PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me the difference please.

No Longer Active
06-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Hi

I need to purchase a 6 position rotary switch for my generic EFIS controller that I am building but I am confused between the 2 types of switch.

What is the difference between make before break switches and break before make?

Based on this answer which type of switch is required for an EFIS selector switch?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Alex

jonesthesoftware
06-04-2014, 07:49 AM
It's all about how the contacts are switched as you rotate the shaft/knob. Use break before make as it opens the one contact before closing the next contact. This ensures that you don't have 2 inputs of the same switch on at the same time which could confuse your software. Other thing to think about with rotary switches is the number of channels of that switch e.g 12 way rotary can be purchased as 1 common x12 positions or 2x6 or 3 x4. The most useful for cockpits is 1x12 where each click can be used as a separate input whereas 3x4 can only be used as 4 separate inputs but 3 channels are made simultaneously. Hope I haven't confused with that explanation.
regards
geoff

No Longer Active
06-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks for your explanation, it makes sense now. I was just trying to work out what physically happens during switching of the 2 types. Again thanks for your help much appreciated.

Alex

Bernie
06-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi Alex,

Just one other important thing to remember is the degree between positions. Either 30 Degrees or 45 Degrees depending on what type of panel you use. Some companies sell panels with either angle.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

No Longer Active
06-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Hi Alex,

Just one other important thing to remember is the degree between positions. Either 30 Degrees or 45 Degrees depending on what type of panel you use. Some companies sell panels with either angle.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Thanks for that. Yes I will remember that and bear in mind when purchasing. Thanks. Alex