are actually capable of handling a corporate jet besides Princess Juliana?

Regardless, it's good to see your video projection going so well. Thanks for the videos.

Bob Reed
07-23-2007, 01:07 PM
So whats not real about landing the L45 there? Looks to me that the runways are more then big enough to handle it..... Would seem to me to be the beauty of a biz jet. Go anyplace that could handle the type... Thats why cooperations own them....

Tomlin
07-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Namely because 2100 feet is a bit shy of what's needed to land a Learjet safely! :-) Not to mention actually get it off the ground.

Real life story....One day while plane spotting out at Craig Airport in Jacksonville, FL, there was a Falcon jet that had came in a few hours earlier and several people were wondering if the thing would make it out safely. About 20 minutes later, the crew walked out, preflighted, and fired her up. While she was being taxied down to the active, a crowd gathered outside and with the exception of the birds in the trees and the sound of the engines on that Falcon jet, you coulnt hear a sound. Everyone stood, waiting to see how much of the 4000' long runway she would eat up before she rotated. She made it, but only narrowly. I'd guess there was only 2-300 feet left of runway by the time it rotated.

Hans Krohn
07-24-2007, 04:47 AM
As a matter of fact that L45 landing was my last flight in the sim. So I have to fiere it up again to see if I can take off. My guess is I can, but payload and fuel will have to be at a minimum. Just enough fuel to get me to Princess Juliana Airport on St.Marten!

Btw, I have all realism settings in FS9 cranked up to max. For this flight, I used the standard FS9 Lear45. Braking was done with the two differential brakes, no thrust reverser. And since I came in a bit to fast, I did need all of the runway...

Hans

Trevor Hale
07-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Namely because 2100 feet is a bit shy of what's needed to land a Learjet safely! :-) Not to mention actually get it off the ground.

Real life story....One day while plane spotting out at Craig Airport in Jacksonville, FL, there was a Falcon jet that had came in a few hours earlier and several people were wondering if the thing would make it out safely. About 20 minutes later, the crew walked out, preflighted, and fired her up. While she was being taxied down to the active, a crowd gathered outside and with the exception of the birds in the trees and the sound of the engines on that Falcon jet, you coulnt hear a sound. Everyone stood, waiting to see how much of the 4000' long runway she would eat up before she rotated. She made it, but only narrowly. I'd guess there was only 2-300 feet left of runway by the time it rotated.

We Have a Dassault Falcon 900b and Falcon 50. based on a 6,000 foot runway, We arrive and depart out of airports with as little as 4,000 feet often. Those things are powerhouses. But I think 4,000 would be a minimum :)

Trev

Tomlin
07-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi Trev

I was wondering when you'd chime in with the Falcon info! Yeah, I have no idea of the performance of that aircraft, and it's interesting to hear from you that 4000 is about the minimum because that's what CRG's longest runway is. In response to Hans' comments on no reverse thrust, My goodness, you managed your speed well then (or burned the brakes up one!).

Tomlin
07-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Okay, just for the heck of it, (now that I have the real L45 data!) the absolute minimum for the L45 to land at Sea Level at 86 degrees and only 14000 lbs is 2240 feet. Hans, you performed a miracle!

Hans Krohn
07-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi guys,

I managed to take off again from St.Barts 2.100 ft runway, in the Lear45! I had to make the plane light, but anyway, it was just a short hop back to TNCM.

I shot a clip of the final approach to Princess Juliana Airport, using a different camera technique. For those who are interested: It's on my site... enjoy!

Regards,
Hans

Westozy
07-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Hi Hans,
I'm wondering what you use and how you put videos onto your website, it's something I would like to do later.

Regards Gwyn

Hans Krohn
07-25-2007, 03:15 AM
Hi Gwyn,

I just use my digital foto camera, a Sony (forgot what model). In the standard res mode the videos are small enough to put them on my site without recompression.

Regards,
Hans

Westozy
07-25-2007, 03:29 AM
Hi Gwyn,

I just use my digital foto camera, a Sony (forgot what model). In the standard res mode the videos are small enough to put them on my site without recompression.

Regards,
Hans

Cheers Hans, I guess you are using the camera's software then? I don't have a capture card or any means of getting video into the PC which is annoying as I have very good video editing software and have made a few music videos of my band. It looks like I need a capture card after all.

Gwyn

NicD
07-25-2007, 04:34 AM
You should be able to get videos off your camera the same way you get picture files... its all straightforward.

Be wary though of hosting video files on your own website... if your host have bandwidth limits then you could end up paying excess charges if the videos get played a fair bit (I've had my clips played nearly 2400 times in 6 weeks). Thats why I went with YouTube ... dead easy to upload, link/embed in the site, and its free.

Tomlin
07-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Hans,

I am impressed by the landing at TNCM- that scenery looks really amazing when it's so large on your visual system. I went home at lunch and tried out the L45 at KSEA by FlyTampa, and I have very acceptable frame rates. Do you think that I would get similar performance at TNCM, as I want to buy this scenery now. Their website doesnt list any pc specs that I can find, but it does list them for the KSEA, and like I said my machine runs it smooth. I read good reviews about the TNCM performance, but would like to know if you have any comments?

My machine:

AMD 2800xp
7600GT 256 MB card
1 Gig RAM

magicaldr
07-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Hans thats amazing footage, and more amazing to meet you here as it was your site a few years back that started me into flight simulators and trying to make a home cockpit. That was based just on your photo's, its even better to see it all coming together live.

So thanks for the footage, and for starting me in this hobby :)

Tomlin
07-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Hans, you have some very helpful info on your site for all builders. I really like your simple approach to building a landing gear lever, which is essentially the same for the L45 I believe.

BTW, I downloaded TNCM last night and I am amazed! I have only flew at Saba so far (I want to fly into TCNM from the States just for realism) and I think that I may have you 'beat' a bit with takeoff from a short runway. Bob, you will be proud- Just for fun, I lightened up the L45 to just 170 lbs of fuel and two pilots, and actually took OFF from Saba successfully! Of course, I doubt it could be done in real life but anyways...that's why we build sims! :-)

Bob Reed
07-27-2007, 11:49 AM
;) Yup that is what it is all about.. Once in a while!!