PDA

View Full Version : UK Home Cockpit Builder

magicaldr
06-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi All, here is my hello page. I am a UK based home PC flyer. Not a real pilot, just a part time flyer with my head in the clouds. Spend most of my time in GA aircraft or heli's.

My 'home cockpit' has had a few itterations, nothing too solid however. I would love an enclosed cockpit, and got close to buying a crashed GA aircraft once on ebay to build into. Sadly my house does not have space for anything that grand, so now designing something a lot more low key.

I have finally purchased a new graphics card, and with FSX SP1 I can actually fly with smooth frame rates. I now have 2 monitors after work threw out an old 19in CRT. Now I am just in the process of planning a way to make a 'desktop' cockpit panel to house my 2 go flight modules and host the monitors without just stacking them on the PC.

A screenshot of my current setup is below. Hoping to get some ideas from the photo's around the site and to reach for a saw and some wood soon...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/magicaldr/braisby.net/images/HomeCockpit_June2007.jpg

Bob Reed
06-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Hey Magicaldr! Looks like you have a cockpit to me. And I know how that is. Once you dark down the dark path... Forever keep you it will!! Welcome and take a look at what others have done who have liited space! There is still a lot that can be done.

Westozy
06-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Welcome aboard MyCockpit...do it, build the enclosure! It doubles the simulation!

Regards Gwyn

magicaldr
06-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome, so rare to find 'active' cockpit sites :) Still I can already see the wife heading for the appropriate area of the site to post her woes at her mad husband...

One day I will get the enclosure, but for now I live with my helmet which adds a lot of immersion. I just wish it fitted better, so watching ebay for an extra large one.

Playing around this evening with the monitors it actually works better to allow the lower one to overlap the CRT. That way I can lean up and look over the instruments, all without a trackir. (Also on my 'wanted' list)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/magicaldr/braisby.net/images/SNV32643%28small%29.JPG http://homepage.ntlworld.com/magicaldr/braisby.net/images/SNV32645%28Small%29.JPG

wollo
06-23-2007, 04:59 AM
Welcome to the fold. Nice setup you have there. Im building a single seat enclosure in a 2 bed flat. My sim room is 3mx4m, tight but doable. You can see in the gallery section.
I've also put my bottom monitor slightly overlapping my "outside view" for the same reasons as you, works well I'd agree.
I'd strongly recommend a trackir if you only have one outside view. I can fly really good patterns now that i have one.
Keep up the work and report back when you can. Good luck.

Bill.

richdalek
03-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Heelo Guys
I am based in Southampton UK and have two aircraft seats prpbably from a sea king helicoptor - nice things - anyone want to buy them? 07961 741080
richard.hazelgrove@gmail.com