PDA

View Full Version : 2 monitors

Bob Reed
05-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Ok guys I am about to go out and build the other table to hold my second 42" monitor so here is the question.. Should I put the side by side in a straight line or should I angle them, wide end twords the sim front windows? 45deg or less?

Trevor Hale
05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Ok guys I am about to go out and build the other table to hold my second 42" monitor so here is the question.. Should I put the side by side in a straight line or should I angle them, wide end twords the sim front windows? 45deg or less?

I would angle them in, but only slightly, I would make them the same angle your 2 front windows would be on if you had them. You will have to test it Bob. But I think you will like the effect

BlackWidow
05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Bob i would angle them to. I plan on doing that with mine .

Martin Arant
05-29-2007, 10:25 AM

Bob,

I'm running a projector now with my PM 737NG cockpit... but am considering going with (2) 36 or 42' LCD monitors (one for each front view).

Can you give me any advise as to LCD types, source, and if you are using the Matrox dual or triple head... or just the dual video output on your graphics card.

Thanks in advance.

Marty Arant-Vmax

Matt Olieman
05-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi Marty, I guess depending how much you want to spend :) I was at Best Buy the other day with a new LCD 40 or 42" (can't remember). It blew me away... 15,000:1 contrast. I don't know the other particulars, but I was quite impressed $2,200.

Please keep in mind when looking at a LCD, two things, the contrast (such as above) and the refresh rate (should be around 5 ms or less).

Bob Reed
08-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry I missed this before. There is one other thing to remember using 2 monitors.. The monitor case in the middle of the screen. I get a little earated over this as it is the only thing to spoiling a very nice view. It is not a problem until final approach either! If you can make this compromise (there is that word again) you will be happy. Matt is right look at the contrast ratio!! Very important, the higher the number the better. Other then the runway thing my graphics are very nice!

Kennair
08-15-2007, 03:55 AM
Of course 3 screens will fix your centreline issue

Ken. ;)

JBaymore
08-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Or the digital version of the Matrox TripleHead2Go that has the "cancel out the monitor frame" mode.

best,

..........john

Bob Reed
08-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Of course 3 screens will fix your centreline issue

Ken. ;)

Yes this would but would also cause my death.... Another 42" plasma screen is not in the family budget in the near future!!! :)

Bob Reed
08-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Or the digital version of the Matrox TripleHead2Go that has the "cancel out the monitor frame" mode.

best,

..........john

Problem here John.... There is a frame.. Cant remove it so it would be there anyway....

sas550
08-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Problem here John.... There is a frame.. Cant remove it so it would be there anyway....

True, but the digital version compensate the picture by cutting off the frame thickness. Ie. if a stone where placed exactly in the middle off the pic you will see half the stone on one monitor and the other half on the second. That will make the stone much thicker than it actually is. With the digital version a part of the stone will be hidden behind the frames.

And what about stripping the monitors from the case? I have done it with my 17" monitors. I guess it's a different story with a big monitor like that. Is it a tv aswel?

Bob Reed
08-15-2007, 01:17 PM
True, but the digital version compensate the picture by cutting off the frame thickness. Ie. if a stone where placed exactly in the middle off the pic you will see half the stone on one monitor and the other half on the second. That will make the stone much thicker than it actually is. With the digital version a part of the stone will be hidden behind the frames.

Thats the way it works now. It is one screen "stretched" across the 2 monitors not 2 independent monitors, they act as one. And that explains why I lose the runway on approach, it hides behind the frame. So I just keep the runway slightly off center so I can see it.

Tomlin
08-15-2007, 02:21 PM
will be hidden behind the frames.

And what about stripping the monitors from the case? I have done it with my 17" monitors. I guess it's a different story with a big monitor like that. Is it a tv aswel?

SAS550,

I am contemplating the removal of my monitor bezels. Have you any suggetions on how to do this safely?

JBaymore
08-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Right...so you wouldn't see what was behind it if it truly was an aircaft window, right? SO I THOUGHT the "monitor bezel" mode of that new unit did just that. Takes a slice out of the view and "loses" it. Doesn't it?

best,

...................john

JBaymore
08-15-2007, 02:49 PM
So I just keep the runway slightly off center so I can see it.

Since in the aircraft you are flying, you are sitting in the left hand seat....not on the centerline, wouldn't that be closer to the actual view?

best,

...................john

sas550
08-15-2007, 03:03 PM
SAS550,

I am contemplating the removal of my monitor bezels. Have you any suggetions on how to do this safely?

They're very different from model to model. Be very cautious, that's all.

Bob Reed
08-15-2007, 03:20 PM

Yes they are TVs and are capable of 1024x768 native. I am hooked to there VGA inputs but I am going to switch to the DVI inputs they have as my card does those as well. This will switch me over to digital on them. We will see if that makes a difference on them. I have thought about trying to remove the edges of the frames where they come together but my brother who know more about this stuff recommends not doing that. So.... I am stuck with the frame in the middle of the pic. I have a projector that I will play with but it will have to be pretty good for me to switch.