PDA

View Full Version : Stick Shaker

Twizzstyle
05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi there-

I have been building a 737ng simulator for a few months now. I really want to add a stick shaker, but I really have no idea where to begin. I've done quite a bit of searching online, but no real info.

Basically I need something that, when Flight Sim (using MS Flight Sim X) activates stick shaker (or whatever stall warning), "something" will turn on a motor with an offset weight... seems simple enough to me. But it is the "something" that I'm lost on.

I have looked at "Phidgets" online, does anybody have any experience with that? I also see "Epic" used...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am new to this board, so I will try to get some photos of my flight deck up soon.

Bob Reed
05-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Good day Twizz and WELCOME TO THE NIGHTMARE!!! Well the dreaded IO interface question! It is all going to depend on what else you want your interface to do. I would think FDT boards would be a good choice and Phidgets would be another. It really does depend what else you want them to do that I would make a suggestion on which one. Now I use EPIC in my cockpit.... But, that is another story.

Twizzstyle
05-02-2007, 06:02 PM
For now, I want it for stick shaker only. Maybe if there's room to grow on it I'll do something else WAY down the line, but its primary function is stick shaker.

I already have my throttles and MCP (GoFlight), and I don't plan on running any other switches or displays.

wollo
05-02-2007, 06:06 PM
I think you could use IOcards and maybe a relay card to switch current to whatever motor you desire. I'm Just getting into this now so I couldn't say about the programming side but I'm sure someone else will help out there.
Bill

Trevor Hale
05-02-2007, 06:47 PM
For now, I want it for stick shaker only. Maybe if there's room to grow on it I'll do something else WAY down the line, but its primary function is stick shaker.

I already have my throttles and MCP (GoFlight), and I don't plan on running any other switches or displays.

Hey Twizz,

The only issue your going to have with this is it will be one expensive Stick shaker.. LOL

Kind of funny though, because when you buy an interface and use it for your stick shaker you will have plenty of room on the interface card to add the next (only thing) you want to add.

Welcome to the community, I think you will find everything you need here.

Best regards,

Trev

Gsey
05-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I use the phidgets interface kit 0/0/4 and fs2phidgets software. I run 15v across both shakers. Even though its not 28v it still is quite loud and gives a nice shake with the benifit of not breaking anything.

Gary

Twizzstyle
05-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I use the phidgets interface kit 0/0/4 and fs2phidgets software. I run 15v across both shakers. Even though its not 28v it still is quite loud and gives a nice shake with the benifit of not breaking anything.

Gary

Could you describe in a little more detail what I need to purchase? Do I just need the 0/0/4 kit, and a motor (and I suppose power supply for the motor). What all is involved in the setup?

I haven't had a chance to look at the fs2phidgets software, so is it pretty straight forward?

Bob Reed
05-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi Twizz. I do not use Phidgets as I stated but I think the answer to your question is yes, all you need are those parts. And I do not use Phidgets but I have.... The FS2Phidgets software is very straight forward and I am sure if the stick shakers are not in there Allan would make it happen.

Twizzstyle
05-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok very cool, thanks again for the quick feedback guys!

I just ordered a 0/0/4 kit and opened up FS2Phidgets to fiddle with it a bit. There is a variable "stall warning" in there that is a binary, so that would be it!

Exciting! :)

Twizzstyle
05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Got my phidgets board yesterday, hooked it all up with a small motor just to test it out, and it works perfect! I'm going to get a smaller motor, and get little offset weight mounted on it soon and bolted down to my column.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the three other relays... overspeed clacker will be one, that leaves two....

Here is a rather dark photo of my flight deck as it currently sits. There is an empty hole where my overhead panel will go, I'm hoping to have that done in a few weeks. (Will illuminate, but mostly non-functional)

Bob Reed
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Very nice project. So the Phidgets worked well then? Always good to hear.

Twizzstyle
05-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Yes. At first I had some difficulties. I had the latest Phidgets libraries, which don't work with FS2Phidget, had to revert to the older version. Then I couldn't figure out how to set up the variables for outputs in FS2Phidget... and FINALLY saw that there was a "Run Time" and "Configuration" mode, so switched it to configuration and its all self explanitory.

I really like how simple it is! As I said, I just have a motor/battery hooked up to it sitting on my aisle stand. So I'd slowly pull back, and it would start whirring like crazy. So no stick shaking yet, but has the same effect of scaring the crap out of me :)

This is bad, I see myself buying some more of these phidgets boards in the near future, I'd like to have inputs for engine starting, lights, etc etc.

Twizzstyle
05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
And again, thanks for all the help thus far! I've been slowly building my flight deck up for about 6 months, and have had trouble finding much information that isn't very dated online.

JBaymore
05-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Phidgets are much underutilized components in the flight sim community, I think. They have some NICE stuff... and the FS2Phidget software done by Alan is REALLY a nice piece of work. AAnd he is VERY responsive to problems or additions to it.

I have the LED64 for all my annunciators and a TextLCD module that is my current digital fuel readout on the overhead.

best,

.....................john

Gsey
05-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Great to hear that the Phidgets card worked well for you. I hooked up mine quite some time ago so when I move to the new system im building I will have to do the software part all over again. Im sure I will be asking you how you did it because im hopeless with that kind of stuff :-)

You can buy real stick shakers from the airline pilots historical society for $50. Well worth the investment. The noise these things make is unbelievable.

As for the other outputs on the card. I have just bought a magnetically held toggle switch off ebay which I intend to use for the autothrottle arm on MCP.
On the real aircraft when you arm this switch it stays magnetically held in the up position. When you disconnect autothrottle on the throttle levers in breaks the circuit and the switch on the mcp will flick off. If you havent seen this you can see a video of it working on the Project Magenta website. So this is something else you can use this card for.

Gary

AndyT
05-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Twizzstyle,
There is vey little that you can not do with Phidgets. Come to think of it... I have yet to find something I cant do with them!

Nice pit. Have any other pix of it?

Trevor Hale
05-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Looks great Twizz.

Please feel free to post your pictures in the Gallery.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your progress.

Best regards,

Trev