PDA

View Full Version : Type of switches used

Stringer52
11-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Ive decided phidgets are the way to go on my overhead panel Im going to build for my sim...
http://jtw737.mysimflight.com

just a question though,
Do the phidget switch inputs require momentary switches, or will a standard toggle work OK??

John White
Newburgh, IN

phidgets
11-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi John,

Phidgets work with either type of switch. The 0/16/16 are standard digital inputs that just "listen" for when they are closed or open. Which switches you need for your sim is more about what is right for your setup. I can't tell you that. But I was under the impression that overhead panels were toggle switches. If that is the case then momentary switches won't work because as soon as you take your finger off the button the Phidget and the program will read it as off.

So the basic question is, what does your overhead panel need? Momentary or switches that stay on? What is in the overhead panel in MSFS for the plane you are building? Whatever that answer is, that's what you need to wire up :)

I hope this answers your question. If not maybe another sim builder can ring in with a better response.

Thanks for choosing Phidgets!

Matt

Stringer52
11-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Matt. That's good to know.
I prefer toggle switches.
The thing is, most of the setups Ive read about in the past for rigging up switches (keyboard emulators, for example) required momentary switches. That way, it simulates only one keypress and not a constant one.
Regular toggle switches are what I need for the CRJ overhead Im building.

Cant wait to get started...

John