PDA

View Full Version : FS2 2.0 inop

imported_737nut
11-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi Allan,
Just installed 2.0 and i'm getting errors saying it can't locate the FS@puIPC.INI file. I can see it in the folder so it is there? I also get a runtime error 457

Also, is pmsystems offsets supported yet?

Thanks,
Rob

alandyer
11-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Is that typo? Should be FS2PhUIPC.ini

Is installation directory C:\Program Files\FS2Phidget ?

imported_737nut
11-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Yes Alan, it was a typo on my end, was installed in default location. I tried it twice. Deleted the folder and tried uninstalled and tried a third time. I get 3 error messages, 2 ini file missing and the 457 error. I can read the ini files ok as i've already printed them out to review. :)
Rob

alandyer
11-22-2004, 06:29 PM
One other thing we can look at.

Have a look at the properties for the 2 ini files.
May be permissions issue.

alandyer
11-22-2004, 06:37 PM
I think I saw what problem might be.

Install software is defaulting directory to
C:\Program Files\Fs2Phidget.exe\

Rename directory to

C:\Program Files\Fs2Phidget\

alandyer
11-22-2004, 06:56 PM
In reply to your question regarding PMsystems offsets.

Within next day I will be releasing ini file with ALL FSUIPC offsets.

Initially, my thinking was to keep offsets to barest essentials.
But what is not essential for one Simnaut might not be true of another.

alandyer
11-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Rob,

While we are discussing offsets INI file:

Do you prefer offsets listed in
(a) alphabetical order
(b) offset order
(c) logical groupings (as in current release) ?

Interested in your comments.

Thanks,
Alan.

imported_737nut
11-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Alan,
I like the current way (common groups) Easier to navigate.

I might also suggest a couple of examples on how to adjust and or add entries to the INI files , written for dummies :D

I'll try changing the folder and report back.
Thanks,
Rob

alandyer
11-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Rob,

Appreciate the feedback.
Will keep that grouping.

I really need to come check out your sim.

Regards,
Alan.

alandyer
11-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Rob,

The new tutorial has very short section on updating INI file, but you are right, this will need to be expanded.

imported_737nut
11-22-2004, 11:55 PM
I think i need to have a mini sim-fest! :D You and David Allen and it would be nice if Chuck could make it up. You are invited anytime!

Got everything working now with the software. Your trick worked.

Next question, got the flaps all calibrated and working great. I have a flaps gauge with a micro servo attached to the back of it and hooked to a phidget servo board. How can i calibrate this to work? It would be great if we could do it the same way as the slider/pot to the flaps handle calibration.

I tried several different offsets and the servo still only has full travel one way or the other, no middle stopping area. Bug or my improper set-up??

Rob

Nav Lt
11-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi Rob,

What kind of servo are you using for your flap indicator? When I try to use my servo with FSPidgets motor controller and software, as soon as I change my flap setting, it starts to turn, and turn and turn,...... without stoping!!! :eek:

I watch as the FS value goes from 0 to 16383, but just keeps going after the value as been reached. So, I'm figuring, that either I'm not setting something right in the software, OR I dont have the right servo.

Alan, if your reading, this is awesome software. I look forward to completing the flaps indicator and then moving onto my overhead panel with Project Magenta's PM systems.

Best Regards,
James

imported_737nut
11-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi James,
I'm using a standard micro servo from Hitec, It has the righ travel, just the software is commanding either 0 or 180deg. Knothing in between. Sounds like your servo is either been modified, broke, or a sail servo. Retract servo's go 360 but that's it. Sail winch servos will keep going and going.
Rob

phidgets
11-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi James,
Retract servo's go 360 but that's it.
Hi Rob,

Do you have part #'s for retract servos? Alan and I still want to play with some 360 servo's to see if they could drive needle displays.

Thanks

Matt

imported_737nut
11-23-2004, 02:12 PM
My srvo is the #55 micro, Here is the link to hitec servo's, good value for price,
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servos.htm

Rob

Nav Lt
11-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi Rob,

The servo that I got, is a hacked one. However, before the FSPhidgets 2.0 came out, I could get it to reverse direction when retracting the flaps. Now, there is no reverse direct control.

Also, my train of thought was since the 737NG has an indicator that travels 270 degrees, I would need a 360 degree turning servo. I take it that you adjusted your gage face to reflect the 180 degree travel in your flap indicator servo?

Thanks for entertaining these myriad of questions.

Best regards,
James

imported_737nut
11-23-2004, 04:01 PM
The servo problem is software right now.

As for mine, my flaps gauge does not have position 1 and 2. It is temporary set-up for now. I will post a pic soon.

alandyer
11-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Rob,

With regard to your servo problem.
It wasn't anything you were doing.
There was a small bug that you stumbled upon.
Made a code tweak.

Also noticed that flap deflection in the ini file had no fstype and lo or hi values.

2.0.2 will sort out problem.

Regards,
Alan.

phidgets
11-23-2004, 09:14 PM
My srvo is the #55 micro, Here is the link to hitec servo's, good value for price,
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servos.htm

Rob
This is the one that travels 360?

It only says 40 on servo city, which usually means twice that.
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-55_sub-micro.html

I was looking at the 75bb, which does say retract.
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-75bb_retract.html

I'm going to try that one out when I get a chance and see if our controller can work with it.

Matt

imported_737nut
11-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Matt, You are correct, the 75 is the retract servo, the 55 is what i use in my flaps servo.

Alan,
Thanks for the update, i'll give it a try.

So when are you coming up!? :D

Rob

alandyer
11-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Let me know if 2.0.2 resolved servo problem.

imported_737nut
11-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Alan,
Good news, servo and flaps function work great now! If possible, could we get it so we can custom set servo position versus flaps position, like the flaps handle cal is done? Reason i ask is, my gauge lines up perfect for 25,30, and 40 Position 10,15 are close, flaps 1,2,and 5 do not move my servo enough. Every servo has a little different movement so fine tuning would be cool. ;)

I know, i'm getting picky now :p

imported_737nut
11-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Forgot to tell you that the servo movement was very smooth!! Very realistic operation!

Will it be possible to drive other gauges in this method?

Rob

alandyer
11-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Rob,

I will have look at calibrating servo to flap deflection position, but want to let dust settle from 2.x first.

Maybe I should bring my laptop along to your hanger for a visit and we can work on it.

I'm on vacation between Christmas and New Year.

Regards,
Alan.

Nav Lt
11-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Thanks Alan,

My servo now stops rotation when the offset value for the designated flap setting is reached. Now my next problem is that I think I have the wrong type of servo. When I set flaps, it rotates clockwise easily, however when flap retraction is desired, my servo keeps going clockwise instead of counter clockwise. :(

I was hoping that a 360 servo would meet my needs for the 270 gauge. Might have to check into what Rob is using and give that a try. My desire though will still be the full 270 swing. Also, when I start my overhead gauges, all of those swing 270 degrees or more as well.

Great work and thanks again.

Regards,
James

imported_737nut
11-24-2004, 01:00 AM
James,
Right now, for a true 270 degress with a plain servo, you will have to add some extra external gearing. Not an option i want to explore, yet ;)

My gauge reads 5,10,15,20,25,30,40 all in a 180 sweep. Right now i have 10-40 right on the money, 5 is a little off but not much.

This flap gauge took me less then 30mins to put together, it's not pretty from the back due to the sealed back i had to cut open, but it does work.

Shoot me your email and i'll send you some pics.
Rob

Nav Lt
11-24-2004, 01:08 AM
Rob,

I would be interested in your pics. My e-mail address is jdtwomey@wavecable.com. I wonder if Matt might have any ideas about making a 360 servo work.

I look foward to seeing your project pictures. Thanks for the help!

Regards,
James

phidgets
11-24-2004, 02:30 AM
I have to try out a 360 to see if we can push it through the whole arc. But I already know that the resolution on it might be less than desirable. When I order servos next I'll pick one up. This won't be for a little while. I'm well stocked right now. I'll report my findings.

Matt