PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions from newbie about software

Vonduck
07-02-2014, 01:23 AM
Hi guys,

Very new here so forgive my ignorance .... the journey begins with the cockpit dream for the Airbus... I have serached and read heaps but still need to ask the following...

To start with, could i ask some simple questions...

The Jeehell software which i have downloaded, can i install that on my PC as is and use it virtually (no hardware at present) and the suggested flight model from the airbus suggested?

My setup is 2 x 27" monitors linked together via a splitter and 2 x 18" monitors below them for gauges and such...

I am wanting to see if the software works and i can use the undocked gauges on the bottom 2 screens and have the top 2 screens as "scenery only" view...

I realize my VRInsight FCU is not compatible so wont use that...

I have plans to eventually get a full scale MIP and position the gauges behind it at some stage and the proper hardware...

Can all of this be done with one PC or do i need an additional PC to run things? My setup is i7 4.6Ghz...so should be powerful enough?

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated as i get started!

Thanks guys

Doug

OmniAtlas
07-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Yes you can Doug, a lot of us are doing that and slowly building our cockpit :)

See this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FADQ1fZjLjg

You can launch the gauges, ND, PFD, etc and arrange them around as you wish.

Vonduck
07-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks for that... and the video, most interesting...

Next on my mind as my good wife gave me the go ahead with this and some dosh (yay!) is WHICH is the better hardware that is most user friendly to go with the software? I checked out Skalarki which seems to be most favored and easy to plug and play, then cockpit sonic hardware which is cheaper but am not sure if it requires electrical know how to install...

In your experience, what seems to be the better option?

Cheers once again!

Doug

OmniAtlas
07-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Skalarki.

I have heard the support from cockpit sonic isn't so good (search this forum for some discussions).

You might also look at flybycockpit - http://www.flybycockpits.com/

I have a sidestick on order from Vitor. Although I have not received the items yet, they look top quality.

Vonduck
07-03-2014, 12:39 AM
Great - thanks for that

I took a look over at the Skalarki web page and there seems to be some good parts which are 'plug and play' USB units... nice and simple...

As i wont be able to afford them all at once, if i just got the FCU, EFIS, MCDU....and use the Jeehells software for the gauges etc...how do you control the flaps and overhead etc? Do i need another monitor to show these things? Just a bit confused before i pull the money trigger!

Cheers

Doug

OmniAtlas
07-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Great - thanks for that

I took a look over at the Skalarki web page and there seems to be some good parts which are 'plug and play' USB units... nice and simple...

As i wont be able to afford them all at once, if i just got the FCU, EFIS, MCDU....and use the Jeehells software for the gauges etc...how do you control the flaps and overhead etc? Do i need another monitor to show these things? Just a bit confused before i pull the money trigger!

Cheers

Doug

Skalarki has has other plug and play components not listed on their website. For example their whole MIP is PNP (brake panels, gear, etc) so you don't need to buy a separate I/O board.

For the overhead you can use the supplied 2d panel in the jeehell suite.
Flaps can be assigned to any joystick button using the flaps increment/decrease joystick configuration or an axis.

SSO
07-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Hi,

I am also slowly developing my setup.
I have come to the following conclusion:
- At least two PC's
-- One for FS and Gauges you dont interact with (switching active application away from FS will mute FS and that is a disturbing factor in terms of realism)
-- One for the rest.
Will you fly online?
I also started purchasing PnP boards but there is lots of money to be saved by assembling yourself. I thought time was most important, but buying piece by piece is really not stretching your budget as far as it can go.
I have bought:
- Stick and throttle: Thrustmaster Hotas A10
- Radio module (RMP) - Cockpit Sonic - works as it should with JL.
- FCU (Skalarki) - Arrives tomorrow or early next week after 12 weeks delivery time.
A brief video of my setup (pre FCU):
http://youtu.be/Tv_-2GvZW40

I find the OH projector gives tremendous immersion into the flight experience.

Good luck :-)

Vonduck
07-03-2014, 02:48 AM
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for chipping in.... a couple questions in my journey if i may...

The thought of 2 PC's i must admit scares me... i have not the foggiest how to link them together to achieve one for instruments and one for P3D.. any ideas? Where to look? I have one powerful PC at the moment but could easily assemble a lesser version if need be?

I do fly online on Vatsim which is the ultimate goal...

Where do you get the PnP boards form and is it hard to assembly and connect them? I am not much of an electronic whizz sadly so this i must admit scares me too! The cost factor is welcomed and i like the suggestion but doubt my ability to pull it off ...

I am very interested in the OH projector... does this give you a wrap around effect or a massive in fornt image? The immersion sounds ideal though... life size!

I enjoyed the YouTube clip - thanks for sharing and would be interested in you comment on the FCU when it arrives and how it operates...

What Airbus do you use when flying?

Thanks Stephen

OmniAtlas
07-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Hi Doug,

Its no problem flying on Vatsim, I am doing it as we speak (search for Ben Lim on vatstats.net for all my jeehell A320 flights :)

Setting up on a network is also no problem -- it is done with WideFMGS which is in the FMGS\WideFMGS\ directory. You have to make sure your computer is on the same ipaddress (not dynamic); so set it up with a permanent number so WideFMGS does not get confused.

I also recommend the projector, here is my currently flight :)

OmniAtlas
07-03-2014, 07:52 AM
P.S -- you will need at least 2x projectors for a wraparound screen. I am using the BenQ W1080ST which is great because it is short-throw (which you need), and affordable.

SSO
07-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for chipping in.... a couple questions in my journey if i may...

The thought of 2 PC's i must admit scares me... i have not the foggiest how to link them together to achieve one for instruments and one for P3D.. any ideas? Where to look? I have one powerful PC at the moment but could easily assemble a lesser version if need be?
The connection between two PCs for FMGS is VERY simple. That is the easy part. I am having an issue with offloading VATSIMs new client to my laptop for P3D, but Im sure I will manage when I put some time aside for it.

I do fly online on Vatsim which is the ultimate goal...

Where do you get the PnP boards form and is it hard to assembly and connect them? I am not much of an electronic whizz sadly so this i must admit scares me too! The cost factor is welcomed and i like the suggestion but doubt my ability to pull it off ...
Until now I have only purchased the two panels, but talked with a number of people so I am sure the DIY solution with todays interface boards is manageble. You need to decide if you will do the solding of the panels yourself or not. I see that when you purchase panels separately with each their own USB PnP interface - THAT is where things become expensive.

I am very interested in the OH projector... does this give you a wrap around effect or a massive in fornt image? The immersion sounds ideal though... life size!
I have one front facing OH projector projecting an image of 100". Sitting 115 cm away it generates 85 deg wide screen, which is very nice. Of course a warp around would be better, but space (am in an appartment) and budget permitting this works, and has a low enough WAF factor.

I enjoyed the YouTube clip - thanks for sharing and would be interested in you comment on the FCU when it arrives and how it operates...Sure will

What Airbus do you use when flying?
I use the stock A320-214. Have previously flown the A321 alot but decided I want to learn Jean Lucs setup in depth.J Just spent my holiday READING the FCOM volume 1, 2, 3, 4 and a couple of instructor documents from Airbus I found online.

Thanks Stephen
Any time Doug :-)
Hi Responses above in Bold.

/Stephen

SSO
07-03-2014, 11:39 AM
A couple of additions top down points:
- Your sim will develop over a looong time.
- Therefore KEEP IT FLYABLE
- Your idea of where to develop the sim WILL change along the way
- IT will most probably always be a compromise (time, space)
- There are no overly complex issues by them selves.
- There are however a LARGE number of items that has to work together. (new versions of software, new panels, Weather, VATSIM, Flight planning, Scenery, textures and Windows)
- Decide early what is most important for you to fly (one aircraft as A320, or a large variity of aircraft). This will influence your panel setup and purchase. I would love to fly the Phenom 100 and the Twin Otter, as well as the A2A Cherokee, but for now I decided to focus on the A320-214 with JH package.
- I find the proportions are important for my realism and this I get right with my setup. An example of this is the outside view and judging distances and angles. A lot of people post videos with very wide views which are skewed and where the proportions (in my view) makes precise flying difficult. (Eg. If you fly with a Field of View (FoV) of the double of what you actually have just to have a virtual cockpit, then a pitch change of 1 deg, will only result in a view pitch change of 0.5 deg.)

THAT was just my personal advice, and others may differ ;-)

OmniAtlas
07-03-2014, 11:46 AM
What zoom factor do you use Stephen? I am on 1.0x, and this works well when trying to land.

Jerec
07-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Hey everybody,

yes it works perfectly with Skalarki. I have a complete setup from him except selfmade Wrapscreen:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28025

Regards Henrik

SSO
07-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I dont use zoom factors. I have set up my FoV precisely. As my projector is tilted and corrected via Keystone, I needed to adjust the FoV separately for Hoz and Vert. with my eye-to-screen distance I have a 85 deg H view.

OmniAtlas
07-03-2014, 08:34 PM
I dont use zoom factors. I have set up my FoV precisely. As my projector is tilted and corrected via Keystone, I needed to adjust the FoV separately for Hoz and Vert. with my eye-to-screen distance I have a 85 deg H view.

P3D/FSX has a default zoom setting -- 1.0? If you use your +/- key it tells you what it is regardless of your vertical and horizontal size.

SSO
07-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Yeah, it just doesnt make a whole lot of sense, as the FOV is more precisely set through the aircraft.cfg and is separate for Hoz and Vert.
It shows as 0.63. :-)

Vonduck
07-14-2014, 02:42 AM
Hi guys,

Been making progress as are now getting my MIP custom made (to scale) by the panel shop not far form here... should save a pretty penny!

I have been following some threads and i know Skalarki is mentioned as the hardware to get but i have been looking at a thread that seems to indicate Cockpitsonic also works ok with revised drivers etc...

Reason i mention this is the cost... Skalarki for the FCU and 2 x EFIS is $1649.00NZD and cockpitsonic is $775.00NZD for the same thing...

Some things are cheaper from Skalarki like the MCDU, Gear lever and Glarewings...

Is cockpitsonic THAT bad or is it just unreliable service? Also, can we mix and match hardware or will this cause unnecessary issues?

Just trying to keep costs down as best as i can :)

Thanks guys

Doug

SSO
07-14-2014, 03:19 AM
Hi guys,

Been making progress as are now getting my MIP custom made (to scale) by the panel shop not far form here... should save a pretty penny!

I have been following some threads and i know Skalarki is mentioned as the hardware to get but i have been looking at a thread that seems to indicate Cockpitsonic also works ok with revised drivers etc...

Reason i mention this is the cost... Skalarki for the FCU and 2 x EFIS is $1649.00NZD and cockpitsonic is $775.00NZD for the same thing...

Some things are cheaper from Skalarki like the MCDU, Gear lever and Glarewings...

Is cockpitsonic THAT bad or is it just unreliable service? Also, can we mix and match hardware or will this cause unnecessary issues?

Thanks guys

Doug
I now have the following two modules:
- CockpitSonic RMP
- Skalarki FCU+CPT EFIS

No doubt that the Skalarki feels much better. Its actually a GREAT quality and feel to it. I am very impressed already before connecting it...
The buttons of the CockpitSonic are sort of minisliding in their seating (its the actual push button, not their build), which gives it a cheaper feel. But it does the job it was made to do, and the Radio works fine with FMGS and the Project Airbus as well as VATSIM.

/Stephen

OmniAtlas
07-14-2014, 03:54 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks guys

Doug

Not too sure where you got that price for cockpitsonic from -- http://cockpitsonic.org/shop/fcu-usb/

Which plans are you using to build the panels?

Vonduck
07-14-2014, 06:01 AM
...So the FCU panel on its own at 236.46 Euro (http://cockpitsonic.org/shop/fcu-panel/) .... and the EFIS x 2 (http://cockpitsonic.org/shop/a320-first-officer-efis/) ...

Are these units NOT plug and play? Some setup involved which makes them cheaper? If not then the Skalarki one is the better option eh!

The plans i used are attached...

Vonduck
07-14-2014, 06:32 AM
93469347 Theses are the plans i found and used them for the MIP

iwik
07-14-2014, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=OmniAtlas;150594]Not too sure where you got that price for cockpitsonic from -- http://cockpitsonic.org/shop/fcu-usb/

This price includes more than the FCU.
Les

OmniAtlas
07-15-2014, 05:20 AM
93469347 Theses are the plans i found and used them for the MIP

Links are invalid?

I like skalarki stuff, but just like all the vendors out there -- no glareshield!

I would like to purchase a glareshield that will fit the FCU+EFIS correctly, and perfectly from Skalarki.

Vonduck
07-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Hmmm

Try these....9354 and 9355

OmniAtlas
07-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Ah thanks, I'll be planning to buy buy MIP from skalarki instead...but how about the MIP frame and glareshield? Have you decided how you would build that?

Regards,

Ben

Vonduck
07-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Indeed Ben, i will attache the pics shortly when i get back.. there are plans for that too..

Cheers

Doug

PS - here is the link for the dimensions i will use on this site... it is in French but Google translate does the job!

http://www.simu320.fr/1-menuiserie.htm