PDA

View Full Version : Phidget Selection

Larry Brown
03-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Hello,

I am currently designing a Boeing 737 throttle quadrant as the first step in my home cockpit project. I am absolutely new to electronics and have only a very limited understanding of what is involved. My father, however, spent his career in electronics and can assist me with wiring, soldering, etc. I am nearing a point where I would like to purchase the phidget components for my project so that I can use their dimensions in the design. I would like some input to make sure that I am headed in the right direction and that I am not missing anything or taking an unwise approach.

To build my quadrant I intend to use the following:
Qty 2 – Slider 60 variable resisters for forward thrust
Qty 2 – Slider 60 variable resisters for reverse thrust
Qty 1 - 8/8/8 Phidget Interface kit
Qty 1 – 2-815BB servo kit for autothrottles
Qty 1 – A power supply as required for servos

I would also like to use pushbutton switches for the autothrottle disengage buttons and the TOGA buttons. Can an over-the-shelf pushbutton switch be used with the 8/8/8 Phidget interface? Also, if an over the shelf pushbutton switch can be used Phidgets what guidelines should I use for selecting one?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Larry Brown

lineman55
03-09-2005, 05:38 AM
Hi Larry,
I myself am doing the same thing for my 737 throttle.
I purchased the sliders with the 12' cords and the 8/8/8 board.
Still waiting for UPS delivery

As for the the switches or buttons yes you can use almost anythng off the shelf
at an electronics shop..momentary,on-off buttons or toggle.
Phidgets will read any of these..but you should have FSUIPC to help you assign
these functions if needed. :cool:

www.biagettis.com/737simproject

James

Larry Brown
03-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Thank you, James. A little re-assurance makes the expendature for this newbie easier. I have read the autothrottle tutorial and keep thinking to myself that this can't be this straight forward. I am looking forward to moving ahead with this project.

Thanks,
Larry