PDA

View Full Version : I have another question

visualchaosfx
04-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Since flying the PMDG 737 I have really enjoyed the experience of flying this bird but, I still love flying the 747. So the question is:

Is it possible to fly 2 jets in one simpit? Not at the sametime of course. I thinking it can be possible. The 737 and 747 MIPS are almost the same. If you use a GoFlight MCP, its pretty much rigged to work with both jets. If I chose to use a 737 throttle quad, it can be programmed to run the 4 engine setup of a 747. The overhead panel though, maybe a little difficult.

I have envisioned that the simpit would have 2 over head panels. The 747 panel above the captains seat and the 737 panel above the flight officers seat.I had also envisioned that the simpit would significantly be wider than then the traditional cockpit. The overhead panels would some how be on a track that goes from right to left. So essentialy say, you want to fly the 737 but the panel is off to the right and you don't want to reach all the way over there to switch on stuff. So you could push the 747 panel off to the left a little bit so that you can drag over the 737 panel to the middle where an overhand panel would be. (You still with me? lol) Of course there would be alot of wires and stuff. Maybe make it to where if you wanted to fly one of the jets, you can unplug one of the overhead panels and plug in the one your gonna use.

I also thought about maybe instead of 2 panels, just have 1 panel that has all of the knobs switches and what have you one panel. Obviously the panel would pretty much span the length of the cockpit, but now you can fly both jets in one cock pit.

Your thoughts?

tunatuk
04-21-2007, 11:49 PM

Bob Reed
04-22-2007, 12:07 AM
The other thing you could do is use a generic panel with the best from both aircraft. If I was going to do it I think that is how I would do it..

Westozy
04-22-2007, 12:10 AM
I would suggest sticking to building the 737 because of the ease of getting parts if you choose not to make them. You can always switch aircraft in FS to say the PMDG 747 and use the same controls and panels as you say. You would just have to remap the throttles to work 4 engines. Why do all of that extra work? It's tough enough as it is! I often switch to fly an FA18 fighter for some 'valley bashing' or sometimes the PMDG 1900D turboprop still using the same cockpit, it works good. The cockpit is basically dark when in use for the best quality projection anyway and most of the time you are looking at the Att/nav displays or outside view. My 2 cents worth!

Gwyn

visualchaosfx
04-22-2007, 12:27 AM
I would suggest sticking to building the 737 because of the ease of getting parts if you choose not to make them. You can always switch aircraft in FS to say the PMDG 747 and use the same controls and panels as you say. You would just have to remap the throttles to work 4 engines. Why do all of that extra work? It's tough enough as it is! I often switch to fly an FA18 fighter for some 'valley bashing' or sometimes the PMDG 1900D turboprop still using the same cockpit, it works good. The cockpit is basically dark when in use for the best quality projection anyway and most of the time you are looking at the Att/nav displays or outside view. My 2 cents worth!

Gwyn

Good point there. I was just uncertain whether a 737 overhead panel would be compatible with a 747 but it all depends on how you program the switches.

visualchaosfx
04-22-2007, 03:17 AM
Does anyone know if these diagrams of the 737 overhead are to scale when you click on them?

http://www.artietheairplane.com/737_panels/737_main.htm

Westozy
04-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Looks right to me...

visualchaosfx
04-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Cool thats what I was hoping. So essentially I could go ahead and use the templates and get the appropiate holes cut without having to order all of the switches and knobs and stuff.

Westozy
04-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi Lee,

My bitmaps for making a 737 overhead will be available on CD shortly if you can hang on for a while. You will be able to get the individual panel bitmaps printed on waterproof sticker paper and apply them direct to your O/H panel. These are the same bitmaps as used in my latest O/H pics. They make the FWD O/H about 650mm (25 1/2") square which must be pretty close to the original size.

Gwyn

visualchaosfx
04-23-2007, 12:08 PM
What would be the "smart" thing to do? Build a 2 seater 737 sim or a 1 seater sim.

I'd like to go for a 2 seater just because they look really cool but then I would only be the one flying the thing. I don't believe anyone around my neck of the woods is interested in flight simming because the main form of entertainment in my small town is bars and drugs lol.

A 1 seater looks more appealing because its smaller and less monitor setup.

What do you guys think?

Bob Reed
04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Well having had a 1 side setup for the longest time ( no room) When I started the new build it had to have the second seat. No one here really to fly with eaither but I wanted it! I am glad I did it just looks better!!

Westozy
04-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Spot on mate, we all like showing off our sims and where better for the guest to sit but in it. It's great having full dual controls too, when my regular flying mates come over we don't have to swap seats. The 12" sub-woofers under the seats are fantastic, wish I'd fitted them 6 months ago as I've had them for years. The speedbrake is like switching on thunder! I love it when a visiting passenger bails out feeling sick, I think it means I'm getting it right!

Gwyn

paulj
04-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Well I'm only building a 1 seater 737 because of lack of space.
I'll also only have 1 set of each of the com and nav radio gear so I won't have the extra expense of these panels too.
Guess it all adds up to a little bit of money saved in the end.
It won't make any difference to some things like the overhead though.

Paul

Terry
04-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Hans Krohn's F16/737 is a pretty neat sim. The way he handles the visuals is nice and he solved the problem of what to do with the overhead.

Oh, by the way Visualchaosfx, what do you consider you neck of the woods?

From nearly in your backyard,

TerryM
Traverse City

visualchaosfx
04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Hans Krohn's F16/737 is a pretty neat sim. The way he handles the visuals is nice and he solved the problem of what to do with the overhead.

Oh, by the way Visualchaosfx, what do you consider you neck of the woods?

From nearly in your backyard,

TerryM
Traverse City

Cool your from TC. I was just there back in February at Streeters to see Petey Pablo in concert:D

I just looked at Hans flight videos that he posted. That sim looks sweet. I've got a room thats 131" wide by 145" long that I'm gonna build it in. Not very big so I leaning more towards a single seat sim.

Neck of the woods would be Indian River.