PDA

View Full Version : Static electricity problems

NedHamilton
02-01-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm having static electricity problems. My full size sim has metal j-rails metal frame, metal pedestal, MIP, overhead, 5 computers etc. Occasionally when I touch any metal part and there is a discharge, I have an issue with one of the PCs USB connections or with FSX itself changing some setting.

I am considering connecting all of the metal parts together electrically with alligator clips. I believe the PC's chasis should be electrically connected to the power neutral and thus grounded.

Has anyone had similar problems with static electricity and found a solution?

anijan
02-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Hello Ned,

Yes, I did experience the same kind of strange behaviour with USB ports. It even did cost me half of the inputs of a Leo Bodnar BU0386X. The solution I found is very simple: once or twice a year I lightly spray the chairs in the sim with fabric softener (hope I translated it right), normally used to add to the washing machine. Sounds silly, but it works perfectly, no more sparks.

Jan

blueskydriver
02-03-2014, 02:55 PM
I did exactly what you suggested, hard wired all the metal items to an electrical ground portion of power outlet...no more static problems!

John

NedHamilton
02-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Jan and John, Good suggestions. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Matti V
04-19-2014, 02:56 AM
all metal frames and cover need connect same ground then elektrician potential have same and go to ground.