PDA

View Full Version : Pm Systems

Mr. Midnight
03-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Hello folks i have a somewhat of a question to ask about The PM SYSTEM that i keep hearing about, is that the software from Megenta and if it is what is its purpose.
i have my overhead frame constructed and is that software designed to help you set up and maintain your overhead panel.

Im not for sure what its for , but im now in the procsess of starting to wire up my MIP,.......Thanks......Robert

dnoize
03-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi Robert,

Thats exactly what PMsystems is for. PMsystems is indeed from the PM guys and provides us with the overhead logics that FS is lacking. Furthermore it allows us to interface our hardware overheads. Most (if not all by now) of the options on the overhead can be interfaced.

Stef

Bob Reed
03-19-2007, 02:33 PM
PMSystems is designed to do any systems that are not modeled in FS. The overhead for the 737 is pretty much all pre programed. But you can program anything that is not there. PMSystems was made to be very flexible.

Trevor Hale
03-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Only if your a rocket scientist Bob :) LOL

Bob Reed
03-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Not so.... I used to think that about EPIC, but once I learned how to program it... Well you get the point. You just have to decide you are going to learn how to do it. Thomas is more the willing to get one started.

Mr. Midnight
03-19-2007, 03:46 PM
well let me see if i got this right or let me tell you what im doing, im constructing a cockpit based on the 737 cockpit.
i see that a lot of simmers are using the pmdg 737, im wondering though if you start modeling your cockpit to a 737, and i start hooking up as many switches and dials etc.
HHHHHMMMMMm i think im confusing myself, say for instance i go with progect magenta and use all of there software, as far as a platform do i still use FS9/FSX.

Right now my base plane is the default 737 in FSX, ( the default planes in FSX are better in my upinion than FS9) and that is what im building on, i have constructed my MIP, and have set up my monitors behind it.
Im running a eight monitor set up through widefs, wodeview etc.

i decided to get the go flight MCP , and the GF-46 nav radios..

i have completey built me a shell to house myself into and have constructed my overhead panel, so im wanting to see if the pm system will work for me.

So im thinkin if i have a cockpit that will be mostly real buttons and switches what would be the advantage of using pmdg, or the default 737.
I may be wrong on this but once you have built your cockpit is not the only thing you need is the FS9/FSX platform, or X-plane etc.

Bob Reed
03-19-2007, 04:25 PM
If you use PM you still need to use FSX or FS9.... My sugestion would be for you to go to www.projectmagenta.com and take a look around and read the stuff on there site.

ivar hestnes
03-19-2007, 06:02 PM
well let me see if i got this right or let me tell you what im doing, im constructing a cockpit based on the 737 cockpit.
i see that a lot of simmers are using the pmdg 737, im wondering though if you start modeling your cockpit to a 737, and i start hooking up as many switches and dials etc.
HHHHHMMMMMm i think im confusing myself, say for instance i go with progect magenta and use all of there software, as far as a platform do i still use FS9/FSX.

Right now my base plane is the default 737 in FSX, ( the default planes in FSX are better in my upinion than FS9) and that is what im building on, i have constructed my MIP, and have set up my monitors behind it.
Im running a eight monitor set up through widefs, wodeview etc.

i decided to get the go flight MCP , and the GF-46 nav radios..

i have completey built me a shell to house myself into and have constructed my overhead panel, so im wanting to see if the pm system will work for me.

So im thinkin if i have a cockpit that will be mostly real buttons and switches what would be the advantage of using pmdg, or the default 737.
I may be wrong on this but once you have built your cockpit is not the only thing you need is the FS9/FSX platform, or X-plane etc.

If I understand you right, this is a flightmodel question.

In fs9 you can use default 737 as flight model. But this flightmodel is not good and the "handling" of the aircraft is very bad. Not realistic at all.

Or you can use the PMDG 737 flight model which is very good. But then you need to download and install a modification file which is listed on the Project magenta web-page.

In fsx, the default 737 is much better than in fs9. And the sound is awesome;) . As far as I know, there is not an alternative to the default 737 yet. But PMDG are developing the NGX. (really waiting for that).

Project magenta software works fine with these three alternatives. I have tested them all in my setup.

AndyT
03-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Robert,

I do not have a big cockpit built. I fly small GA planes in real life so that's what I fly in my sim. But I think what you are asking is do you need to have FS9 or FSX as a base to build on? Yes, you have to have the Flight Sim either Microsoft or X Plane. The other software, PMS and various planes are add-ons to the basic sim itself.

Once you have your sim built, it is a personal choice on which interface to use between the real knobs and buttons and the sim. If I understand correctly, PM Systems pretty much handles everything in the 737 series and allows you to do additional programming for stuff it doesn't happen to cover.

Now the programming might not be easy at first but what is? Feel free to come back here for help.

Does that answer your question?

PeterH
03-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Hi guys,

the versatility and flexibility of pmsystems is absolutely the right approach!!!
BTW FSBus is going in the same direction soon.
I assume that approach has been coosen in order to allow individual adaptation or -in extreme- a total new overhead development from scratch.

BUT and there´s a big B U T because without a somewhat exhaustive instruction manual the flexibility is very much limited to the very few "GURUS" amongst us.
Either those speak the pmsystems language or they are just a genius
(BTW which language is it? - basic or C or C++ or...??) .

My proposal to have pmsystems evolve in our community even more is:
some one of the knowledgable people with a big heart will take the time and write an instruction manual or is prepared to start a kind of "how to program in pmsystems" lesson for us "Standard Users", may be it could be done here in this forum, if so allowed.

Both variants, single or in combination would be a great thing.

This could bring us most probably many more overhead panels for all kind of different aircraft and last but not least a lot of fun too. :-D

What do you "PMSYSTEMS ROCKET SCIENTISTS" think about that approach??

Best rgds

Peter

Trevor Hale
03-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Hi guys,

What do you "PMSYSTEMS ROCKET SCIENTISTS" think about that approach??

Best rgds

Peter

Pete,

I think I read that somewhere.... :) I too was on this (PM SYSTEMS FOR DUMMIES) Quest.

I had a conversation with Thomas Richer (PMSYSTEMS KING) and was trying to probe him for a what do I do first. I personally have spent hours just trying to edit an existing 737 or airbus overhead. By just trying to move a few switches from one position to another, completely without success.

I can't even seem to change the look of the bitmap. LOL. Anyway Thomas basically just said keep plugging away on it and it will eventually start to work. I asked him how many hours would it take him to build an overhead?

His response was unclear as he stated it starts off with needing to draw out a function map, like a flow chart to see how it all fits, then begin programming. I even told him I didn't want fancy graphics, Just all my switches lined up waiting to be commanded from hardware.

I got no bites :). As more people in the community plug away with PM systems, we will get our How too booklet, I for one am hoping someone learns it so well, For a couple hundred bucks they will build my overhead for me........ But I think I am dreaming :)

Best regards

Trev

Bob Reed
03-20-2007, 09:25 AM
So... If you realy don't care what it looks like, use the 737. There musy be most of what you need in there?

Trevor Hale
03-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Except the 737 has only 2 engines, I need 3 :)

Bob Reed
03-20-2007, 10:19 AM
So....I have found a really good way to learn how something works is to start playing with it. Copy and paste. If I get a chance I will take a look at the software and see if I can figure out how to add an engine.

Trevor Hale
03-20-2007, 11:14 AM
LOL, Thats what I have been trying to do. I think my biggest issue, is trying to figure out if the variable names are spacific to a database somewhere, or if the variable names are whatever you want them to be.

Mr. Midnight
03-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks folks for the replys, pm systems appear to be what i will need down the line, just wanted to get some feedback on it.
Im running FSX , and your right the 737 is much better, and i will build on that.

right now im beginning test on some freeware ogs (opencockpits) networked.
When ever i get enough funds i might consider project magenta:).

Thanks........................ROBERT