PDA

View Full Version : Adapting a real A6 Intruder Quadrant

binty
06-06-2014, 12:13 AM
I have an A6 Intruder Throttle Quadrant complete with 54pin Canon plug.

Im new to this stuff and need some guidance as to how to adapt it to work as a HOTAS in SIMs.

what / how do I begin make an interface? Any help would be super!

Westozy
06-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi binty, I believe your best option would be to buy a BU0836X card from here - http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180 You can connect up to 8 potentiometer and 32 switches, this will cover your quad. I use these cards with Leo Bodnar's permission in all of my PnP products. Buy some decent linear 10kohm potentiometers, (not the slide type, they are susceptible to dust and become noisy).Attach the pots to your levers with gearing if you can and try to maximize the rotation of the pots. I usually aim for about 270 degrees of rotaion. You could get that quad working quite easily with this method! Cheers Gwyn (Westozy)

binty
06-11-2014, 12:29 AM
Thanks very much Westozy. I presume the Bodnar board you list works with the Pots hooked up to to the x,y etc axis 'ports' on the card ? I havent had any potientiometer experience before... Does the 5V input come from the USB link?

Unfortunately I cant see how to rig a Pot directly to the Throttles rotational axis/pivot so I will have to arrange some form of linkage or gears as you suggest.

I have mapped out all the buttons on the quadrant canon pins now. I assume I simply attach each controls wire to the Cards Numbered port and its corresponding GND.?

Seems too easy... Im excited to think I may be able to actually get this working! If it all goes to plan I will add a collective control to the same card for Heli stuff. Woohoo

Westozy
06-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Hi Binty, all you assume is correct! No power supply is required for the Bodnar card and it has simple little buttons for hook up - no soldering but you will have to solder three wires to the pots. It will simply show up in Windows as a game controller where you can calibrate it, or you can disable it as a game controller and calibrate it via FSUIPC (recommended). Some of the axis on the card are labelled X,Y,Z, Rot, but each can be reassigned to whatever! Correct on the wiring - the ground inputs on the card are common and you will just need a a single wire to the card. Each button wire connects to a numbered switch input. It really is easy as that!!

Cheers Gwyn

iwik
06-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Binty,
As you said you have no experience with Pots. Just make sure you identify the wiper and its connected to the input
of the board .
Les.

binty
06-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Thanks Guys.
Jaycar Electronics is my most 'local' supplier. They list some slide type POTs and these: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=RP7610&w=potentiometer&form=KEYWORD

Am i on the right track?

binty
06-14-2014, 06:12 AM
I looked at the various Bodnar cards and can see this one is quite a bit cheaper... http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=204&zenid=af39c04840692e53b54dc6778723d69f

Im interested to know how to connect 32 buttons when there is only 6 pin colums??

iwik
06-15-2014, 05:10 AM
Binty,
That controller requires what we call a diode matrix to enable 32 buttons. As it stands it will only do 12.
So you would have to add the matrix and connectors and so will start to add up. So for a beginner the
more expensive one is what I would recommend.
Have a look at this link to see what is required to make it useble for 32 buttons.
http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836/

Les

Avro748
06-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, are you planning a full A6 Cockpit?

binty
06-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, are you planning a full A6 Cockpit?

**** no... Have you ever seen a real A6 cockpit? That would be a BIG undertaking and iv got more than enough projects to finish already including finishing restoring our familys Piper Cub! I bought the A6 quadrant on ebay for next to nothing and when it arrived I couldnt bring myself to give it to the kids as it was in full working order. With easy access to all the switching, I figured it would make an excellent Hotas if I learned how. Thanks to all you guys, Im now on the way. Cheers

Avro748
06-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Yikes! That looks like a difficult one.

Once you start flying with authentic looking parts, however, you might get kinda greedy for more immersion. That's often what happens to builders without them realizing it.

Westozy
06-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Stick to the BU0836X, don't bother with the matrix card! You will use all 32 inputs for sure when the building bug bites you and it will lol!!!
Cheers Gwyn

binty
06-15-2014, 09:26 PM
OK I will go for the BU0836X. They are not replying to my enquiries.. is their shipping cost/time OK? (Im in New Zealand)

yes... i can see this stuff can be addictive! especicially to a builder kind of guy like me. Im going to have to be careful... :-)