PDA

View Full Version : BAe146 visuals

mach7
09-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Here is my visual setup using (at present) 4 24inch led monitors driven by HP dc7800 client computers. The visuals have been set to 'ultra-high' and there is no stuttering...or loss of any framerates (of course the standard fs9 visuals are not that intense).

I want to add another 2 screens...and some tweaking has to be done..but overall i am quite happy with the setup so far.

(I actually got a bit dizzy on the first flight)

The forward client computer has REX real environment installed...i like the product...but as per my other thread it appears that you have to purchase a separate copy for each computer...and i am not about to do that, so it will have to be uninstalled.

dodiano
09-12-2013, 09:16 PM
That is a Real Beauty!! Congratulations!!

Brodhaq
09-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Very impressive. Each display has own computer, or there are two displays per computer? I agree that the more computers you run the more FPS you get, but I am a little scared of keeping 4 - 5 copies of FS runing (ie installing scenery for all of them, keeping weather synchronized,...)

Pavel

mach7
09-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Pavel,

I hear what you are saying...and I will not lie that it does take some time to boot all the computers up and get them running and sync'd up in Wideview mode (I have a dedicated PC for each view). But one thing for sure there have been no issues or hassles with WideView whatsoever...it works all the time anytime! A great product for sure!

Since the last post I have added another PC+view..so now I have 5 views.

Everytime I 'boot' the visual system up I find a shortcut...for example i just use one keyboard and one mouse and just insert them into the computer i am configuring at the time.

One thing for sure...it has convinced me that I will not be able to support projectors in my project...believe it or not there is a substantial amount of heat generated by these computers (6 PCs in all)...and I think the upgrade to projectors would be prohibitive..heat wise.

I am also very impressed with the visuals representation from these business dc7800 units that I purchased off eBay for a song. I have them all set to 'ultra res' and there is no stuttering or loss in frame rates..i even have REX installed on the forward view and it works great!

Taxiing around you get a bit dizzy though...otherwise no other ill health effects:)

Brodhaq
09-13-2013, 12:48 PM
About the heat: in our university we have one high-performance PC feeding 3 DLP projectors via one graphic card in a room about 5 x 4 meters which is about 4 meters high and as you might expect, after 2 or 3 hours of flying the air inside is quite hot and we have to open doors to survive :-D

The truth is that with i5 CPU we are at about 20 FPS in FSX with default Beech Baron at any weather (but we have mechanical gauges thus no 3D cockpit is rendered), but our details are somewhat decreased, to about medium (all sliders). And we are using some low-res cloud textures there and I guess this is the limit. 3 displays of 720p are ok on modern PC, but more would be killing the machine.

In our DC9 we will also need some monitors to put behind the eyebrows windows and this I think will be solved by two displays per PC - there will be not high scenery details required in overhead monitors...

Pavel

dodiano
09-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Have you considered Matrox Tripleheads? I think you could kill at least 3 computers using that at least for your Gauges should do the Trick!! I have an I7 using a 128 GB SSD an EVGA 2GB Video Card and 16GB of Ram and of course a water cooling system for it and well Level D can be runned using the complete MIP onto 1 Matrox Triple head and another matrox to the same Video Card for the Outside Displays 3 Screens and works a real Beauty!

mach7
09-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Hello dodiano,

yes I did consider TH2go...but was not impressed with the frame rates, limitation in screen size (unless you use a projector) and in actuality it does not give you the FOV that WideView gives you.

The Matrox unit will give you one wide forward view so you do not have a choice of a side or left & right views.

My flight instrument panels operate off the main server computer, as does the mechanical engine gauges (SIOC) flaps etc. When V1-Avionics gets up to speed, I will be replacing these monitors with actual operational instrumentation.

Henju
10-02-2013, 05:55 PM
That's a very nice pit... love all the Gauges