PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading hardware

Barrykensett
12-02-2015, 04:40 PM
I trialled Jeehell earlier in the year and identified a number of hardware problems which I am now working through e'g I am replacing the Flight Deck Technology Simboard interface cards with FDS InterfaceIT.
On problem I had was the computer driving the ND and PFD graphics. Using AST software it works fine but using Jeehell I get very jerky graphics. I am assuming that the PC needs upgrading, it is quite old.
Specs are as follows:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
2.00 GHz 2.0 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1950GT
Windows XP
ND x 2 PFD x 2

From other experience can anyone make a guess as to whether I am likely to be processor limited or graphics card, I don't want to spend more money than I have to!

Barry
www.a320sim.com

OmniAtlas
12-05-2015, 12:14 AM
Hard to say but I'm guessing graphic card limited because FMGS uses the latest graphical libraries for draws.

You can can get away with a cheap graphics card (I think I bought a 60 AUD nvidia card) and 2 computers to run your whole flight sim setup these days.

Barrykensett
12-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks I will try another card. I have six pc's driving my sim at the moment, will have to think about upgrades but in view of the number of screens (10) I may need dual graphics cards as I reduce number of PC's.
Barry

Barrykensett
12-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Tried another graphics card but that did not improve things. I think I must face up to PC replacement and may rationalise while I am at it.
Thanks for the advice though.
Barry
www.a320sim.com

OmniAtlas
12-21-2015, 10:19 AM
I use an Intel G3258 (one computer) for all the panels and MCDU without any issues.

Barrykensett
12-21-2015, 01:18 PM
That's helpful, what graphics card(s) do you use? I have three LCD panels plus two MCDU screens and a clock, can leave the last three on older pc's of course.
Barry

OmniAtlas
12-22-2015, 06:24 AM
That's helpful, what graphics card(s) do you use? I have three LCD panels plus two MCDU screens and a clock, can leave the last three on older pc's of course.
Barry

Asus ENGT720-SL-2GD3-BRK GeForce GT 720 2GB silent graphics card features a 902MHz engine clock, 2GB 64-bit DDR3 memory, PCI-E 2.0, D-Sub, DVI, HDMI and HDCP support
$75.00

--

Note that the GPU has 3 ports, so if your motherboard has 2 video outputs you should be set.

3 outputs for the panels
2 outputs for the mcdu.