PDA

View Full Version : What to buy next

rrkiser2
06-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Hello everyone!
I have the computer and FSX and some familiarity with flying from the early days of flight sim. There is so much out there. I guess the first thing I should get would be the yoke, pedals, and throttle quadrant. Is CH the best and where is the best buy on these items.
Thanks for you help

Ralph

JBaymore
06-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi Ralph. Welcome.

For the best deal I've found on the CH Products stuff go to GotInk4U.com.

They have a good price all the time on the CH stuff.

Tell em' the cockpit building guy in Wilton, NH sent you. ;)

They are about 1/2 hour drive from me and right at the end of the runway at KASH.

best,

.....................john

Tim
06-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Not stepping on your toes John, but I like and use the Vmax AFCS III yoke. http://www.simpilot.com/avsim.htm A bit pricey, but a very nice and fluid unit. I do use the CH Pro Pedals.

Almost everything else is GoFlight, though I do wish they would provide more customer service. Their biggest fault in my opinion. http://www.goflightinc.com/order/index.php

Richard

rrkiser2
06-12-2007, 09:37 PM
John,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I greatly appreciate it.

Ralph

rrkiser2
06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Tim,
Thanks to you as well. It is great to be on a site that does not appear to be intimidating and people are ready and willing to help.
Ralph

rrkiser2
06-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Tim,
My son flies a Saab 304B for USAIR Express out of Albany. That's interesting that the yoke is modeled after this plane. It is a bit pricey, however with my son making captain in about 3 weeks I might have to go with it.
Ralph

rrkiser2
06-12-2007, 11:07 PM
John,Tim,
How is the best way to run 3 monitors? My video card is a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 Gs. I keep seeing this advertisement for a Matrox TripleHead2Go hardware, but I also see other Postings at other sites running 3 monitors in different ways.

Thanks Again for everyone's help

Ralph

Westozy
06-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Triplehead2go is a great way to go, I am using a Matrox Parhelia triplehead card but will be upgrading to the TH2go with the next PC. Very easy to set up and use.

Gwyn

jmig
06-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I use the TH2Go with an IRTrack. Together they are the best thing since the joystick was invented. I am having problems with FSX filling the three screens. It wants to only use the middle screen. I look at it and wonder how I flew before. LOL

Welcome to the group!

rrkiser2
06-14-2007, 09:55 PM
What are you doing to get three screens?

jmig
06-14-2007, 10:07 PM
What are you doing to get three screens?

I use the Matrox TH2Go (Triple Head 2 Go) with three 19" Samsung LCD's. I have attached a couple of pictures of the screen. The airplane is Real Air's SF-260. A dream to fly.

rrkiser2
06-16-2007, 08:02 PM
John,
Thanks for your reply. Those look like great shots. I am using a dell xps, intel core2 Duo processor 1.86 GHz, 1066FSB,(I guess thats okay), 3.5 GB DDR2 at 667 MHz,GeForce 7900 GS 1 250 GB Serial Ata Hard Drive 7200 RPM W/databurst Cach.
Not sure what all of that means but have been advised to update my graphics card, but it looks like I would be better off investing in the monitors. Thanks again for the reply.
Ralph

jmig
06-16-2007, 08:55 PM
John,
Thanks for your reply. Those look like great shots. I am using a dell xps, intel core2 Duo processor 1.86 GHz, 1066FSB,(I guess thats okay), 3.5 GB DDR2 at 667 MHz,GeForce 7900 GS 1 250 GB Serial Ata Hard Drive 7200 RPM W/databurst Cach.
Not sure what all of that means but have been advised to update my graphics card, but it looks like I would be better off investing in the monitors. Thanks again for the reply.
Ralph

I have a 7900 card. There is nothing wrong with it. A year ago it was top of the line We have similar systems. I use an AMD 64-2 dual core processor with 2 GB ram. I can easily run FSX or FS9 with the three monitors and IRTrack.

My recommendation to anyone who wants to bring MSFS up several notches is to get the Matrox TH2Go and IRTrack. With them, I am able to fly fighter overheads, break and landings, just like I once did for real. VC cockpits become real and flyable. It is almost like sitting in the real airplane.

rrkiser2
06-20-2007, 11:10 PM
John,
It looks like monitors' and TH2go with IRTrack is the way to go. Thanks for your input and advice. I will be in touch.

Ralph

ekezz
07-28-2007, 10:32 AM
And how did it work out?

I'm considering the Triplehead2go Digital version.
Want to wait a bit on buying LCS's or projectors.

?? Is it possible to attach analogue monitors on it with a converter plug?

Found this at the matrox site

Flexible device supports both dual-monitor configurations at a maximum resolution of up to 3840 x 1200 (2x 1920x1200)<SUP>1</SUP> and triple-monitor configurations with a maximum resolution of up to 3840 x 1024 (3x 1280x1024)<SUP>1</SUP> with digital or analog monitors.

So I suppose I can do it in stages.

rrkiser2
08-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Would it be better to have Trackir and one large monitor or multiple monitors?
This would be the question. Has anyone had experience both ways?
Thanks

jmig
08-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Would it be better to have Trackir and one large monitor or multiple monitors?
This would be the question. Has anyone had experience both ways?
Thanks

If I had to pick between RH2Go and three monitors or Track IR and a single monitor, I would choose Track IR. It allows you to look around. Three monitors give you a wider field of view but you can't look around except by panning.

Just my opinion.

NicD
08-26-2007, 07:24 PM
A friend of mine tried trackIR with a large display. It induced disorientation, vertigo and nausea. Why? .. because if you're using it in a fixed cockpit environment that's not what it's built for. You can't pan around the outside view and keep the inside view constant ... screws with the brain! :)

rrkiser2
08-26-2007, 07:35 PM
On a different subject, it looks like Saitek is coming out with a Yoke and Throttle Quadrant
Has anyone used their rudder pedals?

Thanks for all the input, it is really helpful as I get ready to spend my money.
Everyone seems to already have the CH Products and for example on Amazon they get the best rating.

jmig
08-26-2007, 08:22 PM
A friend of mine tried trackIR with a large display. It induced disorientation, vertigo and nausea. Why? .. because if you're using it in a fixed cockpit environment that's not what it's built for. You can't pan around the outside view and keep the inside view constant ... screws with the brain! :)

I use it with 3 monitors in VC. Maybe my brain is already gone, :lol: but it doesn't bother me. You can also pause it when looking down or turn off the downward motion.