PDA

View Full Version : Received FCU - Mini review

Vonduck
02-14-2015, 05:26 AM
Hi folks,

As mentioned, once i had received my FCU (from UK to NZ) i would write a small mini review initially based on my experience. The product is a Skalarki FCU -which incidentally i ordered the captain side only (FCU and EFIS) BUT when i received my product..... Marcin had so very kindly and generously included the FO side EFIS! For no extra charge! You can imagine i was more than a little taken aback! What service! Unheard of these days!!!! So, off to an outrageously good start!

The product was well packaged and copiously protected by bubble wrap . Two layers of cardboard boxing to protect it also.

After arriving home, i was keen to try the unit. As it really belongs in a purpose made glare, i was busy making mental plans on a housing to make to fit on my desktop... I will have that soon!

I was not really sure about the software side ofthings to get it going but thought that it couldn't be too difficult. And, based on some of the comments in previous threads i was able to navigae through the setup in a few minutes. So, I plugged in teh usb and the device was not recognised (no driver)... thus, using the 4.1 Profiler package, i found the needed USB driver under the GLARE folder.... I installled this driver and so far so good!

Next step was to fire up P3D, then the 4.2 Profiler the JeeHell software... once i had activated the program on the Profiler BAM!!! It was lit up and read exactly as the display on the desktop! Literally in 4 minutes it was up and running!

To be sure gents, this unit is so well made, so precise, so accurate that my whole family were lurking around to watch me fly instead of watching master-chef!!!! The feel is so real! It made the whole flying experience elevated to the next level!

Hands down this is the best peice of kit i have owned for flight sim... Marcin deserves every ounce of praise for his work he gets -then some!

So after a short hop form Auckland to Wellington i was just enjoying the whole thing - and tragically thinking of how i could spend more money with Marcin! LOL!!

So all in all, an investment well worth every cent spent. No regrets. Service second to none. Product the best i have seen.

Top marks Marcin - keep it up, and look forward to the next exciting purchase from you!

OmniAtlas
02-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Some pictures, and if you guys could write up a nice review for the website would be great :)

Vonduck
02-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Omni - is this appropriate or what you are looking for?

Review – Skalarki FCU & EFIS (Capt & FO)

From the initial visit to the Skalarki website (http://www.skalarki-electronics.eu/), the whole process of inquiring, ordering, payment, communication, shipping, delivery was extremely painless and smooth. Almost exactly to the day did my order arrive to New Zealand for the UK. 6 weeks was promised – and 6 weeks it was! Very good start!

There is always that expectation these days when ordering something from overseas that it just may not be what it is advertised to be. I can say categorically that this could not be further from the truth when it comes to Marcin and his business regimen. To clarify, the FCU is up to professional standards and met and exceeded even my critical eye for detail! The attention to detail from the switches, kories, push buttons are replicated faithfully to the original. The feel is exact! What needs tension - has it. What needs soft feel – has it!

The unit is solidly built and made to last. Carefully and painstakingly put together with top notch components, this unit will satisfy even the most hard-core sim enthusiast be they desktop or fixed base sim folk. It is made to fit into a purpose built glare shield which I do not have as yet in these primary stages of my build. Therefore a solution to house it on my desktop was needed. More on that later.

The installing of the unit to interact with the Jeehell software was for the most part easy and straightforward. Downloading the 4.1 SkalarkiIO Profiler was needed as the USB driver was required for the unit to talk to the PC. After installing this, download and use the 4.2 Profiler found on the Skalarki web site. I am unsure why the 4.2 Profiler package does not have the USB drivers contained?

Finally, after starting P3D, the IOProfiler and Jeehell, the FCU came alive and was ready for use instantly. It could not have been easier! Now time to try it in flight.

I realised that the FCU 2D panel had to be opened and minimized. After this, a quick flight confirmed that this was indeed a top class piece of kit. The inputs were direct and instant. The feel was real. The push/pull feel was superb! I have only good things to say about this unit and nothing disappointed me with it.

As you can see form the pictures, my desktop is my sim at the moment. A compromise if you will as still needs to be my work station at home. One day I will get the full set up but until then some adjustments needed to be made. The unit sits on a bookshelf angled up by 2 rubber doorstops. A ‘glare shield’ has been attached to the top to give it a bit of realism in my set up. To house it above the PFD and ND would have been too much at this stage. In time though…

So there you have it, a brief review and for any who are contemplating this unit, it works as advertised and is far and above the quality of my expectations. You will not regret this investment but will indulge every flight with added passion. Having confirmed the wonderful service and supply from Marcin, I will indeed be purchasing more items from him shortly!

The FCU / EFIS = 10/10
Ordering / supply = 10/10
Communication = 10/10
Construction = 10/10
Easy of setup / PC interaction = 10/10

OmniAtlas
02-17-2015, 09:08 PM
Thank you, I will put it up on the site shortly :)

Glad you are enjoying the unit. I haven't made my decision which FCU to purchase yet -- VAS (Virtual Aviation Systems) will be releasing their version soon, and I have just received confirmation from OpenCockpits that they will be producing more Airbus parts this year. Fantastic!

OmniAtlas
02-17-2015, 09:54 PM
Review posted! http://flightsystem.wix.com/airbus#!blog/c9fp

A new blog section has also been setup. Contributors, writers, opinion pieces needed! Please let me know if you would like to share any material.

Regards.

Ben

Geremy Britton
02-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Excellent review, and a credit to Marcin, It's unfortunate that in recent times we don't have more reviews on the forum since I could no longer continue the Builder of the Month due to my own commitments.

Thanks