PDA

View Full Version : 737 NG flap indicator

Nav Lt
07-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Good day,

I'm building a home cockpit and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to program and make a indicator. It needs to have a 270 degree rotation and interface with FS9.

Here is a picture of what I'm trying to make. I already have the face plate, I just need the mechanism to move the needle when the flight simulator program says that it is changing position.

I know VERY little about programming let alone what version I would need to write it in. :) Does your componets require good programming skills? If so, how hard would it be to learn and where would you sugest that I start?

I'm curious as to what you have to say. Thank you for your time.

James

phidgets
07-21-2004, 01:18 AM
Good day,

I'm building a home cockpit and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to program and make a indicator. It needs to have a 270 degree rotation and interface with FS9.

Here is a picture of what I'm trying to make. I already have the face plate, I just need the mechanism to move the needle when the flight simulator program says that it is changing position.

I know VERY little about programming let alone what version I would need to write it in. :) Does your componets require good programming skills? If so, how hard would it be to learn and where would you sugest that I start?

I'm curious as to what you have to say. Thank you for your time.

JamesHi James!

It sounds to me like you would need only a single servo controller with a servo to make what you need. For the 270 degrees of rotation you would need to perform a small hack on the servo. You open up the servo and cut out the stop tab so that the servo can turn for your full range. Here are some links:

Parallax offers a pre-hacked servo
http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=900-00008
So does http://www.robodyssey.com (http://www.robodyssey.com/)
http://mivasecure.abac.com/bpatton/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RS&Product_Code=FS&Category_Code=SAM
Here are some tutorials
http://www.acroname.com/robotics/info/ideas/continuous/continuous.html
http://members.cox.net/rbirac2/Ebot/servo_hack.htm

Now for your coding questions. Basically, our servo controller is the easiest to program on the market. But, to someone who has never coded before that might not mean much. It would be a big project to buy VB6 and learn it just to create your indicator. Not to mention the cost. Do you need to be a really good programmer? No. It's very easy.

We are working with a software guy who is writing a plug and play solution for users just like yourself. With his program you will just open a program and set what you want your servo to do from which data being sent out of MSFS. This is the route I'd suggest to you. Sign up on our newsletter and we will let people know when this software comes out. We are very excited about it since it will really open up peoples abilities to use Phidgets in there Sims.

I hope this helps you out!

Matt

Nav Lt
07-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Matt,

This sounds great and makes it seem like my cockpit will take on a whole new dimension. Thank you for the reply and look forward to the software release. The next project that I have after the flaps is going to be the overhead. That will require about a hundred digital inputs and about 60 digital outputs. :eek: Hope to hear soon of the software release. :)

Regards,
James

phidgets
07-25-2004, 04:14 AM
The next project that I have after the flaps is going to be the overhead. That will require about a hundred digital inputs and about 60 digital outputs. :eek:
Actually, there is a neat trick you can use to create more inputs. For example, let's say you have two 888 boards. You make a wiring grid like an X Y axis with one board for each axis and whalla, instead of 16 digital inputs you now have 64!

Of course, if you want to buy 8 boards instead I'm fine with that solution too ;)

Matt

777Simulator
07-26-2004, 02:55 PM
James,

Where did you find your flap mechanisms? I saw your web page somewhere (HSB I think), and it appears that you have the gears and everything in place. Very neat!

Nav Lt
07-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi Robert,

I wish that I could say that indicator is mine. Actually, it is a sample picture that I used from another site. It is my current project that I'm trying to build for addition to my cockpit. And since I'm not smart on computer code to FS9, I'm hoping to build this indicator using phidgets servos and break out boards.

I went to your site, and I must say that I'm envious of your project. Nice work! I hope to have my 737 NG look as good as your 777 someday.

Regards,
James

Nav Lt
09-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Matt,

I was wondering if there has been any progress in making your products plug in play for the home cockpit yet? Sorry if I have missed the announcement if it has already been advertised. Been a busy time. Code is still something that is pure magic to me. :D

James

Nav Lt
09-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Okay I see that the software is available, now I'm ready to bite and purchase the things I need to make this indicator as shown above.

I have one quick question though, the servo in your 1-Motor Phidget USB Servo Controller Kit, is it already hacked to be able to give me the 270 degree swing that I need? Or do I still need to purchase another servo separately as you mentioned earlier?

Thanks for your time, and standing by to spend $$$$ when I here from you.

James

phidgets
09-15-2004, 09:09 PM
I have one quick question though, the servo in your 1-Motor Phidget USB Servo Controller Kit, is it already hacked to be able to give me the 270 degree swing that I need? Or do I still need to purchase another servo separately as you mentioned earlier?

Hi James,

Sorry I missed your previous post from the 3rd. I don't know why I didn't get an email when you posted it.

Our servos aren't hacked. They are standard Hitech 322. You would proably want to purchase a prehacked one from one of the links above.

Now about the software. We haven't played with hacked servos yet so it hasn't been tested. I'll talk to Alan and see what he says about whether or not it can do it or if he needs to add that functionality.

Thanks for your time, and standing by to spend $$$$ when I here from you.

Great way to get my attention ;) But hold tight for now until I get the 270 degree software answer for you. Alan might tell me that we just have to test it out to know. If you live in the states and want to give it a try after Alan says the software is ready I'll sell you one with a promise to refund the controller if it doesn't work. Obviously, I can't refund the hacked servo since I won't be selling you that. All you would need from me is the 1-servo controller.

I think having a solution for this kind of need would be a great thing to offer so let's see if we can pull it off :)

Matt

Nav Lt
09-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Matt,

I will hold tight! Just to let you know, I have been talking up my desire on building this indicator on a few other forums, and have a couple of people who are very interested in how it comes out. So, I think that the popularity could be there if this works. Oh and yes I do reside in the US, Good ole Seattle Wa. to be exact! :D

Waiting to hear good news,
James

phidgets
09-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Okay,

I already talked to Alan :)

Bottom line is, he's not sure. We are confident that we can handle the code needed to make it work on our end, but what we don't know is how a hacked servo truly behaves. People usually hack servos in order to make robots. They attach the servo to the wheels and use them to drive around. What we are afraid of is that a hacked servo won't understand what you mean when you try to tell it to go to 280 etc. It might try to spin forever.

So we will play with it on our end. Alan says he needs the same thing and as you said, many people do. So I'd love to figure something out.

I will post what we discover here in this forum. Alan is a very busy cat these days so we are probably talking a month timeline or something like it.

Thanks!

Matt

Nav Lt
09-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Matt,

If you THINK that the code should be able to handle it and the only question comes to wether or not the servo will react properly, I'm willing to go ahead with the purchase and find out.

Since the computer sends out the signal via FSUIPC to the servo for a range of 0 to 270 degrees, I just need it to rotate to the desired flap setting and reverse when I no longer need that desired flap setting.

So, if you think that a code is already in place for that, I'm willing to give it a try and get a hacked servo to see what happens. Then I will be glad to let you know how it turns out.

James

phidgets
09-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Yeah but... I'M not willing to let you try :)

YET.

The software isn't ready until we look into it. We are just confident that it won't BE a software issue. More a mechanical one. And I don't want you as a customer to try that out because you would be dead in the water from the get go until we play with it.

I understand you are eager, but we need to play with it first. You'll be the first to know I promise. If we get something going I'm more than happy to let you be the first beta tester.

Matt

Nav Lt
09-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Matt,

Understood... :D Thank you for making sure your ready first. I will be waiting to hear from you. And thanks again.

James

alandyer
10-16-2004, 05:38 PM
James,

2 Servos might be required if you want separate indications for left and right flaps.
With Fs2phidgets software you would assign either left or right flap position to a servo. Servo would then track flap position in MS-FS.

If you hooked up Leading Edge Device display to output phidget and assigned to flap position with different triggering threshold you would synchonize to flap indicator very nicely.

Regards,
Alan.

Nav Lt
10-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Hi Alan,

Thank you for your reply. My first attempt at making this flap indicator will only be with one indication. The picture that I used was just an example of what I was trying to imulate. Single flap needle is all I need for now. Do you think that phidgets software will work with the servo? ie: advance and retract ? If so, then I will be purchasing the goods today. :D

Oh, one last question: Am I to use the FSUIPC offset of "0BE0 bit 4" or "0BE4 bit 4" for the indicator, or is it already available in the phidgets software?

Thanks again,
James

alandyer
10-19-2004, 10:46 PM
James,

Have a look at the tutorial for fs2phidgets software.
You don't deal directly with FSUIPC offsets directly.
End-users are presented with a drop down list of the most popular FSUIPC settings.
LEFT_FLAPS_DEFLECTION and RIGHT_FLAPS_DEFLECTION are on the list.
The FSUIPC settings are not hard-coded.
They are listed in an Access database that you can add-to or modify.
I am in process of moving away from Access database to regular INI file that can easily be modified with easy-to-use editor like Notepad.

I also have big interest in 270 servo for my own B737NG project.
I'll obtain servo from Matt and try it out.
Software already has functionality to calibrate servos.
Will tweak for 270 if neccesary.

Regards,
Alan.

wchambers
10-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Any news on this - I have just been reading these posts and I too am headed in the same direction - I would love to hear of any updates on any side of the equation. Thanks. :o

imported_737nut
10-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Me too! :) I have a real flaps indicator that i'm going to use in my 737sim so i'm looking forward to making this work. Thanks Alan and phidgetsUSA!!
Rob
www.737nut.com

Nav Lt
10-29-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been away for job reason, however I hope to have this up and running soon. I'll post what my results are as soon as I have it working or not. Sound good?

James

wchambers
10-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Great - can't wait to hear how it goes.
Thanks.

Will :p

Nav Lt
11-06-2004, 11:42 PM
James,

Have a look at the tutorial for fs2phidgets software.
You don't deal directly with FSUIPC offsets directly.
End-users are presented with a drop down list of the most popular FSUIPC settings.
LEFT_FLAPS_DEFLECTION and RIGHT_FLAPS_DEFLECTION are on the list.
The FSUIPC settings are not hard-coded.
They are listed in an Access database that you can add-to or modify.
I am in process of moving away from Access database to regular INI file that can easily be modified with easy-to-use editor like Notepad.

I also have big interest in 270 servo for my own B737NG project.
I'll obtain servo from Matt and try it out.
Software already has functionality to calibrate servos.
Will tweak for 270 if neccesary.

Regards,
Alan.

I see that the LEFT_FLAPS_DEFECTION and Right is currently offered in the drop down menu of the Phidgets software. I'm to take it that I can use my servo as a flap indicator now? As of right now, when I set flap 5, the servo just keeps spinning even after the FSUIP value has been reached. By the way to both you and Matt, I love these Phidgets. Much easier to build my B737NG! :D

imported_737nut
11-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Happened to me also and Matt said he would have Alan look into it. Alan also stated after he got caught up he would get it nailed down. On my servo it goes from Flaps up to flaps 40 :o

Jan Pemöller
09-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Hi,

I´m just trying to get my servo controlled by FSphidgets (Last build). But after connecting, it spinning around and around. I think the calibration does not work or the Offset is wrong!

Any Ideas?

Thanks for Help
Jan

alandyer
09-23-2005, 05:31 AM
Jan,

Two things.

(1) Could you provide some information to help me help you.
Type of servo your using, what you are assignning to servo, etc ?

(2) Could we put this on another thread, unless its related to James' flap issues ?

Did the brightness work for you few months back ?
You never got back to me.
I worked through my weekend doing that for you.

This weekend we have a hurricane coming through, so I will most probably not be able to look at anything.

Regards,
Alan.

Jan Pemöller
09-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Hi Alan,

first: Yes, the brightness thing works great ;-))) You know no news are good news ;-) I will make some new tests this weekand with my flap problem and will come back to you! OK? Hope that the hurricane will not to strong for you guys.
Best Regards
Jan

Jan Pemöller
09-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Alan,

problem is fixed. I used a modified servo (wrong)! With a normal one it works better. But the calibration is not easy ... The distance between the flapsteps are different, so with your calibration system you cannot get every step 100%. Or have I forgot here some thing?

Best regards
Jan