PDA

View Full Version : Flightdeck solutions or FlightDeck Tech interface

pmillerrusso
05-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Hello,

I am at a cross roads in my building effort/planning... do I go with Flight Deck solutions interfaceit or Flightdeck tech's simboards?

ANy opinions?

Peter

Project: 737ng

Bob Reed
05-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Well, if you plan on using FDS's IBL panels then you want to go with there interface. If you do not plan in using FDS's panels then I would go with FDT's boards. Just my 2 cents....

Gsey
05-15-2007, 01:03 PM
It all depends on what you want to accomplish yourself. By that I mean if you want to build everything yourself from MCP to FMS and radios then your probably better going with FDT. FDS is moving to a more plug and play direction and I cant say I blame them. Just take a look at some of the recent posts in the FDT forum to see the shortfalls with the current support for that system. But there is no reson why you cant use a combination of both depending on the specific function. As an example Im using FDS, phidgets, beta innovations Go flight and hagstrom depending on what I need.

The new FDS sys cards are a dream to use though and the support is superb.

Brent Vernon, the developer of the InterfaceIT system for FDS is an absolute genious, and has bought that system to the point where is works flawlessly in professional training devices. I dont think the same can be said for many of the other systems out there.

Gary

Bob Reed
05-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Like I said if you are going to use FDS's panels use there interface other wise use something else.... FDS's support for anything other then there panels is not great. They do not have a interface for rotarys.. Lots of rotays in a cockpit...BUT remember if you are using FDS's panels this is not a problem!

Gsey
05-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Like I said if you are going to use FDS's panels use there interface other wise use something else.... FDS's support for anything other then there panels is not great. They do not have a interface for rotarys.. Lots of rotays in a cockpit...BUT remember if you are using FDS's panels this is not a problem!

I think you need to be more specific Bob. Rotary encoders or rotary switches?

Rotary switches out number rotary encoders 10 to 1 in a cockpit and interfacing rotary switches in not a problem.

Gary

Bob Reed
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Sorry , thought I stated.. Rotary encoders and yes rotary switches are different. A rotary switch is a switch but there are a LOT of rotary encoders in a cockpit.. ECIAS panel, radios, MCP, MIP, overhead ( a few in the 737)

vidarf
05-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I would go for the FDS SYS boards. They are VERY easy to work with.

There is NO connection between FDS panels, IBL and the SYS cards. You can buy FDS IBL panels and use Opencockpits if you want.
I am using the SYS boards with FlyEngravity panels.

As for rotary encoders: You could use Opencockpits for those, or buy finished products like CPFlight or FDS MCP.

As for the radios: Check out the new Opencockpits Multi-radio module...

Bob Reed
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Ok apparently I am not being clear. If you are going to build your cockpit with FDS parts use the FDS sys boards. If you use FDS plug and play parts there is no need for rotary encoder stuff as it is built in to the modules. And the sys boards are easy to use for the extra switches and things you need. If you are not going to use FDS parts and modules for your cockpit , I would recommend a different interface. Is that more clear?

Trevor Hale
05-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Hello,

I am at a cross roads in my building effort/planning... do I go with Flight Deck solutions interfaceit or Flightdeck tech's simboards?

ANy opinions?

Peter

Project: 737ng

I think you need to evaluate the units independently. If you are going to use FDS to supply your entire cockpit, use their interface. If you want options to use a little of everything or your going to home brew parts of your cockpit. Then I would suggest you stay with an interface like Phidgets, Simboards, Epic, etc.

Good luck with your cockpit endeavors. No matter what interface you decide upon.

pmillerrusso
05-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Great replies - thanks everyone - looks like a great place for sharing!

PaulEMB
05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
For my 2 cents worth -

the FDS SYS boards allow you to connect to any hardware (except rotary encoders) and are
a) easy to wire up, which you can do with little technical knowledge, just common sense.
b) the best part is the Interface IT, which allows you to recognise each switch or LED, via the software, and tell it the required function.

I am also using the FDS G1 card for the glare functions, which is more complex to connect, but also relatively pain free (speaking as an electronicis idiot)

BUT, I have no experience of other cards, so may be biased - only speaking from experience.

EDIT - Of course with the FDS Plug and Play panels the SYS cards are standard, but I have a non standard set up made of normal switches, and LEDs wired by hand.

Bob Reed
05-15-2007, 04:45 PM
For my 2 cents worth -

the FDS SYS boards allow you to connect to any hardware (except rotary encoders) and are
a) easy to wire up, which you can do with little technical knowledge, just common sense.
b) the best part is the Interface IT, which allows you to recognise each switch or LED, via the software, and tell it the required function.

I am also using the FDS G1 card for the glare functions, which is more complex to connect, but also relatively pain free (speaking as an electronicis idiot)

BUT, I have no experience of other cards, so may be biased - only speaking from experience.

EDIT - Of course with the FDS Plug and Play panels the SYS cards are standard, but I have a non standard set up made of normal switches, and LEDs wired by hand.

What you have done with your own experience is just what the doctor ordered. It helps folks decide what they want to try.. Always good to hear what you have done!

Gsey
05-15-2007, 05:11 PM
We have certianly come along way since the original InterfaceIT beta team many moons ago hey Bob :-)

Peter, is doesnt matter which way you decide to go, you can be sure that you will have a nice functioning cockpit. One recommendation though is that if you are going to use more than one product line, use that product line for the whole area. eg overhead with pm systems. If you choose FDT,FDS, phidgets,opencockpits etc make sure you do your whole overhead with that product, That way you will gaurantee yourself that you will have no conflict problems.

Gary

Bob Reed
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
We have certianly come along way since the original InterfaceIT beta team many moons ago hey Bob :-)

Peter, is doesnt matter which way you decide to go, you can be sure that you will have a nice functioning cockpit. One recommendation though is that if you are going to use more than one product line, use that product line for the whole area. eg overhead with pm systems. If you choose FDT,FDS, phidgets,opencockpits etc make sure you do your whole overhead with that product, That way you will gaurantee yourself that you will have no conflict problems.

Gary

YES!!!! Very good suggestion! And yes Gary we most certainly have come a long way!

Michael Carter
05-15-2007, 10:35 PM
For my 2 cents worth -

the FDS SYS boards allow you to connect to any hardware...

That is not quite true.

There is no provision for wiring any indicators that are not LED's without an additional circuit involving a relay, a cap, and a Darlington transistor pair.

Yes, it can be done, but only with an additional circuit.

The top of the line FTD board will however, allow direct connection of any actual aircraft indicators you might wish to use, and at up to 30VDC. No additional circuitry is required other than a power supply.

Now I will add as a disclaimer, the FDS boards were never designed for use with actual aircraft equipment. Only LED's.

There are not many 737, 757, 767, etc, parts on the market, so using the real equipment (indicators, etc.) was never something FDS anticipated anyone wanting to do.

There are a few 727 builders around though that would have appreciated it. :D

PaulEMB
05-16-2007, 03:24 AM
Quite correct - that's what I meant to say :oops:

I agree with the output side as well - as long as all you want is LEDs or a low power 2.5V they work fine.

The ERJ overhead has a rotary encoder for FADEC inputs, so I also need to find a different solution for that.