PDA

View Full Version : just another newbie question

imported_dutch
01-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Hello....again.

As in another thread discribed, I've modified some servo's getting a 270 degree turn (simply removing the stopping notch). If I turn the servo by hand, 270 degree rotation is possible, only the FS2Phidget software still shows a maximum of 180 degress in the calibration menu ? So how I can get my 270 degrees range to work ?

Thanks, Dan

alandyer
01-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Dutch,

I will modify calibration page to allow greater range.
Will let you know when that version is available for download.

Regards,
Alan.

alandyer
01-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Dan,

My apologies. Called you Dutch.

Alan.

alandyer
01-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Dan,

Download version 2.0.10 of FS2Phidgets.

Open INI file for servo with text editor such as Notepad.
File name will be something like PhidgetServo647.ini
Should be loacted in directory where you installed FS2Phidgets.
Usually, C:\Program Files\FS2Phidget\

Add the following entry for any servo you wish to have calibrated beyond the usual 180 degrees of travel.

[Output 0]
FSID=THROTTLE_LEVER_8
Enabled=True
Invert=False
SMin=45
SMax=135
ServoMax=240 <------- Add this line.

This is max value you want to see on calibration screen (the max rotation supported by your servo and the phidget card).

I have not tried this on a servo with rotational capabilities beyond 180 degrees.

You are now officially a test pilot :)

Regards,
Alan.

phidgets
01-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Hello....again.

As in another thread discribed, I've modified some servo's getting a 270 degree turn (simply removing the stopping notch). If I turn the servo by hand, 270 degree rotation is possible, only the FS2Phidget software still shows a maximum of 180 degress in the calibration menu ? So how I can get my 270 degrees range to work ?

Thanks, Dan

Hello,

Alan asked me to ring in on the Phidgets capabilities for servo control. The Phidgets servo controller can accept values from -23 to 232 and that supports a pulse range from 0 microseconds to 2.7 microseconds. To know what your servo will respond to and what it's limits are you will need to refer to it's specs. How far a servo will turn is determined by it's properties not the signal we are sending to it. What I mean by that is, either a servo is made to achieve a certain degree of movement or it isn't. Our range of microsecond pulses that we can send far exceeds the signal specs on any servo.

The potentiometer inside the servo determines how much it can turn. You can't surpass the potentiometers limits of course. By removing the stop tab you might gain a few more degrees, but you run the risk of destroying the pot. If you remove the pot, then you have a continuous turn servo which will never know what it's own position is.

We are always open to hearing about servos out there that have large degrees of movement. If someone finds one that can do 270 - 360 I would stock it in a minute. But so far all my testing has come up dry for a good servo which moves more than 180 :(

I hope this helps out :)

Matt

imported_dutch
01-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Hello

Thanks ! Will try this out this weekend...I'll let you know !

Regards,Dan

imported_dutch
01-23-2005, 04:26 AM
Hello

Thanks, Alan ! Would like to tell you, that you program update is working. Only have to remove the 180 degree limiter notch on the servo gear. Now the program shows 270 degress in calibration screen, also the servo is making 270 degree turns.
So my first analog oil pressure indicator is working now !

Regards,Dan

imported_dutch
01-23-2005, 04:36 AM
Hello...again

Just found out, if I saved my config, the Invert function will not being saved. Have to select Invert again, if I load the software new.
Is that known ?

Regards,Dan

phidgets
01-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Hello

Thanks, Alan ! Would like to tell you, that you program update is working. Only have to remove the 180 degree limiter notch on the servo gear. Now the program shows 270 degress in calibration screen, also the servo is making 270 degree turns.
So my first analog oil pressure indicator is working now !

Regards,Dan

Hi Dan,

Could you please tell us which servo you are using?

Thanks

Matt

imported_dutch
01-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Hello

I'm using ProTech B-305 standard servo's....very cheap :-)

Regards,Dan

alandyer
01-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Dan,

Ouch!

What Phidget card is the invert function not working for ?
If interfacekit, let me know if this is for input, output or analog ?

Will fix that, thanks for the heads up.

Regards,
Alan.

imported_dutch
01-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Hello

It was the Servo4 card. But I installed the card and the software now on my client pc, and it works, invert function will be saved....strange ....but it works !

Regards,Dan

imported_dutch
01-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Hello

Again one question. Have dropped the FS2Phidget in my autostart folder, for automatic starting wideclient and phidgets software at pc startup. The only problem is, I have to enable the modules manually, although the program connect automatic. Is there a solution or have to wait for an update ?

Regards,Dan

alandyer
01-25-2005, 05:41 AM
Dan,

The software remembers what components are enabled.
Did you remember to save your settings ?

Alan.

imported_dutch
01-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Hello

Yes, you're right. The previous version did'nt saved this. The current version does !
Thanks.

Regards,Dan