PDA

View Full Version : 2 Lancaster Bombers AND 2 Spitfires Landed At My Work! Wow!

No Longer Active
08-18-2014, 06:37 AM
Its not everyday (nor any year in fact, anywhere) that 2 Lancaster Bombers and 2 Spitfires Land at work! I work for Southend Airport (handling Easyjet) and these iconic WW2 aircraft landed and took off. Luckily for me our dispatcher gave us lift to the end of the apron to watch the final power checks before takeoff. Here are some pics from our VIP lounge.

No Longer Active
08-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Here is another pic of the Lancaster Bomber at taxiway Alpha doing final power checks before takeoff.

Westozy
08-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Great pics Alex!!

No Longer Active
08-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks Gwyn, theres not many perks of my job at the airport but moments like these truly make up for it.

Geremy Britton
08-22-2014, 09:34 AM
KC-A is the UK's only airworthy Avro Lancaster Bomber, VR-A is the Canadian airworthy lancaster bomber example. This pair form the only two remaining airworthy lancaster bombers in the world.

I paid tribute at a special event this week which saw these two aircraft take off from RAF Waddington, followed by the Avro successor the Vulcan Bomber, which is the only remaining of it's type still in the skies and will fly until next year when engine life will regrettably come to an end. If you have not seen the vulcan fly it's a great experience and it was a privilege to witness a formation takeoff and flypast from two Lancasters and a Vulcan which will never happen again.

(Note: The Vulcan is also the only remaining all British 4 engined aircraft still in the air)

Thanks for the photos Alex.

No Longer Active
09-05-2014, 05:32 AM
Thanks Gez.

There is more information and great photo of the 2 Lancasters and our 'Ground Worthy Only' Vulcan on our airports website:

http://www.southendairport.com/news/side-by-side-for-the-first-and-probably-last-time-the-last-two-airworthy-world-war-ii-lancaster-bombers-plus-a-vulcan/

Cheers