PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

Jerrymc3
01-06-2014, 04:13 PM
I accidentally plugged 5V into my USB expansion card instead of the mastercard and I could have sworn I smelled something burning. Is it possible I could have damaged something? Some of my inputs are not working now.

Jerry

gspannelljr
03-03-2014, 07:28 PM
I doubt you hurt it. I am new to using OC cards as well. I thought I need a 5v supply for all the cards and discovered I don't need one at all. The 5v is supplied by the usb circuit. I am using a usb card and master with no externa power supply. they communicate jut fine. Prior to realzing that, I had connected a 5v to my usb card as well, it still works fine. I suspect something else happened? I hope!!!

Jerrymc3
03-03-2014, 11:12 PM
I got the expansion card working. For some reason my ASUS Z77 Pro board refused to recognize my IOCARDS. I swapped it for an ASROCK Z87 Extreme4 and it recognized it right away. You probably don't need 5v to the mastercard unless you are connecting leds or 7 segment displays. Mine don't light up without the 5v.

Jerry

kiek
03-04-2014, 06:40 AM
I thought I need a 5v supply for all the cards and discovered I don't need one at all. The 5v is supplied by the usb circuit.That's only true if you have just a few switches connected. As soon as you add leds and digits you definitely need a 5V supply....Nico

gspannelljr
03-04-2014, 08:27 AM
gotta love forums, so much to learn! Thanks!

BuildABoeing
03-04-2014, 02:55 PM
But (something I always wondered) it is possible to fry the OpenCockpits cards be connecting the 5V the wrong way?

gspannelljr
03-04-2014, 04:35 PM
certainly, if you got the polarity wrong, oops is right! You might let some smoke out. Just pack the smoke back in and it will work just fine!! LOL!!!
Sorry to hear I that what you did though......