PDA

View Full Version : CPDLC plugin (ACARS)

OmniAtlas
10-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Stumbled upon this -- http://www.dalpi.de/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=82

Anyone successfully using this with their Jeehell FMGS build?

Regards.

stefangr
10-08-2014, 02:13 AM
Hi OmniAtlas,

yes, I do. It's a great tool. I am not using the ATC functions but all the rest, especially the ACARS + printing functionality. Wouldn't miss it any more. And Chris is giving great support.

Stefan

OmniAtlas
10-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi Stephen, any idea where I can find airports.dat, wpnavaid.txt, and wpnavfix.txt? Apparently these need to be copied over from your navdata provider (I am using aerosoft) but I am unable to find the files.

Thanks.

stefangr
10-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Hi Stephen, any idea where I can find airports.dat, wpnavaid.txt, and wpnavfix.txt? Apparently these need to be copied over from your navdata provider (I am using aerosoft) but I am unable to find the files.

Thanks.

Hi Omni,

these files are still used from the old navdata procedure - where JL also used the Level-D-767 navdata. If you download and install these Level-D navdata, you should find the 4 files. I am not updating them right now because I am not using the ATC functionality.

Stefan

OmniAtlas
10-08-2014, 10:09 AM
The Level-D navdata is from navigraph and not aerosoft?

Are there any ATC on vatsim which use this system? I am hoping it will be useful during World Flight 2014.

On the server.ini shoudl I remove the colon from the line --

;0=VATSIM 1=IVAO

What function does this do?

Thank you.

stefangr
10-08-2014, 10:29 AM
During the time when I still used the LevelD data, I had a subscription at Navigraph. I switched over to Aerosoft once JL moved to Aersosoft, so I have not updated CPDLC navdata since then. But I am assuming the LevelD result files should be the same from Navigraph and Aerosoft.

I don't know how this text mode of ATC is already used at VATSIM. I am not flying online, so you better should ask Chris directly.

Currently I do not have the whole server.ini at hand (still at work); I think this area controls from where the ATIS information is fetched. What are the line(s) below and above? Maybe the context of the INI file explains it. You should not remove the colon from this line as this is only a comment line. The line above or below actually controls this area (something like ATIS=1 would fetch the data from IVAO, so you might need to set it to 0 in the other line to make it work with VATSIM).

Stefan

OmniAtlas
10-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Ah thansk Stefan, Aerosoft doesn't use this format :-\

I've left ATIS=0 (vatsim), and tested the weather function with my printer -- works!
Which 'thermal' printer would you recommend (Skalarki might also have some panels to overlay the mini-printer?)

Do you happen to understand these lines in the config file?

ACRegistr=
ALIdent2=
ALIdent3=

I understand ACRegistr would be your aircraft registration number, but what are ALIdent2 and ALIdent3 used for?

Cheers

stefangr
10-08-2014, 12:08 PM
I think the weather does not come from IVAO or VATSIM, but not too sure. You should request an ATIS to check if that is coming from AVSIM. If an ATIS is available for the requested station, you will get a company message. Weather reports are always printed immediately.

I am using EPSON TM-T20 as printer which I am very happy with. Currently it's standing beside the pedestal but it's not really big. Maybe later I will integrate it in the right lower part of the pedestal.

You need to register yourself on some COM INIT page where these 3 values need to be entered. If they are always the same you can skip entering them before each flight and just maintain them on the server.ini file. On startup of the CPDLC software they are loaded automatically from the INI file.

AL means airline, ALIdent2 is for the IATA code, and ALIdent3 for ICAO code of the airline (e.g. LH and DLH for Lufthansa). I have built a small routine which fills the server.ini automatically before each flight according to the planned flight and selected livery.

Also very nice is the Journey Log function within this software: Block and air times are automatically recorded. You can send them also to Chris' server and see an online table of your flights. You should check with him as you need a user ID and a password for sending this data, there is currently no online registration yet, all still in Beta. These credentials can also be entered in the server.ini.

Stefan

OmniAtlas
10-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanks Stefan,

I can't request to ATIS because there never seems to be any ATC logged into the system? I have been checking on http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/system/log.html

I will experiment further. Regards.

PS -- found this post -- http://www.vier-im-pott.com/index.php/en/blog/23-pedestal/16519-pedestal-data-printer

stefangr
10-09-2014, 03:12 AM
Hi,

the ATIS has nothing to do with ATC being logged on to Hoppie Acars Network. ATIS is coming from VATSIM or IVAO directly. If you can check which ATIS are available at VATSIM right now, you can try one of those. I just checked with NZAA which is online right now and I got an up to date ATIS delivered.

After any ATIS request you may want to look into the CPDLC server folder for the latest file there beginning with atis_. Open this file and check for "_ATIS:" to find all the available ATIS stations for the moment.

In fact, the real ATC function is not fully used yet by the online ATC organisations. I think this makes it difficult to use the ATC text version on a regular basis. This might be different for special events, but I don't know exactly. You need to ask Chris, he is flying on VATSIM as well. I know that he tried to organize some text ATC on VATSIM when he was on the Paderborn fair with his cockpit last year.

Stefan

stefangr
10-09-2014, 03:30 AM
BTW, I have just installed Aerosoft's navdata for Level-D (the FS9 version, but I assume it's the same for FSX), you just need to name the folder under FS9\Level D Simulations (even if you don't have this A/C installed), and the installation of the cycle works fine. I have also copied the 4 necessary files to the CPDLC folder, and after a restart of CPDLC software the navdata is shown as "green" there. So it works.

Stefan

OmniAtlas
10-09-2014, 05:06 AM
Thanks Stefan, will try reinstalling navdata data for 'Level-D'.

ATIS works! This is awesome integration with VATSIM/IVAO.

Very strange though, I can only request the ATIS station once -- if you try to poll it again I do not get a message update with new ATIS information.

stefangr
10-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Very strange though, I can only request the ATIS station once -- if you try to poll it again I do not get a message update with new ATIS information.

That means you do not get any new company message or you get the same as before?

OmniAtlas
10-09-2014, 08:56 AM
I do not get a new company message on the ECAM. Does it only flag up if there are changes to ATIS?

stefangr
10-09-2014, 09:11 AM
No, it should light up again. The system does not check if the current ATIS is different than the one requested before. Maybe the station went offline in between? Have you tested differerent stations and have all the same behaviour? You also need to flip through all pages of the ATIS when reading in order to make the "company message" extinguish.

Stefan

asessa
10-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Great plugin...but which hardware can we buy for this ?

stefangr
10-09-2014, 09:45 AM
How about this:
http://www.cockpit-concept.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=46&language=en

Chris will also be in Lelystad this year.

Stefan

asessa
10-09-2014, 10:07 AM
How about this:
http://www.cockpit-concept.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=46&language=en

Chris will also be in Lelystad this year.

Stefan

Thanks a lot :D

stefangr
10-09-2014, 02:02 PM
No, it should light up again. The system does not check if the current ATIS is different than the one requested before. Maybe the station went offline in between? Have you tested differerent stations and have all the same behaviour? You also need to flip through all pages of the ATIS when reading in order to make the "company message" extinguish.

Stefan

Have just checked this on today's flight, and it's working as expected. The company message light comes up as soon as an ATIS message was delivered, also if I requested the same station 1 minute before.

Stefan

OmniAtlas
10-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Okay, thanks Stefan, i will try again once. Must be my setup. Very strange. :P

OmniAtlas
12-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Anyone having issues getting the ATIS function to work in the latest in the latest beta?

I can't get any weather updates now for some reason.

OmniAtlas
03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Hello, I can confirm that polling VATSIM ATIS (which are live) does not work.

Polling IVAO is working and I can receive ATIS messages from the AOC menu.

Has there been a change of coding?

OmniAtlas
03-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Discussed with Chris, and there was a bug. Polling of Vatsim ATIS stations are now possible with the latest release version, B13.

tuomasho
03-18-2017, 06:26 PM
Hi guys!

I have Skalarki's hardware and using Jeehell's FMGS. Is there any possibility to print weather reports from MCDU with this program? I am using Activesky16 and Proatc, so is there any possibility to connect it to my systems?

If not, do you know any solution for my purposes?

OmniAtlas
03-18-2017, 09:49 PM
I don't think you can use Active Sky next weather. The plugin takes thenweather report from either Vatsim or IVAO.

You can print weather - you just need to set it up in your config file. Chris has a tutorial video on his website.