PDA

View Full Version : Alternate back lighting???

bindook
02-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Is anybody using glow in the dark paint to light up there panels?

Michael

Trevor Hale
02-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Michael,

Actually is a good thought, however I believe you may have a big challange ahead of you.

I haven't heard of anyone using such a product. A couple of problems may hinder your idea. In order to hav the GID Paint work, it requires charging from a light source. Most cockpits sit in the dark, even when they are not in use. Therefore the paint would never get a chance to charge.

Another possible issue is that the charge time is longer then the glow time, and it is not a 2 Hr charge for 1 hour light ratio either, there is a formula scale and it has glow time limitations factored into it. Even if you left it in light for a long period of time say maybe 8 hours, you may still only get an hour of glow.

Lastly, GID Paint has a lifetime, it will work for only so many charges and discharges.

Just my thoughts.

Great idea though.

bindook
02-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Trevor,
just thought i would ask as i saw some paint for sale on ebay. The white had a 2hr limit but the other colors had (they say) up to 14hrs. But recharging would be a problem....back to the drawing board ;-)

Michael

Westozy
02-08-2007, 03:54 AM
I am doing a tutorial on panel building and simple backlighting in the June issue of Computer Pilot if you can wait that long!

Gwyn

Trevor Hale
02-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Trevor,
just thought i would ask as i saw some paint for sale on ebay. The white had a 2hr limit but the other colors had (they say) up to 14hrs.

Wow, I am not sure about 14 Hours, sheesh I will remember that if I want to paint my snowmobile or something :razz: Guess you learn something new each and every day.

HansJansen
02-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Would simple white paint and "blacklight" (== UV) lamps be a solution?

Hans

Trevor Hale
02-09-2007, 03:29 PM
it might, but the color would be off though.

I use a special Ink Jet paper. It used to be made by Epson, however now a few companies make it. It basically is shiny on one side and matt Finished white on the other. When you print on it in Black Inc, you basically are printing a mirrored negative immage. Thus, when you put the light behind it, the light only is shown through the white part of the paper.

Works good, and is much cheeper then buying your panels. Hard part is, all the panels need to be drawn in a program like Adobe.

Regards,

Trev

nrasch0402
02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Trev,
Do you have any sample that you have used in you project?

Trevor Hale
02-12-2007, 09:25 AM
I will have to take some pictures when I get home today.

New Dassault Sim panels havn't been printed yet. Soon, Soon.

Other then that, look at these two video's and you will see the backlit panels in action in my old A330 Sim.

http://www.fsflightservice.com/Preflightnov.wmv
http://www.fsflightservice.com/Inflightnov.wmv

Watch the video's and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Trev