PDA

View Full Version : Opencockpit Airbus radio module

OmniAtlas
06-23-2015, 12:04 AM
The OC airbus radio module (http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/airbus-radio-module-p-256.html?cPath=22_63) looks like a good representation of the one found on the real airbus.

Unfortunately back lighting is controlled by a switch at the back of the panel.

Has anyone successfully integrated the OC radio panel with a 5V lead controlled by the INTEG LT pot?

Thank you,

Ben

brianwilliamson
06-23-2015, 02:50 AM
Ben,

I have not tried any dimming as yet on mine, but it might pay to send an email to Open Cockpits and ask how they have set it up. They are usually helpful if you get the right person to answer you ( sometimes !)

Regards..............Brian W.

OmniAtlas
06-23-2015, 04:46 AM
Hi Brian,

I got a response from OC, they told me I have to 'short' the switch -- I am not too sure how complicated that process may be, without looking at the circuit, switch.

I would appreciate if you could take a look at your panel and see if it would be possible.

Thank you,

Ben

brianwilliamson
06-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Ok I will take a look at one of the radios today.

From memory, I recall a 2 pin socket on the back of the radio, so all that means that it would be similar to FCU setup, which either has a potentiometer ( 1K to 50 K probably) or a switch connected to those 2 pins.

Regards................Brian W.

OmniAtlas
06-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Thank you Brian,

Hopefully if all is well I will continue with an order from OC.

brianwilliamson
06-24-2015, 03:42 AM
Ben, tried a Pot. but it is drawing too much current I suspect, so suggest that a quick email to opencockpits would be the safest bet.
Regards...............Brian W.

OmniAtlas
06-24-2015, 05:05 AM
Cheers, will do, thanks Brian.

brianwilliamson
06-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Ben,

I also sent an email to their help department to see if we can get an answer. It seems as though they use another usb board to do some dimming, for which I am not familiar. It should be a simple job, but knowing Open Cockpits, it will more than likely be a bit more complex !

Have just upgraded the knobs on the RMP's to look a little better.

Regards..................Brian W.

OmniAtlas
06-27-2015, 11:14 PM
Thanks Brian, your job looks very professional :)

I am assuming the transponder (backlighting) would also be wired up similarly.

brianwilliamson
06-28-2015, 03:06 AM
I have not pulled the transponder out yet, as have only just done the knobs for it, but from memory it should be the same.

Regards....................Brian W.

OmniAtlas
07-14-2015, 01:14 AM
Hi Brian,

discussed with OC - they can create a custom version but it more than doubles the price. A little too much just to control the backlight :)

Perhaps the backlighting is a small oversight and something I can just ignore.

OmniAtlas
11-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Looks like you can backlight control the opencockpit radios (or any of their devices)

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21672

"By the way, if any one interested, you can isolate the backlighting of the O/C Efis by cutting the cables number 1 and 2 of J2 (in the first board). Pin 1 of J2 connects all the negatives of the 24 leds and pin 2 all the +5v. so, if you cut appart those two cables of the 10 pins parallel that connects J2 of the upper board (the one with the leds) to J1 of the third board (the one st the bottom) and solder a 4 ohms 1W resistor to the cable 2 (obviously, to the end that comes out of J2, not the one that goes to J1), you can take those two cables to what ever you are using to control/dimm your backlight system (a pot and an USBOutput board in my case).

But careful: that will finish OC's guarantee :wink:
It seems thatthe OC NAV, COM and ATC modules work the same, but I have not tryed yet"

Sounds complex -- perhaps I should get my local electrician to do it ;)

Barrykensett
11-22-2015, 07:36 AM
Just a point for interest, I got one of these modules to act as a backup when the AST MCDU crashes (regularly) and I then start this module to enable me to tune the nav radios and complete the flight. If I run it all the time it overwrites the MCDU, the main com radios and the transponder but it is possible to turn off functions you don't need in the config. Just need to heed this if running the module in a mixed setup, pity it doesn't work on the basis of "last one tuning".
An update on my sim by the way, I have got all the new hardware bits to enable me to move from AST to Jeehell so I'll be back in here more often I guess!
Barry
www.a320sim.com