PDA

View Full Version : Totally Confused

jb747
06-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Okay...got the 8/8/8 installed. During turnup received the dreaded runtime error 53. Did a manual search for the card, found it, all lights green.

Calibrated throttles, TOGA, autothrottle disconnect, (haven't done the mag switch yet for the Spoiler arm... calibrated the flaps.

Saved the lot...

Fired things up, flaps read correctly for 0, 1, 20, & 30. Nothing for 5,10 or 25. Ini files shows the 747 with all 7 notches, 3 of the 7 default to 0 on the ranges. Tried to manually edit the ini file and saved it. Program knows better and reset them to 0.

Throttle #1 still goes into reverse thrust unless advanced about 40% (great for "realism")

TOGA doesn't function. Haven't had a flight long enough to see if AT disconnect does or not. Originally set the levers for thrust reverse (switches, not POTS) unassigned them for now to see if that was influencing #1 (it wasn't)

FS9 sees everything during setup and responds accordingly. Saved the files, restarted the system and DUH! I get the above.

All code rev's are up to date (see post below)

Confusion turning to frustration....

Cheers (sort of)

Jon

alandyer
06-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Jon,

With regard to your throttle:
You only want lever to operate throttle, correct ?
No reverse thrust.

Go into FS Editor and tell me what Max and Min values are set to for the Throttle.

Alan.

jb747
06-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Alan,

First of all, thanks for writing this program in the first place and second, for responding to my questions...

I guess I need a bit of help. What is the FS Editor? Are you looking for the PhidgetInterfaceKit config settings using notepad to open it or should I be looking someplace else.

Sorry about that.

Jon

alandyer
06-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Jon,

Are running 3.0.9 ?
If you are you should see a button called "Edit FS Variables".
I could walk you through this screen, but I think it is covered in manual.

Alan.

jb747
06-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Alan,

Yes, I'm 3.0.9 and now see the edit button. Guess I was looking external to the program. That's the problem. Throttles 2-4 read 0 for a min and 16384 for the max. Throttle 1 reads -4096 for the min (reverse thrust all the way).

What's the process to fix this (manually change the number in the editor) or??

Also, I have a few other problems (flaps calibration and buttons that don't respond. Some guidance here perhaps?

Cheers

Jon

alandyer
06-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Do you have FS2Phidgets.doc in your FS2Phidgets folder ?

Do you have copy of FSUIPC documentation ?

jb747
06-30-2005, 05:06 AM
Yes, I have the documents.

If I may offer a comment, you have two "Version 3" FS2Phidget Manuals floating around. The one on the webpage (that I downloaded and was using) and the more up to date version in the FS2phidgets309 folder. If you can get someone to update the web version it might help reduce dumb questions from people like me.

I might have just missed it, but a note somewhere in the setup or "Readme" doc that directs one to the latest version might be helpful.

Jon

alandyer
06-30-2005, 05:57 AM
The folks at Phidgets have latest manual and led me to believe that latest would be on their web site.
I spent a lot of time converting documentation to web pages.

Partly my fault, I should have looked at web site and checked.

I need to start charging for software. ;)

JBaymore
06-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Woah Alan......... Don't go denigrating yourself in ANY way about this stuff.

You TOO have to remember that you are providing all that you do for FREE........ this is not a paid software support situation. That you already do what you do for folks is AMAZING.

People who are able to take advantage of your already exterme generosity need to keep remembering and telling themselves that you and FS2Phidget are NOT a direct part of the Phidgets company. I think the fact that this dforum is dierctly linked to the Phidgets website really "blurs" that distinction a lot, and creates "expectations" in some people.

So fix stuff when YOU are able to meeting your own needs and time constraints ........... and don't feel pressure to meet what might appear as "software support" needs.

best,

...................john

imported_Matt
06-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Hey All,

Is this not the latest version Alan?

http://www.phidgetsusa.com/fs/fs2phidgets/fs2phidget_guide/FS2Phidget.htm

I don't recall any updates after you sent that in, but maybe I missed an email. If so let me know, I'll get on it.

Matt

alandyer
06-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Just looked.
On-line version is essentially same as document installed with Fs2Phidget.
Chapter 11 IS is both places, and explains how to update FS elements.

jb747
06-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Matt,

I think you have the "old" one. At least when I initialized my card it wasn't consistant with the info that Alan provided as part of the download in the version that provided info that I actually used to get my stuff up and working.

To all... I recognize that this is "freeware" and my comments on the earlier post I thought reflected that... minimize the queries to the forum by getting the latest documentation on-line. It wasn't a slam on Alan -- my first response to his answer to my post I thought expressed that appreciation. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Cheers

Jon

alandyer
07-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Jon,

Have you resolved throttle, flaps, switch problems ?

Regards,
Alan.

jb747
08-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Hi Alan,

Thanks for asking. I've been doing "homework" with your 3.1.1 manual and Pete's FSUIPC doc's since we last communicated and think I'm flunking the course.

The throttles work great (your 5 sec suggestion fixed that). Thrust reverse and spoilers are also okay. Flaps -- everything calibrates fine -- all seven detentes track with the fefault 747, then I save the settings, close FSPhidgets, restart and they default to 0, 5, 20, and 30 degrees of flaps, skipping 1, 10, & 25 degrees. (Does every other notch). I tried fussing the spacing at each notch to see if that was impacting things but no change. Duh!

The two switches are also hosed. They register fine in FSPhidgets but don't impact my PM MCP. I understand getting a latching switch for the TOGA but even holding the switch down I can't get it to engage. With the A/T disconnect, if I set FS Edit to 0/1 I get a momentary trigger on the default 747 in FS9 but I think it's supposed to be a toggle and be set to 0/0. With that setting I get no reaction at all.

Cheers

Jon

alandyer
08-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Jon,

What version are you running at present ?

For your auto-throttle cut out I would use a momentary switch.
Closer to real operation.

Are you assigning AUTOTHROTTLE_DISARM to auto-throttle cut-out ?

Are you assigning AUTO_THROTTLE_TOGA for TO/GA switch ?

When you test TOGA engagment is throttle assignment assigned ?
i.e. is there a TOGA only test ?

The flaps problem is a strange one.

When you re-load FS2Phidgets , what aircraft is running in FS9 ?
When FS2Phidget starts it determines number of flaps notches from
aircraft currently running in MS-FS

Regards,
Alan.

jb747
08-05-2005, 03:13 AM
Alan,

I'm running 3.1.1

My A/T cut out is a momentary switch and AUTHOTHROTTLE_DISARM is assigned

TO/GA switch is assigned AUTO_THROTTLE_TOGA

When I test the TO/GA the A/T is engaged

Regarding the flaps. the Boeing 747 is loaded in FS9 and it does give me the proper number of notches (7). A real puzzler to me is that I can calibrate all notches, save the settings, run through the settings and see them function properly within FS9. However, when I close FS2Phidgets and restart, it defaults to every other notch.

Jon

alandyer
08-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Jon,

With regards to flaps. Sounds like a definite problem there.

Zip up your ini files in /FS2Phidget and /FS2Phidget/FSVariable folders.
Email to jb747@coconutair.com

Will have Coconut Airlines maintenace folks replicate your set-up and diagnose.

The only way one can tell if B747 TO/GA engages is by throttle movement on screen.
Is that correct ?

Regards,
Alan.

jb747
08-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Alan,

File on the way. I'll check your Q regarding throttle movements

Cheers

Jon

jb747
08-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Alan,

As expected, no movement. Jon

alandyer
08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
You do get throttle movement if you click TOGA switch on MS-FS screen, right ?

alandyer
08-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Jon,

Are you using standard MS-FS B747 or are using with other 3rd party software ?
Project Magenta ? PMDG ?

Alan.

alandyer
08-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Jon,

Ah, I see you using PM.

You said:
"I'll have to fire up the sim and verify the answer to your last question. I use PM and don't even look at the FS9 screen for the throttles. The EICAS doesn't show an increase in power when I either toggle or hold down the TO/GA switch so I assume that it's dead. (Get no sound out of FS9 that the engines are spooling up either). I'll fire it up and check".

Bear in mind I do not have PM for B747.
How do you use TOGA with PM when not using FS2Phidget ?

Alan.

jb747
08-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Press the THR button on the MCP.

Cheers

Jon

jb747
08-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Alan,

Sorry, missed your earlier posts. Regarding the default FS9 747, I get no movement of the throttles when I depress the TOGA switch. I do have the A/T engaged, but that is on the Project Magenta MCP, not the default panel which I think might inactivate the default TOGA anyway.

Regarding your second post that I missed; I'm using PM for the MCP.

Thanks again

Jon

alandyer
08-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Jon,

The folks at Coconut Airlines Skunk Works have run simulation on your simulation.
(boy, this is getting confusing).
They tell me flaps issue you raised is definite bug and are working on a fix.
(you're not going nuts and did read the manual correctly).

You should receive an interim version with fix some time today.
Your name came up on the Test Pilot Duty Roster.

Other item on your To-Do list was locate FSUIPC offset for PM B747 THR function.
How are you going on that ?
Once you have that I can guide you with setting up FS Variable for offset.

I have question for you.
Is A/T Cutout standard MS-FS or another PM function ?

Regards,
Alan.

jb747
08-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Alan,

Thanks much for the work on the flaps. It's nice to know I'm not crazy. I did receive the interim fix and will try it out later this eve if wife "honey do's" don't interfer.

Me thinks that per the Project Magenta FSUIPC Offsets Document the proper offset should be 050A, length=2 bits, with bit=0 for the TOGA switch and bit=2 for the A/T disconnect switch.

Regarding you last question, if A/T Cutout is the same as A/T disconnect there is a PM function identified for it as outlined above.

Cheers

Jon

jb747
08-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Alan,

Test pilot to chief pilot -- flaps now work as designed.

Cheers

Jon

alandyer
08-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Jon,

To set up your TOGA.
Press "Edit FS Variables..." button to take you into FS Variable Editor.
(You will need to be connected to FS)

Select FS variable file you want to save TOGA variable into (one of the ini files).
Type in FS variable name (say, PM_747_TOGA)
Enter Offset ( 050A )
Enter Length ( 2 )
Select "Part of Bitmap" button
Select bit 0 from Bit pulldown

Press "Save". Do not exit Editor.

Go to 747 MCP screen and press THR button.
The On and Off values should be displayed alternately in "FS Value".

Enter these values in "On Value" and "Off Value" boxes.
or
Check "Detect from FS" and let FS2Phidget fill in values for you.

Press "Save".

Assign your new FSvalue and see if it works OK.

A/T Disconnect would be set up the same way.

Regards,
Alan.

jb747
08-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Alan,

Success on both counts!

I'll wait until the "next" release for the ability to latch my TOGA switch!

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Jon

alandyer
08-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Capt. Jon,

Version 3.1.2 is available for download.
Has number of bug fixs (including flaps bug you reported).

The LATCH function is there (for your TOGA).

I have also included two other digital output features:

PULSE function - if LED is connected to digital output will result in LED glowing briefly when FS value goes to On Value.

FLASH function - if LED is connected to digital output will result in LED flashing instead of continously glowing.
Might be handy for marker beacon annunciators.

They are implemented as check boxes alongside the Invert check box

Regards,
Alan.

jb747
08-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Alan,

Worked like a champ!

Thanks again

Jon