PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Glass Cockpit Windows

Jerrymc3
02-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Something really frustrating happened today. I'm running the Boeing Glass Cockpit, FMC & pmSystems on 4 monitors connected to the same computer. I had the PFD/ND, Upper & Lower ECIAS, FMC, CDU and Overhead Panel up and running. I left the cockpit for a while and when I came back Windows Update had restarted my computer, shutting down all Windows without CTRL-Q. When I tried to open a GC Window it didn't show up on any screen even though it was on the taskbar. I couldn't do anything with it with the mouse, I tried all sorts of keyboard commands but nothing would make it appear on the desktop. I finally discovered I could use the task manager to maximize the window, then w to move it and some how I managed to shrink the window down really small. Now, I can move the window around the screen with the mouse but dragging the edges to resize it doesn't work. So I'm stuck with this tiny PFD on the screen. I opened the task manager again to see if there was anything I could do with it, I clicked on show processes, and now it won't get out of that. The menu at the top of the Window is gone. Restarted Windows7 but nothing changed. I've done everything I know to do except reinstall PM and maybe even Windows. Any body else have a clue how to fix this?

Jerry

Ray Proudfoot
02-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Jerry,

Something similar has happened to me in the past and the easiest way to solve it was to restore the GC folder and its contents from a backup. The settings are saved in files that are impossible to edit. My advice if you don't have a backup would be to delete the GC folder and reinstall. You then need to use the CTRL + arrow keys to resize the display to your liking.

You might also consider changing Windows updates to inform when available but don't install. That way you have some control.

Once you have things working again make backups so you never get caught out again.

Jerrymc3
02-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Reinstalled and updated GC, CDU & MCP and got everything working. Not sure what caused the glitch. I will definitely stop Windows Auto Update. Thanks Ray.

Jerry

lmaster
02-15-2015, 07:34 AM
Hi all,

If you're using Project Magenta, maybe you know how to solve this:

I've been without using PM for a long time, so I don't know which new build is responsible for this change, the problem is that when aircraft arrives ALT CRZ, it keeps bouncing up and down causing excessives g-forces.

Would it be some kind of config problem, as nobody else is complaining?

Thanks!

Joao

Ray Proudfoot
02-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Jerry. Glad you're up and running again. :)

Joao, Hard to say without more info. What aircraft for a start. Your best bet is to raise a ticket and log it formally. I raised one myself this morning and Enrico seems to prefer that type of communication to email. He doesn't visit this forum of course.

lmaster
02-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Hi Ray, thanks for replying.
The aircraft is the Wilco Airbus 320.

I raised a ticket some days ago, no reply from Project Magenta. Which is something that unfortunately I'm used to...

Jerrymc3
11-19-2015, 08:36 AM
I too have started having a problem with the PM MCP holding the altitude. Climb and descent will hold fairly steady as long as I use VS rather than VNAV but as soon as it levels off the nose starts to oscillate up and down getting worse and worse until it finally crashes due to stress. I’m using the default aircraft-B737/B747 but have tried other aircraft as well so it isn’t any particular flight model. Gets pretty exhausting when I have to hand fly a heavy for a couple of hours. Also, sometimes one or all of my engines will shut down for no apparent reason, on the ground or in flight. Sometimes they will restart, sometimes not and I have to restart FSX. I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem. I've updated my PM software to the latest release. I'm beginning to think the only solution is a reinstall of FSX. I dread that. It takes many hours with all the addons I've accumulated over the years and tweaking.

Jerry

Ray Proudfoot
11-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Hi Jerry,

The default B737 is not very good. As a PM customer you are entitled to use the PM 737-800 which should be available from your download page.

That is the officially sanctioned 737 so should work fine with PM and FSX. From my own experience I have found it over-speeds on descent and even applying full speed brakes doesn't slow it down. But it is fine on climb and cruise.

Regarding engines shutting down that's not something I've encountered with FSX SP2. The ticket system is all can can suggest even though support is not brilliant. Try writing to support at PM. The address should be on the website.

Jerrymc3
11-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks for replying Ray. I think I downloaded the PM B737 but I haven't used it in a while. Can I use my default repaints with the PM 737 or just put the PM aircraft.cfg in my default 737. I built my cockpit based on the B747-400 using a laser machine when my son worked in a sign shop. I decided I really like flying the B737 better, expecially since I prefer short haul flights, 1-2 hours. If I decide to build a 737 I will have to find another way to make panels. Anyway, I will give the PM 737 a try.
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10974&stc=1http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10973&stc=1

Jerry

Ray Proudfoot
11-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Hi Jerry,

That's a lovely setup you have there. :D

I would recommend you install the complete PM738 and if you want to add different repaints edit the aircraft.cfg and include them in additional [flightsim.x] sections. That will ensure you use all the features PM intended.

But you might want to try the default PM737 first just to see if it's an improvement over your existing one.

Saldo
11-20-2015, 03:43 AM
Hi Jerry,

That's a lovely setup you have there. :D

I would recommend you install the complete PM738 and if you want to add different repaints edit the aircraft.cfg and include them in additional [flightsim.x] sections. That will ensure you use all the features PM intended.

But you might want to try the default PM737 first just to see if it's an improvement over your existing one.

The PM 737-800 flight model is not very good.
instead of gliding down with idle throttles at descent it keeps them at 50-60%.
workaround : disable AT --- manually pull throttles to idle --- re-engage AT

When descending the speeds increases instead of being stable and one has to use the speedbrake almost the whole descent.

An autoland will not work correctly : after capturing the GS the PM AP and default 737 AP then interfear with eachother , even with the CDU set to PM AP.
Result : bouncing up/down and speed to high. No normal autoland possible .
AT at GS makes the approach better but still it is difficult to maintain lower speeds.

Four years ago a new build solved this but the issue re-appeared with newer builds,

Twenty days ago I posted to tickets and also sent an email to PM. Never had any answer.

So I started working on the issues myself. I compared the airfiles and aircraft.cfg files from the default 737 , the PM 737 and the Ifly 737.
After days of testing I cam up with a flightmodel that descents way better and what is capable of following the glideslope very good ( manual thrust at low speed, no Autoland ).

If you want to try sent me a pm and I will sent you a dl link from WeTransfer.

Regards,
Gerard