PDA

View Full Version : Real bendix King display

Jetprovost
08-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Has anyone interfaced a real Bendix King Comm/Nav gas exchange display in their sim? I know it needs a lot of voltage to light up, and I don't know how to drive it. Wondered if it was worth embarking on trying or just giving up adn going to small 7 segment LEDs.

Thanks,
Stuart

Westozy
08-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Hi, In my opinion it's much easier to use a plug'n'play option especially with the electronic 'brains' of your sim, eg: Saitek - Saitek Pro Flight Radio Panel - PC Aviator Australia (http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store/product.php?productid=17517&cat=253&bestseller=Y) With any decision to DIY I always calculate my own labour as a realistic factor. Even as a manufacturer I still buy components from FDS, CP Flight, Open Cockpits etc. Ask yourself how much you would like to be paid per hour for converting a real radio display, buying a power supply etc and I'm sure you would opt for a PNP solution with a warranty!

Cheers Gwyn

Jetprovost
09-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Ah, but the intangibles </SPAN>of solving the many problems and challenges these projects throw at you, along with the resulting pride in one's achievements counter the cost of blood sweat and swears. If I actually calculated my hourly rate and time, frustration, and $ spent on this thing, I would surely be better off just forking over $12k for a pre-built system such as the Simkits TRC2244. I am not sure that is the point.

Stuart