PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Rotary Encoder Shaft Solution! Radio stack knob

akrochmal
05-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Radio stack knob

I was seeking a method to rotate my new mouse encoders - I did not want to tear apart a mouse.

The rotary encoder has a .075" hex drive hole

The following is a very low cost and reliable method... This works with Hex Drive Mini mouse rotary encoders (see Picture)

Drive Shaft: Obtain a section of Commercial Craftsman Grade Line Trimmer - I used their
patented 6 Blade Shape (.065" in dia.) Trimmer line. (HAS TO BE HEX SHAPE)

Drive Knob: an old nozzle from a can of spray paint - there are lots of sizes and can be obtained new from Ebay (or from an old can of spray paint like I did! my wife doesn't know yet)

Cut about a 1/2" length of trimmer line and crimp one end (your new encoder shaft) - The crimp keeps the line from falling out of the encoder. Insert shaft into encoder then crimp the other end - the line is now captured. Place a small amount (careful here) of superglue on the end of the shaft and insert the paint nozzle onto the shaft - That's it!

Remember - Before attaching the knob, insert through your cutout or dash board! Painted black... makes a fairly good replica!

Super easy - Enjoy

Andy

Guiaguia
09-13-2016, 06:54 AM
Hi Akrochmal,

I take this old conversation to ask you how you united at the encoder the knob and the stick . With my printer 3d I have built the knob and the stick to be included in the encoder (the one that you built using the trimmer line ) but do not understand how I can attach the stick and the knob at the encoder glued in wooden panel .
Hello and thanks
I take this old conversation to ask you how you set the encoder knob and the radio stack to the panel . With my printer 3d I have built the knob and the axis to be included in the encoder (the one that you built using the trimmer line ) but do not understand how I can fix the axis and the encoder knob in glued wooden panel . Hello and thanks

akrochmal
09-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Hi Akrochmal,

I take this old conversation to ask you how you united at the encoder the knob and the stick . With my printer 3d I have built the knob and the stick to be included in the encoder (the one that you built using the trimmer line ) but do not understand how I can attach the stick and the knob at the encoder glued in wooden panel .
Hello and thanks
I take this old conversation to ask you how you set the encoder knob and the radio stack to the panel . With my printer 3d I have built the knob and the axis to be included in the encoder (the one that you built using the trimmer line ) but do not understand how I can fix the axis and the encoder knob in glued wooden panel . Hello and thanks

HI! can you send me a picture of what you have? the issue with 3D printing is that it can sometimes be brittle or fracture easily - one way to increase strength is to soak it in super glue... However - i would highly recommend using the trimmer string if you can find it... the slot in the encoder is just the right size for the string (need Hexagon string - so it will take the torque)... My thought is that the printed "stick" or drive shaft will not be strong enough to take the forces when you operate the knob. I would suggest printing another knob to accommodate the trimmer string. then super glue the trimmer string to the knob... the insert in the knob should have the same hex shape as well, so the trimmer string does not turn in the knob...

The encoder i used is very flat, therefore, it is easy to affix to a MDF dash board with a recess spot to accommodate. I put a small hole in the dash board to allow the trimmer string to pass through. The knob is free floating and attached only by the trimmer string. I melted the other end of the string (near the encoder) to keep the entire assembly together. the melted string forms a little mushroom shape that keeps it from coming off. if you have access to a 3D printer, you might try to create a separate bearing surface for the knob itself... to help stability and realism.

The encoders i am using are very small and the hole is small as well... so hard to use it as a super robust attachment point. if you can figure a way to attach the knob independent of the encoder, and then just use the trimmer wire to drive the encoder... that might be the best of both worlds...Shoot me a few pictures, would be glad to toss ideas back and forth with you

cheers

Andy