PDA

View Full Version : FDS MCP Help Please

737NG-Ed
02-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Hi all,

My first Post. I have just started to put together my FDS MCP for my 737NG. Included in the parts were smoked perspex or some other material to cover the seven segment LED displays (course, altitude etc). Being a bit nervous at messing things up I would be grateful to find out how any of you fitted these to the front panel. My guess is using some form of glue and attaching them to the rear of the front panel. Grateful for advice.

Thank you.

Ed

Trevor Hale
02-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Welcome Ed,

Someone should be on not to long from now, that I am sure will be able to answer your question.

Until then, It is possible to find some tutorials on this in our Tutorial section under FDS.

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/view_tutorials.php

Good Luck and Have a great day!

Trev

737NG-Ed
02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info.

Bob Reed
02-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey Ed. I think the way you stated in your post is the way it is done. Is there machined out space in the back for the masks?

737NG-Ed
02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. There is no machined out slot in the faceplate. OK, out with the glue it is. Thank you for your help.

Ed

Joe Cygan
02-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

My first Post. I have just started to put together my FDS MCP for my 737NG. Included in the parts were smoked perspex or some other material to cover the seven segment LED displays (course, altitude etc). Being a bit nervous at messing things up I would be grateful to find out how any of you fitted these to the front panel. My guess is using some form of glue and attaching them to the rear of the front panel. Grateful for advice.

Thank you.

Ed

Ed,
What you want to do is place that plastic smoked-glass in back of the MCP window and hold it there firmly while you trace the opening of the MCP window from the front of the MCP panel onto the plastic smoked glass. A metal scribe works well for this. Now, when you remove the plastic smoked-glass you will see an outline of the opening of the MCP window. Take that piece and carefully sand down the edges on a six-inch sanding disk or any other device that will sand the piece. After you sanded it down to the lines you scribed on the smoked glass go ahead and test fit it in the MCP window until it is nice and flush from the front. Be careful not to sand too much, as you will see gaps and it will not look very good. Use plastic glue to attach the window to the MCP but only to the back edge, as this will be ample. This way you will never see any glue from the front and will look nice and Professional.

I hope this helps.

Trevor Hale
02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. There is no machined out slot in the faceplate. OK, out with the glue it is. Thank you for your help.

Ed

Just be careful that the vapor from the glue won't eat the plastic, or change it's color.

I hate when glue does that, then my fingers stick together :)

Trev

Bob Reed
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Um.... Trevor.... Please keep your fingers out of the glue!!

Trevor Hale
02-08-2007, 03:03 PM
OOooooh. I didn't know that.. I thought I was supposed to put glue on my fingers. :rolleyes:

LOL Bob!

737NG-Ed
02-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Joe,

Sorry it has taken me some time to reply. Many thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Ed

Bob Reed
02-17-2007, 02:13 PM
So... Do you have any pictures?

737NG-Ed
02-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Bob,

Sorry but I have no pictures at the moment.

Kind Regards

Ed