PDA

View Full Version : Encoder

Andras
12-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi,

I've started thinking about buying two usb encoders to be used for the Cabin-alt and landing-alt displays for my 737 overhead and Pmsystems.

My silly question is: what do I actually need for that? Two usb encoders and two display modules? Or 2x5 7segment displays that can be controlled by the encoder? I'm not too good in electronics you may have figures, so any would be highly apprecuated.

Andras

alandyer
12-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Andras,

You would need 2 encoders.
It is a matter of preference whether you want to go with LED or TextLCD.
Both will work.
All you need to do is look at physical dimensions and panel space.
Matt can help you with that.

Regards,
Alan.

Andras
12-12-2004, 05:41 PM
You would need 2 encoders.
It is a matter of preference whether you want to go with LED or TextLCD.
Both will work. All you need to do is look at physical dimensions and panel space.
Matt can help you with that.

Hi Alan, Many thanks.
Where can I contact Matt to enquire?

regards
Andras

alandyer
12-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Andras,

email PhidgetsUSA at:

phidgets@phidgetsusa.com

Alan.

phidgets
12-12-2004, 08:19 PM
I've started thinking about buying two usb encoders to be used for the Cabin-alt and landing-alt displays for my 737 overhead and Pmsystems.

My silly question is: what do I actually need for that? Two usb encoders and two display modules? Or 2x5 7segment displays that can be controlled by the encoder? I'm not too good in electronics you may have figures, so any would be highly appreciated.

Hi Andras,

Matt here,

At this time we offer our single encoder Phidget which can be found here:
http://www.phidgetsusa.com/viewproduct.asp?SKU=1052
There is a link to the datasheet on that page.

It has 16 clicks for a full rotation and a momentary switch when pressed in. You cannot change the encoder on the board.

Our old textLED display is no longer being made. We are working on a new upgraded version which we hope to have out by Feb of 2005.

Here are the specs I have so far:
There is a main board that drives up to 4 alphanumeric LED displays, each of which can be 4, 6, or 8 characters. Each display interfaces to the main board using a small ribbon cable.
The displays are 0.525" high, with 0.3" digits.
4 character display is 1.35" long,
6 character display is 2.00" long,
8 character display is 2.65" long.

I hope this helps you out!

Thanks

Matt

Andras
12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Our old textLED display is no longer being made. We are working on a new upgraded version which we hope to have out by Feb of 2005.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info.
I guess in this case I have no other way, but waiting till Feb to get everything almost p&p. I will wait, although with some impatience as my overhead is complete and these are the only items I miss...

regards
Andras