PDA

View Full Version : Current projector suggestions?

xplanematt
09-18-2017, 01:46 AM
Hi all,

Tonight was the first "flight" of my Sabreliner project....pretty primitive, I just stuck a projector atop the cockpit and plugged in a joystick. But, after 4+ years of restoring and interfacing, having a big projected image out front and "flying" from the pilot's position was quite an experience!

Trying to figure out a projector solution. I tried a Mitsubishi WD3300U first, which looked fabulous and was nice and bright (even against a garage door...), but it's not short-throw, so the image was kinda small. Then I robbed the Optoma EX525ST from my old sim, as it's a short-throw. Image size was more than sufficient for a single channel, but it was REALLY DIM. Specs for this projector show a brightness of 2500 lumens, but 4000 lumens for the Mitsubishi. Of course, neither of these projectors are very high resolution.

With a proper screen and moving the projectors closer, the Optoma *might* fit the bill, but I'd like to hear what others are using at the moment. I saw the Benq W1080ST mentioned on the forums, but it has an abysmal 2800 lumens.....think I'm going to want something at LEAST 3500.

Matt