PDA

View Full Version : Joysticks not working

virtual
03-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm feeling ashamed while posting this question but, I tried everything without success : I can't make my joysticks work ! No movement is shown on displays.

Of course I have used FMGS_Config to set correct axis for CPT controls, thrust levelers, and spoilers & flaps. I also set error around detents. (Edit : I did multiple times in case near values may cause problems)

The context is a new install from version 38.6 on two computers. I tried to re-use the joystick config file of an old working install (36.2), but equals.

I can start FMGS server and clients, I can start APU and engines but with non-idle thrust leveler. The F/CTL page of SD displays no movement at all, neither the flaps/spoilers, with engine 1 off & on.

Any idea ?

Thanks, and sorry for that question !
Stephane

virtual
04-20-2015, 03:14 PM
A little up for this thread :)

I'm up-to-date at this date (v38.9 04/20/2015)
I also tried with Avast and windows firewall disabled.

I would appreciate any help !

Thanks
Stephane

jeehell
04-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Hello,

6000 as a detent error zone seems exagerated, on a a joystick moving from 0 to 32768 you should use error zones of maximum 1000.
If your detents overlap because of too large error zones, then the result will be highly unpredictable.

As for your other axis, this is hard to tell. It works for everyone else, so I guess you're doing something wrong somewhere...
Some reminders:
- you should not be running FMGS config alongside the FMGS software, as it will make conflicts in the files etc...
- you should use the FMGS config file located in the FMGS Server folder of the version you use.
- you must not forget to save your new calibration...
- the control surfaces will move only if there is hydraulics and electrical power
- Also, in case you run the software manually, the AP/FBW is required
- you should use FSXstarter.exe if you run FSX/P3D (not starter.exe which is only for FS9).

JL

virtual
04-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Hi,

Thank you for your answer.
Unfortunately, I'm compliant with all the points you give.

If I take an old version (B35) there's no problem, all (my three) joystick inputs work. I also tried to reset and set again the throttle assignments on the B35 install, and it works again. But nothing with the fresh installed B38.9 version (I'm not telling this version has problems).

I'll continue my investigations, trying to mix config/binaries files involved in joystick control, to find the(s) file(s) in fault. I'll also check other intermediate versions...

Thanks again
Stephane

jeehell
04-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Do you use administrator rights when running the software? this is mandatory since the 38.x version series.

virtual
04-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Yes, my PC1 (FSX + FMGS) is under Win7, normal account, but FMGS is running as admin, FSX not. My PC2 is under XP with an admin account.

Perhaps a tip : The controls seems to be locked in full/zero positions :

Pitch : full up
Roll : full left
Yaw : full left
Throttle : TOGA

jeehell
04-28-2015, 05:37 AM
the tip is not at the flight controls I think, the big issue in your screenshot is:
-how can you have G and Y hydraulics when both engines seem shut down?
you probably have an issue with connection to FSX. Which version of FSX do you use? And also are you sure you use StarterFSX (and not starter)?

JL

virtual
04-28-2015, 06:15 AM
Yes, I'm using StarterFSX.

I admit I may do something wrong when starting up the aircraft (because of my knowledge). What I've done to get this screenshot is just switching on batteries, start the APU, and mannually start the PTU, which actually make control indicators green (Ok, I realize it may not be enought to get hydraulic power).

Before that test, I used to fully start the engines, but since I'm locked in TOGA without any controls, I can't experiment tests for a long time because of aircraft crashes.

Sometimes, I had warnings in the WideFMGS (I'm at work, can't remember which one), but since I usually have these from when I have started using your soft, I wasn't worried about that. I'll tell you what messages I get tonight.

Thanks again for your help

virtual
04-28-2015, 01:59 PM
So, this is the messages I get in the second PC (see below) WideFMGS log :

*****WideFMGS client started at:19:33:33.218
Create result:1
Host IP: 192.168.0.1
**19:34:20.515** Port 8003: connected
**19:34:20.515** Port 8004: connected
**19:34:20.515** Port 8005: connected
**19:34:43.453** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:43.468** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:44.812** MsgListMutex timed out
**19:34:45.265** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:46.765** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:46.781** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:46.890** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:47.140** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:49.93** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:52.31** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:53.531** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:53.546** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:55.265** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:34:55.281** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:36:3.515** MsgListMutex timed out
**19:36:20.593** MsgListMutex timed out
**19:37:22.578** MsgListMutex timed out
**19:37:41.62** MsgListMutex timed out
**19:38:54.15** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:38:59.109** MsgListMutex timed out
**19:39:6.421** MsgListMutex timed out
**19:39:45.156** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:40:5.953** MsgListMutex timed out
**19:40:21.828** MsgListMutexMain2 timed out
**19:40:56.953** MsgListMutex timed out

For information, this is my setup : on the FSX PC I have installed :
- FMGS Server and AP/FBW
- FSX/P3D Support
- SIOC Support (not used yet)

On the second PC :
- Overhead interface
- PFD Captain side
- ND Captain side
- EWD
- SD
- Software FCU
- MCDU Captain side
- Sound modules

I launch FMGS_Config while all the software were running, just to check that joystick input is available at that time, and I could see movments on it.

As soon as possible, I'll read manuals again to ensure I forgot nothing.

Stephane

jeehell
04-28-2015, 02:09 PM
I need to have a look at the file c:\A320FMGS\FMGS Server\FMGSserverLog.txt
However, since you're the only one with this problem I can only think of something you're not doing correctly...
Please try to reinstall from scracth, and do not use older versions files configuration.
Make sure the Antivirus is OFF when you install.

EDIT: by the way, did you set a reverse detent?

JL

virtual
04-28-2015, 03:38 PM
By "reverse detent", you mean "Max rev" ? Yes all throttle positions are mapped.

I've put the FMGSserverLog file online, here it is : http://virtapp.fr/a320/FMGSserverLog.txt

As you said, I seem to be alone to have this problem, and I really don't want you waste your time investigate such a problem. It's very kind of you for the help you've tried to give me so far, but if the log file don't give you clues, I will continue searching by myself :)

Merci beaucoup ;)
Stephane

jeehell
04-28-2015, 07:14 PM
I do not see anything particular in the log file...
i'd really try a full reinstall of the soft from scratch, using only a few axis at first (CPT sidestick and one thr lever).

virtual
04-30-2015, 05:04 AM
Already done new installs from scratch. I will reinstall my windows when possible, that's the ultimate thing I can do. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks
Stephane

virtual
08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Hi,

I'm back with no really good news :(

I've just reinstalled Windows on my FSX+FMGS server PC, with the last version 41.1, and I have the exact same problem.

I'd just like to ask you two little last questions :
- The problem is more probably located at the server side right ? (I mean, joysticks are plugged in the FMGS PC, which read positions and send them to your AP-FBW I suppose) The client has nothing to deal with that problem ?
- Do you plan to release the code source ?

Thanks for your answers.
Stéphane

jeehell
08-04-2015, 02:21 AM
Hi

Please post your acontrols.cfg file I'll try to have a look at it. Have you ever used an old version before where it has worked?
I do not see why it would work on fmgs config but not in the normal soft. You do not run fmgs config alongside the usual software?

As for open source, no chances.

JL

OmniAtlas
08-04-2015, 04:14 AM
Make sure controls are disabled in FSUIPC and FSX/P3D joystick settings.

virtual
08-07-2015, 02:25 AM
Hi,

I've attached the acontrols.cfg file.

Yes, when I discovered your soft, I managed to get it work. All was ok except some FSConnect error messages and disconnection issues (B35/36).
To be honest, I kept some archives of these "old" versions, that keep working before I reinstall windows, but now, I guess due to the joystick internal windows remapping, I had to reassign axis (because FMGS tells me there are not found), and finally, these old versions not even work (same issue).

No, I use FMGS config first, then save and quit, then startFSX. I have no axis controlled assigned to joysticks in FSX (but some buttons).

I did a video to show you I'm not crazy, and in case you see a mistake I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sYdXbgPwFg

Thanks again for your devotion !

virtual
08-10-2015, 10:05 AM
For information, it's equals with August 10th version.

Stephane

jeehell
08-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Can you try by unplugging the joysticks one by one to see if one in particular causes any trouble?

JL

virtual
08-10-2015, 03:27 PM
I tried all my three joysticks, one by one, as equals. Note that when I tried with my rudder pedals only, by chance, I did a reverse throttle mapping so I was getting a MREV position instead of TOGA.

Did you see something wrong in my acontrols.cfg ?

Stephane

jeehell
08-11-2015, 02:57 PM
No the acontrols.cfg looks OK...
There was an update yesterday night, tell me it if works better...

JL

virtual
08-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi,

My last test was using the newest version and was up to date :

10/08/2015
What's new in B41:
----------
-Tried to correct some joystick issues
-Corrected some issues with PRK BRK in FSX
-Tried to correct issue with installer under windows 10 (dot net not detected)

I've just tried to bind a button to a fire test button or to the flight control page on SD (because as explained in the video, I can't no more change the SD pages with keyboard (and it has focus)), but nothing happen for both of them. As I recall, previously, I had bind the master caution button successfully.

Stephane

jeehell
08-16-2015, 05:15 AM
By any chance, are you using windows 10?

virtual
08-29-2015, 05:34 AM
Hi,

No I'm using Seven for FMGS+FSX and XP for displays.

I've just done new tests on two new PC, as my previous setup : One desktop PC on Seven for FSX + FMGS and a laptop with displays. I have exactly the same problem. I tried this with two of the same joysticks, then I tried one by one, as equals.

So I only see two solutions :

My joysticks are weird
I do something wrong during configuration (But damn, one year ago, when I discovered your soft, I managed to get it work !)

I'll try to buy some new joysticks soon...

Can you just tell me the way you're getting joysticks positions ? You are using Delphi right ? which version ? then DirectX (DirectInput) to capture them ? or directly windows API ? other lib ?
I'd like to try to do as you do, so I can see if there is an option or flag that can help.

Thanks again
Stephane

jeehell
08-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Hi,

I made big changes (don't remember when exactly around B35 I think so about one year ago) to the joystick system. I switched from windows multimedia API to directinput. I use DelphiXe8.
I made a few stability fixes a few weeks ago, but those should not create any issues I believe??
Some are having issues with some devices, other with win10.
So far, I know at least that the leo bodnar boards have issues when the soft starts with them plugged in (but then later work correctly???).

JL

OmniAtlas
08-31-2015, 06:10 AM
Hi,

I made big changes (don't remember when exactly around B35 I think so about one year ago) to the joystick system. I switched from windows multimedia API to directinput. I use DelphiXe8.
I made a few stability fixes a few weeks ago, but those should not create any issues I believe??
Some are having issues with some devices, other with win10.
So far, I know at least that the leo bodnar boards have issues when the soft starts with them plugged in (but then later work correctly???).

JL

re: Leo bodnar boards, this is correct JL

jeehell
09-02-2015, 06:11 AM
Hi,

Only for people having issues with joysticks, please try that version: (not yet fully tested for public release):
http://www.jeehell.org/A320FMGS_B42.0.exe

And please report here...

JL

OmniAtlas
09-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Hi,

Only for people having issues with joysticks, please try that version: (not yet fully tested for public release):
http://www.jeehell.org/A320FMGS_B42.0.exe

And please report here...

JL

FMGS Config is now able to startup with the Leo Bodnar plugged in and no crashing. Thank you JL.

virtual
09-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Hi,

Sorry I'm late

Unfortunately, for me, it's equal with this version (and with the 42.0 one (I guess the same) that is available with the update process).
I tried moving joysticks with each window focused, as equals.

But, I don't know if it could have something to deal with, but I'm now able to change the SD display with the keyboard again (on second computer) !

Stephane

jeehell
09-09-2015, 03:49 PM
I have to ask: you did reconfigure the joysticks first in FMGS config?

The SD page buttons issue was not related at all.

JL

virtual
09-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Yes of course.
For each test I do, I delete C:/A320FMGS then reinstall, then configure joysticks, then copy navdata then run as admin, then start fsx.

There's no more StarterFSX.exe but I guess it's due to the end of FS9 support, so now I use Starter.exe

mikatsan
10-29-2015, 08:58 AM
I installed for the first time this great piece of software yesterday as i am thinking of making an A320 home cockpit.

From my very quick testing i encountered the same problem with the joystick. Airplane in TOGA mode, so i can not start the engines.

I am pretty sure i have done a correct calibration (Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X).
I used the latest update of FMGS (yesterday 28/10)
Controls disabled from FSX

At the end i put the virtual sticks. I managed to calibrate them after a couple of tries. Had reverse thrust to one engine for example...

After my first take off (TOGA from virtual sticks) i couldn't put CLIMB THRUST or even idle, etc. (maybe wrong aircraft MCDU setup??)

When i pressed AP, the dots for the managed speed, heading, altitude went off.

Thank you,
Mike

OmniAtlas
10-29-2015, 05:18 PM
I installed for the first time this great piece of software yesterday as i am thinking of making an A320 home cockpit.

From my very quick testing i encountered the same problem with the joystick. Airplane in TOGA mode, so i can not start the engines.

I am pretty sure i have done a correct calibration (Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X).
I used the latest update of FMGS (yesterday 28/10)
Controls disabled from FSX

At the end i put the virtual sticks. I managed to calibrate them after a couple of tries. Had reverse thrust to one engine for example...

After my first take off (TOGA from virtual sticks) i couldn't put CLIMB THRUST or even idle, etc. (maybe wrong aircraft MCDU setup??)

When i pressed AP, the dots for the managed speed, heading, altitude went off.

Thank you,
Mike

The throttle settings for FMGS can be extremely sensitive. if you are using virtual throttles (mouse) you need to make sure there is a setting of '1' between each detent. See the website for more details.

gurpalsc
01-28-2016, 02:34 PM
FMGS Config is now able to startup with the Leo Bodnar plugged in and no crashing. Thank you JL.
Omniatlas
by any chance you using sim equip joysticks?