PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Build Mechanical Issue, help wanted!

sharonna511
03-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Hello

I am currently in the progress of building a Q400 Throttle Unit.
I am already very far with it, but now i am at an impasse, i am a handyman so i can build stuff but i am not good with mechanics.
My original mechanic does not work as intended.

Let me explain my problem:
If i turn a lever the hole threaded rod turns with it, and the nuts tighten/lose themselves.
I have no clue how to prevent that, every idea / help is welcome.

See attachments pictures for my construction.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Sharonna

Jan737
03-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Hi Sharonna,

You can use self locking nuts or Loctite 243. That will prevent loosing the nuts.

Regards

Jan

sharonna511
03-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Thanks a lot, will try it with those nuts, and i always wondered for what they where...

Westozy
03-07-2016, 09:52 PM
I would remove your threaded rod altogether and fit a simple plain rod for your pivot axle. Use larger diameter spacers up against your gears to stabilize the levers. You could fit two threaded rods front and back to stabilize your dividers and these could also act as throttle stops. I'm not a fan of the threaded rod and nut method, very tedious to assemble. You could use simple tubes cut to length to act as spacers with threaded rod and only one nut at each end. Cheers Gwyn (Pro throttle builder!!)

sharonna511
03-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the idea !
Your absolutly right, it sucks. I just had no other idea.
To clarify: Have i got this right ? Instead of the nuts use a plain pipe/tube and inside that runs the threaded rod, then nuts at both ends, the tubes cut to lenght for spacing but so that its tight.

Thanks for your help.

See attachment, blue = thread rod, copper = tubes.

I would remove your threaded rod altogether and fit a simple plain rod for your pivot axle. Use larger diameter spacers up against your gears to stabilize the levers. You could fit two threaded rods front and back to stabilize your dividers and these could also act as throttle stops. I'm not a fan of the threaded rod and nut method, very tedious to assemble. You could use simple tubes cut to length to act as spacers with threaded rod and only one nut at each end. Cheers Gwyn (Pro throttle builder!!)

Westozy
03-08-2016, 11:52 PM
Hi Sharonna, yes that would work if the tubes are all tightened by the nuts on each end. your drive gears/levers should rotate on the outside of the tubes then they will not interfere with other levers. You should still fit large diameter spacers up to the throttle gears to stop the levers bending sideways. I also mount my potentiometers on swinging arms so they can be rotated into mesh then locked in place, simpler than bringing the pot shaft through a wall then trying to fit the small gear.

Cheers Gwyn