PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Monitors to MIP

Trevor Hale
03-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Hey Guys,

When you use FDS Mip's how do you keep the monitors so close to the mip.

I Just ordered 3 19" LCD's and am wondering the best way to keep them tight to the MIP.

Your thoughts?

AndyT
03-03-2007, 01:43 AM
It sounds crazy, but take them out of the cases and build a new case around them. :idea:

NicD
03-03-2007, 02:45 AM
I'm almost at the point where I have to do that ... and to be honset it scares the heck out of me. Not only could it break the LCDs, it voids the warranty, and produces a voltage hazard too.

AndyT
03-03-2007, 02:48 AM
I hate doing anything that voids the warranty. But once I've done it... LOOK OUT BELOWWWWwwwwww...... :lol:

If you use a good weather strip foam tape from the hardware store around the frames, you will be able to seperate them from each other electrically. Check the resistance with a meter first to make sure it will do. Just carry your meter right into the store.

PaulEMB
03-03-2007, 04:42 AM
I too shared the trepidation, but went ahead, including 2 brand new 17" monitors - no problems in fitting them, mounted in the MDF MIP support, and foam tape around, plus on the front edges to reduce dust entry.
In my case leaving the cases on wasn't an option, due to the tight fit on the 145.
You should find the unit inside very durable, and easy to mount - the only thing to watch for - especially when removing the case, is the connections to the control buttons - this can be a ribbon cable, pushed into connectors - I had a bad moment when one came out, and I pushed it back the wrong way - no monitor, and fresh out the box!, but it was soon fixed.
Give it a try!

Trevor Hale
03-03-2007, 10:28 AM
OOOoooo Ouch.

I knew that most of you guys removed them from the case, but ouch, warranty void. Well I guess thats just the risk of simming. The LCD's I selected are comming with removable bases, I thought that might be enough, apparently not.

how are you holding them tight to the MIP. Double sticky foam tape then?

Literally taping them to the mip?

Shamrock224
03-03-2007, 10:41 AM
You could use right-angle brackets attached to the MIP frame, this worked well for me.

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=494

Greg

Trevor Hale
03-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Nice Idea... That may work.

PaulEMB
03-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I got out of the problem by making a deep MDF base, and "backing" panel for the MIP. The depth of the MDF is close to the monitor depth, so I fixed using small MDF brackets screwed to the backer.

Having a shell helps here, rather than making life difficult as usual, so I had something to fix to.

FDS has some smart monitor mounts available, but most monitors have captive nuts in the back, so you can attach with small setscrews to an angle bracket.

Pics of my setup are on the site on the MIP Support page.

I hope it gives you some ideas - ;)

Trevor Hale
03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Fantastic Pictures.

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking to see.

Trev

PaulEMB
03-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Trev,

I stuck a few more pics under "latest pics" of a monitor I used before for the CDU - I meant to put it back together, but - it still works, so why bother! ( Now used as the MCP, although this is wired via the FDS G1)

Gives you some idea of what's under the case.

Also a couple of pics under "Visuals" showing the results of my tests on improving daylight ambient lighting in the sim. I m very pleased so far with the results - I dont use the CB panel for anything, apart from holding up the overhead, and its behind the normal sitting position, it doesn't glare.

The pictures don't do justice to the effect, but I can say that the addition of the 3 Benq projectors added a great deal to the lighting, and the increased overhead lighting in the cabin no way affected the outside view - which was not the case with my previous SONY projector.

Many thanks to NicD for his experiments and published results which gave the the courage to spend loads of $ :D Very pleased so far with the results -

How did we ever remain happy with a 15" CRT for so long?

Trevor Hale
03-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Paul,

Looks great. I have some thoughts, your pics have helped big time. I am going to have to wait until they get here, Wednesday I hope. And look at it.

I am more concerned with mounting the monitors and being able to open the MIP at various stages after the fact to clean the screens and access things likt the gear panel. How ever I mount the monitor I need the mip to remain removable.

A good challange that all you have faced and surpassed. (how hard could it be?)

I didn't notice if you have a tinted Plexi glass over your PFD or ND, doesn't look like it. If you put your fingers in the PFD are you touching the monitor screen?

AndyT
03-03-2007, 04:08 PM
The screens themselves normally have a thin metal frame built around them. Its used to mount them securely in the housing they come with. If you use this existing frame, you should be able to mount the screen to a slide mount backing so that you can slide it in or out of the MIP with ease.

The big problem you will have is the wiring for the power and signal lines. They can be a major pain.

You can put a peice of plex over your screen to protect it from damage if you like, just make sure you have added the thickness to your measurements.

And yes, getting over VOID WARRANTY fright is just one of the things we must endure as Sim builders.

ak49er
03-03-2007, 06:09 PM
I too have seen some builders use a piece of shaded plexi, available from FDS I believe, but I was not sure if that was anti-glare for glass CRT's or just for effect, or if it is optimum for LCD as well.

Michael Carter
03-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I plan on dis-assembling the monitors I buy for my MIP. I've run into a great quandry however.

I can have the stripped MIP with all of the computer generated instruments right where they are supposed to be, but I give up my Approach Progress indicator lamps and my comparitor lamps (think 737-1/200 here) as well as the DH and Altitude Alert indicators. The monitor frame is in the way if these indicators are installed. I've already eliminated several push-botton switches and mounted an aluminum panel over the holes.

Even if I take the monitors apart I don't know whether the screen image will be large enough to include my ADI because the Approach Progress indicator and the others mentioned may well still be in the way.

If I exclude these (real) indicators I don't know how I will replicate activation on the MIP when it comes time for them to light up.

Damn this 727 is hard.

PaulEMB
03-04-2007, 04:17 AM
As I am using FDS Signature panels, the MIP frames come with clear plexiglass lenses - therefore, theoretically, if you get it sealed well, the dust should stay out, and when you look at the instruments you see the "lens" which gives the impression of the real thing.

I used self adhesive window draught seal strips "D profile" around the back of the frames to give a better seal.

The PFD ND frames are fixed to a metal backer, which is screwed to the MDF support, so removal is possible to access the monitors.

Complicated, but it works!

Trevor Hale
03-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Damn this 727 is hard.

LOL, You need to take your time. Just because the monitor will block those areas, doesn't mean you can fit external lamps and indicators there.

If Sim building was as easy as buying a real MIP and throwing a monitor behind it, we would all be done our sims by now.

Joe Maldonado, is building a "Larger version of the 727" I am sure he has already crossed the bridge that your trying to pass. If I am not mistaken he had to rebuild the main instrument panel by reorganizing the instruments to better suit the monitors.

you can see his project here.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/feature/elfhill.htm

Maybe if you email him he can help you.

Trev