PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Leo Bodnars BU0836X?

Boeing737NGCockpit
11-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Hey guys,
Currently in the process of bringing the materials together for my pedestal and it appears that Leo Bodnar no longer stocks or sells his interface boards. I am currently after an alternative card to use with rotary encoders to drive comm/nav panels etc. Ideally I want to control through the FSUIPC module as a key press to the PMDG737NGX. I had a look at the Desktop Aviator rotary encoder boards however people have reported problems with responsiveness and reliability of the turning of the encoders. As I see it my options are the Desktop Aviator 2090 (which people have reported problems with), coding SIOC through the open cockpits cards of which I have a basic understanding (writing to LEDs, Displays etc), acquiring a BU0836X which people are willing to sell or any other ideas which the community might have in interfacing encoders to the software.
I would greatly appreciate any input which the community might have.
Regards
Boeing737NGCockpit

Brodhaq
11-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Try googling Mjoy 16 device - a simple PCB with small Atmega which has 64 buttons, 8 potentiometers and 4 encoders and acts as a generic joystick in Windows... Pretty cheap and easy to build.

Pavel

Avro748
11-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Bodnar still seems to have the BBI32 in stock. It's just like the 836X but without potentiometer support.

Boeing737NGCockpit
11-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the replies guys :) Unfortunately I need 16 rotary inputs so the mjoy won't suit the job. I wasn't aware of the other Bodnar boards he did have in stock and this looks like a viable option :). Apparently the 2090 works fine as long as you use the right encoders and configure the software correctly so I'll have to compare the 2090 and BBI32 and come to a decision. Thanks for the pointers guys :)