PDA

View Full Version : FDS sys cards and FMGS

OmniAtlas
04-23-2015, 03:47 AM
Hi there - I am finally into the building phase of my project.

I will be purchasing a FDS sys4 to interface the hardware - a few questions i hope you experts can answer:

1. Are you using ITtcreator as provided by JL to interface with his software, or using the tekwork software and fsuipc offsets?

2. The flaps and spoiler hardware I purchased seem to be connected to a potentiometer. Can the FDS card read leads from a potentiometer, or do I need to purchase a Leo bordar card to interface?

3. What would be your recommendations to wire - dsub, molar connectors, etc?

Thank you.

anzabon
04-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Hi there - I am finally into the building phase of my project.
I will be purchasing a FDS sys4 to interface the hardware - a few questions i hope you experts can answer:

1. Are you using ITtcreator as provided by JL to interface with his software, or using the tekwork software and fsuipc offsets?

2. The flaps and spoiler hardware I purchased seem to be connected to a potentiometer. Can the FDS card read leads from a potentiometer, or do I need to purchase a Leo bordar card to interface?

3. What would be your recommendations to wire - dsub, molar connectors, etc?

Thank you.

Hi OmniAtlas,

1. The FDS Sys cards are working very well with the FMGS system - I'm using them without any problems. For the most applications you don't need to use the Tekworx software, the cards will directly detected in IITCreator and there you can assign all FMGS functions (inputs and outputs). You will only need to use the Tekworx software when you want to assign your switches directly to perform FSUIPC commands - the IITCreator doesn't support that (useful) feature. But you cannot run IITCreator and Tekworx side-by-side for a single Sys card!

2. The FDS Sys4 cards are only for switch inputs and LED outputs - not for potentiometers or rotary encoders! Flaps and spoiler hardware from FDS is equipped with potentiometers, for them you can use their FDS-FC1 card: it recognizes all kinds of potentiometers, and Jeehells FMGS itself recognizes the FDS-FC1 potentiometer card easily to assign the functions. Or you can use all other potentiometer cards like Leo's.

3. The FDS SysX cards are delivered with all pre-wired connectors needed to connect the board with your hardware in a very easy and fast way. You only have to make all connections (input and output) on common ground! The cards use standard 10-pin pcb board connectors.

FDS cards are very expensive but definitively worth the money.
If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask.

Regards, Bon

OmniAtlas
04-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Thank you Bon for the clarification.

Would a Leo Bodnar 12 bit controller be sufficient for the flaps and speedbrake/spoilers? http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=204

Are there any issues plugging these USB devices on a remote FMGS station or must they be setup (fmgs_configure.exe) on the FMGS server?

Are you familar with the FDS K4 switches? Would it be best to daisy chain all the ground leads on the k4 switches and output to one common ground lead (1 ground lead for every 8 inputs?).

Regards,

Ben

OmniAtlas
04-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Hi Bon, taking a second look at the flaps gauge it looks like a rotary selector. The fds Syd cards allow rotary inputs.

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3026&sid=128766893e4af7fe57695e686742da95

Regards.

anzabon
04-24-2015, 02:36 AM
Hello Ben,

since this Bodnar joystick card can handle up to eight analog inputs (potentiometers), you can surely use it for flaps, speedbrakes, brakes, yoke and tiller CPT side. For the F/O side you'll need a second card: brakes, yoke and tiller, so you can use the remaining ports for your throttles. For additional potis like screen dimming or cabin altitude etc. you'll need another card.

The FDS-FC1 joystick card is able to be controlled on a remote PC and to be recognized on the FMGS server, but I don't know if Leo's card is also capable of remote handling.

Hmm, you talk about FDS-K4 ("four") switches... I only know the FDS-K2 ("two") switches. Are the K4 new?
As you already described correctly the K2 switches have to be daisy-chained to one common ground for every eight switches. Simple.

For me the FDS-K2 switches were so wobbly that I've developed my own korries and throwed the K2s out of the sim. And the FDS EM switches were too expensive for me.

Maybe the actual flaps system from FDS comes with a rotary switch now - my old one works with a potentiometer :)

Best regards,
Bon

OmniAtlas
04-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Hi Bon, my apologies. I mean K2 - will most likely be going with dsubs or molar connectors to allow for easy disconnect and reconnection of panels.

I am not using an FDS flaps or spoilers; the one I was able to purchase seems to be wired to either a rotary switch or rotary encoder (how do I tell the difference?). As far as I know the FDS I/O cards allow you to connect rotary switches - this could save me some money from having to buy an additional interface board if the SYS4 can talk directly to the spoilers and flaps.

Are you able to share your method you used to manufacture your korry switches? :) Thank you.