PDA

View Full Version : Info on my beamer setup available!

Hans Krohn
05-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi guys,

I updated my webpage with some info on my new beamer setup!

Go to www.hanskrohn.com --> site news --> Projection System. At the end of that page is a video I shot last night: Checkerboard approach to Kai Tak!

Enjoy!!!

Hans

Bob Reed
05-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Be sure to refresh the page or you may not see that listing ni the news!! I didn't!

Hans Krohn
05-17-2007, 10:34 AM
That's because you are on my site so often, Bob! Your PC probabely thought it's best to create a mirror image on your local drive... LOL

But seriously: did you find the new page (after refreshing)?

Best,
Hans

Bob Reed
05-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh ya!!!! All I can do is stare and drool!!!!

Hans Krohn
05-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Actually, I am still in that phase myself...

Trevor Hale
05-17-2007, 11:36 AM
OMG!!! That is the most amazing images I have seen to date. I am so jealous. Great job Hans.

Trev

Hans Krohn
05-17-2007, 12:31 PM
more to come! I promise...

PaulEMB
05-17-2007, 05:36 PM
An excelent job, Hans

I am impressed with your mount idea - I orignally had a similar plan, but was discouraged by the results of my early efforts at producing a full size shell - getting to the ceiling above the cockpit requires a cherry picker, and I don't have one!

I agree with your comments about looking in, looking out - adds a degree of realism you don't get with monitors, but the best compliment on the 3 screen setup was from a friend who is an A340 captain for TAP - I got a Nikon digital SLR for my birthday, and took some shots of my approach to Lisbon last weekend - on showing him, he changed his mind from "Oh its a toy - why waste the money?" to scheduling a trip over to Spain to see for himself!

As for visuals - we, as true hobby lunatics, will never be happy, even if we had 5 projectors - but remember when we were happy with a desktop system and a 14" CRT?

Oh, and the best - I am trying my Overhead with pmystems - (problems), so on Sunday I am trying the same flight LEMD LPPT - around 26,000 ft I get autopilot problems, low speed and altitude increasing, no MCP functions - before I worked out what the problem was, I disconnected the A/P, manually corrected, and re engaged the A/P - after several cycles, and some pretty violent manoevers, I began to feel motion sickness, and after 5 mins bugged out.

My wife will not enter the sim now when I am even on the ground taxying, as she gets sick, but its the first time it happened to me.

ps above problem was of course the not setting of the AntiIcing system

pps - for those thinking of building a home cockpit . there are cheaper ways of making yourself feel sick! (Maybe not so spectacular - what must the passengers think when the pilot is shouting for "Hughie!" (maybe thats why the FAA called for insulated cockit doors)

- just reminded me of another story when I was in the first row of a a Marroc Regional Beech withe the First Officer on a check ride - doesn't fill you with courage when the captain wraps the F/O on the knuckles on take off - "Dont touch that!" (Flight deck door policy is that it will probably slam shut after take off) - After that the flight was great, apart from the aeroplane calling out "TERRAIN, TERRAIN" as we approached Malaga.

To be fair to the F/O, he was great and loading and getting the luggage out.

mauriceb
05-17-2007, 05:38 PM
That's one heck of a beautiful installation for the beamers. I will be taking my inspiration from you when I'm ready for projectors. :wink:

Thanks for sharing,
Maurice

Westozy
05-18-2007, 12:12 AM
Great stuff Hans again,

Quote - "My wife will not enter the sim now when I am even on the ground taxying, as she gets sick, but its the first time it happened to me".

I too have had a few people bail out with motion sickness, it makes me LOL and is very encouraging to think I'm getting it right, and that's with only a single projector!

Gwyn