PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving techniques

da42project
09-07-2016, 07:21 AM
Hello everybody,

After several try-outs for our panels and being used to CNC-engraving, we are really not happy with the results of laser engraving. We are using clear plexiglass. Is there any way by laser to get white text (without having to drop in white paint afterwards)?
It seems that by changing the power of the laser it still doesn't give the result we expect from it, it still eats all layers of paint away.

Thank you in advance!

Jan737
09-07-2016, 07:42 AM
Hello everybody,

After several try-outs for our panels and being used to CNC-engraving, we are really not happy with the results of laser engraving. We are using clear plexiglass. Is there any way by laser to get white text (without having to drop in white paint afterwards)?
It seems that by changing the power of the laser it still doesn't give the result we expect from it, it still eats all layers of paint away.

Thank you in advance!

Simply don't use clear plexi but opal acrylic for the best results.

Regards

Jan

jonesthesoftware
09-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Better still use white acrylic as opal acrylic looks grey when not backlit. Ask your plastics supplier for 3mm white acrylic with 30% transparency. Spray this then engrave through all paint to show nice white characters.
Just a suggestion but leave your painted acrylic for a week or more before engraving to allow paint to fully harden as this gives crisper engraving.
I use 3mm white stuck on 6mm clear. I personally spray thea whole sheet of 3mm white with household matt acrylic as it is water based. Leave for 1-2 weeks to harden, engrave then spray with matt laquer to give a scratch resistant finish .
regards
geoff

m0ng00se
09-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Hello everybody,

After several try-outs for our panels and being used to CNC-engraving, we are really not happy with the results of laser engraving.

I get very decent results with my cheap chinese 40w laser. clear acrylic with a thin layer of white plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTpjntrb_r8