PDA

View Full Version : Looking for display ideas

Barrykensett
12-22-2017, 05:07 PM
I am running a home cockpit using four HD screens. In P3D prior to Version 4 I could get 30 fps with reasonable settings and smooth flying.
Having gone to version 4 I am finding frame rate is now below 20 fps and in scenery below that so is not enjoyable flying. I am temporarily using two screens and getting over 70 fps with higher settings.
My PC is five years old and I would build a new one if I could get higher speeds but I am running at 4.40 with overclocking and looking at processors available they don't seem to have got much faster. There is very little running on the main PC other than FS. I do run Jeehell server on that and I know it is now possible to run that on the network but not sure how much that will do. I plan to try it.
Can anyone give me ideas on which way to go?
You can see my setup here www.a320sim.com (http://www.a320sim.com)
Barry

OmniAtlas
12-23-2017, 02:56 AM
I would dedicate your main PC to P3D alone - the FMGS Server program might affect performance if run concurrently.

I am running everything on one 7700k processor overclocked to 4k - its a tad slow at busy airports (I think I am loosing around 10-20 frames), but will do for now. I plan to setup another computer further down the line which will run the FMGS avionics software independently.

Its not only about clock speed, but how the IPC is performing -- for example I had a Sandy Bridge 2500k which could overclock to 4.4 ghz, but my 7700k only clocked to 4 ghz has much much more computing power.

iwik
12-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Barry,
Have a look on Cockpitbuilders.com, there has been plenty of discussion on PC power. Lots of good advice.
Regards
Les

Barrykensett
12-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have tried moving the FMGS server onto another PC but it is not working for me, clearly I have done something wrong and will keep trying. Although I have edited the IP addresses it is not connecting across the network.
Barry

OmniAtlas
12-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have tried moving the FMGS server onto another PC but it is not working for me, clearly I have done something wrong and will keep trying. Although I have edited the IP addresses it is not connecting across the network.
Barry

Have you followed my tutorial Barry?

Barrykensett
12-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Have you followed my tutorial Barry?
Yes thanks, it was not the simconnect that was bothering me, I was not getting my Skalarki gear running properly but I have sorted that so all seems to be working. I have some setting up to do before I can comment on frame rates but it looks promising. Family festive events getting in the way of my simulating!
Barry

Barrykensett
12-24-2017, 05:41 PM
Well I got the system working and the frame rates on the FS looked to be 5 to 10 FPS higher. Needs extended testing to firm up on that.
However the PC that I put the server on drives the displays and the FCU and it slowed down to an unacceptable level. I then tried on the PC that runs the hardware and MCDU and again it slowed that down (not a high spec PC) so overall it is clear the server takes up a good bit of processing power.
I have a laptop wth i7 processor which may drive the server so that is the next planned trial.
Barry