PDA

View Full Version : New Home for my Sim

Matt Olieman
05-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Some of you know that I just went through a major move and have not been around much. It's been quite a project, more then I have expected.

I apologize for my absence and thank my fellow site partners and administrators for keeping things going here. Unfortunately there are still things that are keeping me away from mycockpit.org, but, I should gradually start to get back into the swing of things :)

Below is a photo of my NEW "Sim-Room." Lot's of work to be done to the structure before my sim will be back in action.

The room is 24.5' and 24.5' The plan is to have this area dry-walled, independently heat and air conditioned, insulated, new lighting, a raised 8' X 16' room against the back wall, and epoxy the sim room floor. The sim will be totally enclosed and accessible from the 8 X 16 room.

First think I've got to accomplish is to empty the room :roll: Here is a pic of the room as of today.

http://mycockpit.org/photos/MattO/SimRoom-001-R.jpg

Bob Reed
05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
HI MATT!!!! GOOD to hear from you. Not to belittle the job ahead of you but there seems to be a lot of sim boxes in that shot. Means, I am sorry to say, they have to stay! Not allowed to stray out of you designated space ya know! Anyway looks great and I look forward to watching that space improve... Oh and did I say how good it is to see you??!!!:smile:

brianwilliamson
05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Welcome back Matt. Nice to see a Bus back on air shortly ! Not sure where you located now, but Heating? One thing I do not have to worry about here.
Cheers....................Brian W.

Trevor Hale
05-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Great to have you back Matt.

I look forward to seeing you on more often. Stay healthy, and be good.

Trev

W9XE/Project777
05-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Matt:

Great to see you made it through the move OK. There is a lot of stuff there but not pilled ceiling to floor front to back so just a matter of time.

Actually fired the sim up this week and did some on-line flying around a bit with some of the Mycockpit builders. Had to stay mostly in the helicopter for crash recovery (Sorry Trevor):roll: A whole lot of fun.

I need to get back in the books and learn the 777 software. Spending most of my time selling on eBay to stockpile some cash for the project. Looks like this year will be a good year for really being able to but something together and get the parts out of the music studio

Westozy
05-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Good to see your plans in progress Matt. Hi Larry, you've been quiet for a while!

Gwyn

Matt Olieman
05-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the kind words from all.

There IS light at the end of the tunnel :wink: It's important for my wife and I to make this look like home as much as possible. So lot's of unpacking and finding a permanent place for everything....

Regarding boxes to the ceiling.... the other garage is stacked :(

I've got an electrician coming next week to do some wiring (not sim related) and have already discussed the power I need in the "Sim-Room." That's a step forward to my project :D I've also made some preliminary floor plan drawings for the "Sim-Room." Now I got to work the finances..... that always seems to get into the way somehow :wink:

More later....

Matt Olieman
11-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I was looking at the date of the last post in this thread.... "WOW" :( how time flies...

After all these months of interruptions, I've finally started to get my act together. My project plans, were JUST TO BIG, and was just difficult to get it started. I finally had to back up and decided to take little steps, rather then the BIG GIANT ones that I hoped for.

The picture in the first post, does not justify my mess, it got WAY worse then the photo. So this past weekend I started, moving the unnecessary stuff out!!!! One step at a time :)

Once I have my mess cleaned up and somewhat organized I hope to put in a live streaming video of my project. As some of you (old timers) my recall, I had a live camera through "Pal-talk."

Just a positive update of my project :)

Bob Reed
11-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Matt.... I have waited for this day!! I went through the same thing after tearing my pit apart for the move. You just have to step back and look at it realistically... It is just like waiting until you have the money for that 1 part to get going.. Well.... I found don't wait for that, work on something else while you wait. Man live stream yes, Trevor and I are running streams when we are in our cockpits.... Man good to have you in the pit world again!!!!

Michael Carter
11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
I do that too. It keeps the drudge factor down a lot.

If I can't, or don't feel like working on something I move to something else.

Matt Olieman
11-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the support guys :)

Besides spending time getting ready for my sim, I flew my new toy for the first time today :) :)

http://mycockpit.org/photos/NewToy1stDayFly.jpg

737NUT
11-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Is that an extra 260? I didn't know you were into rc planes. I sold several to get my pilot's license, The cessna 310, 35% extra 330LX, 33% Extra 230, 1/4 scal Citabria, and a trainer for my son.

Rob

Matt Olieman
11-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Rob,
Yes, Hanger 9, Extra 260, 27 scale. I'm new to the hobby, LOVE IT!!!! Do you still fly, and any planes left in your inventory?

737NUT
11-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I sold all mine to help finance the real deal. I doubt i will fly RC anymore as flying the real plane is much more fun. :) Now if i hit the lottery, i'll fly it all! LOL

Michael Carter
11-10-2007, 02:29 AM
I flew RC for a very short time in the early eighties. I decided if I was going to crash I'd rather be in the real aircraft.

I sold my first Great Planes trainer after about six months. I couldn't bear to think about all of that work lost in a split second of stupidness or carelessness.

I got my private certificate about two years later.

That's a great looking plane Matt. I envy those guys who build and can fly them. I can't get used to that crossed control business when it's coming at you or an angle similar.

737NUT
11-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I used to be a pretty good RC pilot and now having flown the real deal i can tell you first hand that the old saying is TRUE! It is easier to fly a real one than to fly an RC airplane!

I just wish the cessna 172 i fly would roll like the Sukoi did that i used to fly! LOL

737NUT
11-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Matt,
Forgot to ask, do you fly there in front of your house? Looks like you got plenty of room?

I have thought about putting a runway on my property but then it would add to my already huge upkeep around here.