PDA

View Full Version : Hey ak49er

Bob Reed
02-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow.. A helo and a Liner. Man you are a glutton for punishment! So what is the plan with the Hughy?

Matt Olieman
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Don't let Larry find out where you live..... WOW from me too :)

Trevor Hale
02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Looking about, wondering what the two of you are goiong on about????

:roll: Did I miss something, or are you all having a one sided conversation?

Matt Olieman
02-27-2007, 03:53 PM
http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=915&limit=recent

ak49er
02-28-2007, 03:11 AM
The liner is modeled after the 737-NG Series using MDF and reutilized hardware and freeware. All dimensions are a conglomeration of available dims from various authors on the net. For the Huey I have a really unique idea, I would like to model the starboard side MIP/ Controls for the "Super Cobra" including correct rudder pedals, lower bubble window view, Simulated FLIR Goggles, Cyclic and collective. While blending the port side MIP/Controls to represent a twin anything, most likely 737-NG, again with type similar controls, to include simulated HUD. I believe if I put the correct shape "eyebrow" on each forward window frame, I can force the interior perspective of a lower cabin, like found in a jetliner. All my routers, CRT's and CPU's are from salvage. The joysticks, cables , keyboard mouses, etc are from secondhand or used stores. I like to reutilize materials when I can, plus I'm cheap as well.

W9XE/Project777
03-01-2007, 10:29 PM
ak49er

I have been so behind on reading post and viewing the Gallery I missed the posting of the Huey pictures. Bob and Matt commented to me about it.

My first project was to be a Bell 206 however the parts I have are real Bell 204 Cyclic and Collective stick. I have a Bell 206 set of rudder pedals and was planning to make a helicopter sim. Problem was it would be a solo aircraft and would not be all that fun for others to fly if they have never flown a chopper before.

I used to be in the US Air Force as a Helicopter Flight Mechanic on the HH-1H (Bell 205) for many years. Really liked flying it. Have several hours of stick time during functional check-flights and in Arizona single pilot trips to pick up the Range Officer.

I still would like to build the helicopter just to keep in practice. I actually have more room for it than the B777 project.

I priced out what it would cost to build the B206 using Simkits gauges. I would have about 5K in it without a shell. I figured i could go farther with the 777. May just put together a single seat (have a new Huey jump seat) together with USB hardware and make it mobile.

Great to see the pictures you have posted as well as the 737. Wish I hard room and money to do both :rolleyes:

Michael Carter
03-02-2007, 12:01 AM
That would really be something to complete. You'd have a ball with that!

I too, am looking at certain Sim-Kit gauges. They now have a gauge kit out that does not require a controller interface board. The USB controller is built-in to the instrument. It's PnP.

You still have to buy the servos though. But, it comes with every gauge face they have available and the kit allows you to build a 3" or 2" gauge.

I'm looking into this for the flap position indicators for my 727.

ak49er
03-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Yes, the manufactured guages are excellent, and I would rather see analog guages move when I fly. I also like the idea of building my own. I have found and downloaded plans for using computer a: drives to drive the guages, as well as decent guage face templates, if I can make one work I may build more. For now I will still use flat screen monitors with cutouts on the instuments and bezels. As well I have collected various oddball parts including; (HD springs, 5-port pnuematic controller, bearings, HD turntable, and electrical operated valves, HD stubshaft with u-joint on each end) to make a motion base. However, after reading the webpage of a guy using a rack and pinion, electric over hydraulic system, I believe that is a very good solution. As well, I believe that form follows function, so the sim has to be flyable from the start, and after every modifaction. I return home Tuesday night. I hope to have the newly misnamed 737-206 flyable the next day. Will send pictures. BTW Any ideas on how to make the main control yoke of a 737 actuate a linked Huey type cyclic? Hmm, challenging.