PDA

View Full Version : A320 and X-Plane Home cockpit

thx1138
08-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Hi All,

Just gathering ideas for a future home cockpit project, I'd really like to build an A320 using X-Plane rather than FSX or FS9.
I've looked around at various A320 projects but nobody seems to be using X-Plane only FS, is there a reason for this?
Are any of the Airbus products around compatible with X-Plane?

TIA

Ian

GodAtum
12-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi All,

Just gathering ideas for a future home cockpit project, I'd really like to build an A320 using X-Plane rather than FSX or FS9.
I've looked around at various A320 projects but nobody seems to be using X-Plane only FS, is there a reason for this?

TIA

Ian

Ive also been looking too. Xplane seems very nice and stable plus perfect for running on multiple PCs. There is no good Airbus software yet but if you want a Boeing Sim Avionics works.

jjmantello
01-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Im looking for that too.... any news?

Bou24
02-10-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm just starting a A320 project and still wondering whether to go with FSX or X-plane. I'd like x-plane because it runs on os x. Althought i could get multiple pc's way cheaper. Opinions?

OmniAtlas
02-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Hi All,

TIA

Ian

FSX/P3D because the Jeehell FMGS cockpit software is free.

jjmantello
02-10-2014, 11:45 PM
One month that I'm gathering informations .... I had fsx, I bought xplane 10 then p3d and a all bunch of planes and plugs..... After more than a thousand euros and many hours on the web and testing...... I didn't find the real solution....
A320 seams more complicate to find solutions than the 737....
xplane seams isolated in terms of plugs development ....
I first thought that I would vote for xplane and a320 but today I'm more turning myself to p3d and a 737....
p3d and Ifly seams to be an easy solution.... I have to dig deeper in it to be sure not to find a big wall....
for sure I don't want to invest big money into a simulator based on fsx.... No way.

OmniAtlas
02-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Jjmantello - again jeehell is free for use with fsx/p3d.

Project majenta, sim avionics, prosim737 are all over 1000.

I had 737 hardware but sold it all off because of the cost savings using jeehell fmgs. It is also difficult to setup dual link yokes vs the airbus sidesticks.

With cockpit commonality you can also stimulate the a318,a319 and a320. With the 737 I'm afraid that's what you're stuck with to fly

GodAtum
02-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Im waiting for FSL A320 P3D cockpit edition. No word yet on release date or prices but it will be much more better then anything else, including AST which is $5000.

asessa
02-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Im waiting for FSL A320 P3D cockpit edition. No word yet on release date or prices but it will be much more better then anything else, including AST which is $5000.

FSL ? Will be it never released ? i'm not sure!

Actually , the best software for A320 Home Cockpit for FSX/P3D is JeeHell , it's freeware and stable .

XPlane has no suite for A320 home cockpit :(

GodAtum
02-11-2014, 10:30 AM
FSL ? Will be it never released ? i'm not sure!

Actually , the best software for A320 Home Cockpit for FSX/P3D is JeeHell , it's freeware and stable .

XPlane has no suite for A320 home cockpit :(

I did test jeehell last year. I dont think there was an instructor station yet nor sure how complete the FBW system is.

asessa
02-11-2014, 10:45 AM
I did test jeehell last year. I dont think there was an instructor station yet nor sure how complete the FBW system is.

No instructor station, is a choice of the author.
FBW is complete.

You can try again , many users use it.

patur96
02-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Hi Ian! :-)

I think you should use "Prepar3D"! :-)

We're a team in the Faroe Islands, and we're about to build a A320 simulator :-)

We're gonna use Prepar3D :)

Bou24
02-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Patur96, what kind of Prepar3D license do you plan on using?

patur96
02-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Hi Ian :)

I think that we'll use the "Professional Plus License" :)

I'm not the one, who works on the softwere area! It's my friend, Simon Nordendal, founder of the company called Azurafiles

If you don't mind, then I would like to be in contact, while we build this simulator:)

PJ

Bou24
02-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Just to make things clear, I hijacked this thread with my own question instead of making a own thread of the same topic. I'm not Ian :)

Andreas

patur96
02-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Ohh!! haha! :P

It's okay! :) Do you also build an airbus simulator? Would love to get in contact with people, who are building a320 simulators :D

PJ

Bou24
02-12-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm just starting my build and yes, a320. Looks like it's going to be based on FSX

SSO
03-09-2014, 02:03 PM
X-plane lack prof Airport designs.
Further if you plan to fly online there is a descripancy between scenery ground levels, which can be quite irritation seing the planes around you hovering or partly in the ground.

/Stephen

xplanematt
03-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Couple of notes, X-Plane *does* have a built-in instructor station/console which can be run on a second PC. I will probably be using this myself for my Sabreliner, if I don't decide to make my own instructor console software.

I would recommend anyone trying to replicate any reasonably complex aircraft to just go ahead and roll their own software/plugins for it, whether they are using FSX or X-Plane. It just gives you so much flexibility and control for interfacing to your own custom hardware in your own sim. (Of course, it would be really great if someone already has a decent set of plugins for your aircraft type, assuming they are open-source.) Fortunately, plain old software-only programming is easy compared to the software-to-hardware interfaces and the mechanical & electrical engineering required to run flight controls, move gauges, read synchros, put the right devices on the right circuits, run your 400hz stuff without causing too much EMI, etc.

With that being said, I *highly* recommend X-Plane for cockpit builders. The X-Plane SDK is mature, well-documented, stable, and beautifully integrated with X-Plane. It's a joy to work with. Interfacing to FSX/P3D is a big ugly kludge, because it was never designed to be "talked to". X-Plane also has a vastly superior flight model, and is much prettier. :)

GodAtum
03-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately I know nothing about programming so will have to wait for more knowledgeable people to development software.

OmniAtlas
08-11-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm looking into x-plane -- night lighting and smoothness of the sim blew me away; P3D 2.2 in comparison is sluggish and the dynamic lighting, HDR does not compare with XP10.

Any idea which A320 software would be compatible for cockpit builders? I would be looking for 2D panel overlays which would work for a touch screen LCD.

Jeehell FMGS is fantastic but only works for P3D/FSX. Keeping my options open.

hkreso
01-02-2015, 06:12 PM
I starting build my cockpit for Jardesign A320 on X-plane. I think it's many oportunity to build this. Look some litle test, https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1689116674648053

derpilot
01-10-2015, 06:34 AM
Hey there,

as I also want to build an A320 home cockpit I think i can contribute something to the discussion.
At the moment I use Xplane 10 and really don't linke to switch over to FSX/Prepar because I love the Xplane system accuracy and graphics.
In terms of cockpit software it could be possible to get Jeehell working with Xplane via the XPUIPC plugin. What I read is there is a problem with operating the Xplane autopilot system with Jeehell beacause it functionality is different from the one implemented in FSX. Furthermore there is no plane for Xplane working with Jeehell resembling the real flight parameters. For the FSX system the play is delivered with the Jeehell package. Might it be possible to do some work on Jeehell with Xplane to get that running?

What I try to begin with is building a TQ based on original Airbus drawings, because it is independend from the cockpit suite you want to use.

Buddym
01-12-2015, 10:24 AM
let me know how you make out with the throttle quad. I have been looking and experimenting for years without much luck.

OmniAtlas
01-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Well, someone out there has made an a320 cockpit using XP10 and the standby instruments by JL :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTxJpb5eXjw

asessa
01-26-2015, 06:04 AM
wow....it's a great news...

derpilot
01-26-2015, 06:11 AM
Does anybody of you guys have the time to check that out on their PC? I dont really have time for experimenting with that stuff due tu my study at the time. But it would be great if I could start configuring some software after my exams :D

OmniAtlas
01-26-2015, 06:49 AM
I have tried running XPUIPC and JL software with no success.

Perhaps someone with some hack-wizardry can figure it out :)

asessa
01-26-2015, 06:54 AM
Maybe we will try to configure qpac with xuipc and our hardware

OmniAtlas
02-01-2015, 03:06 AM
I have been experimenting with XP10 and QPAC. They have pop-ups, but unfortunately they cannot be arranged (besides the MCDU)

Yes, my windshield is cracked...flew into a storm...

PS - The flight simulator at Dresden integrates QPAC with XP, ECA Faros (their MCDU), and Flight Deck Solutions hardware: http://www.ifl.tu-dresden.de/?dir=Research/Simulation_Lab/A320_FTD

OmniAtlas
03-03-2015, 06:13 AM
Here is a video of the Dresden simulator (anyone understand German?) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rhArItTad8

derpilot
03-03-2015, 06:35 AM
Yes, I'm from Germany. But too bad theres nothing about the way they have built it. But it say Flightdeck Solutions on the frame, so I think they used parts from them...

Nick1150
05-30-2016, 05:25 AM
Very interesting thread....

I am in the same position.... Sold my 737 FSX full home cockpit 6 months ago, due to the complexity and the lack of time to fly with it. Nevertheless, I am seeking for an A320 single seat trainer solution, so by all means I am all ears and given that during the last 10 years I am struggling with FSX patents, I am X-Plane all the way!

My aim is build something easier, less complex and cheaper than 737 and fly when time is available.

Any updates on this matter guys?

Thanks,

turbovela
07-31-2016, 06:05 PM
Nick

Check out this guys project, I think its mostly DIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=tiGynDfQqwA

Jose

No Longer Active
08-01-2016, 06:20 AM
As amazing as X-Plane is, you will find it a harder process overall to interface hardware within the A320 environment to XP as you start getting into the headache of DataRefs, it also uses a different logic, XPUIPC for commands, but the coding and programming is the biggest hurdle to overcome.

No Longer Active
08-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Here is a video of the Dresden simulator (anyone understand German?) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rhArItTad8

They just bought a sim from FDS, not a big deal here...

If the uni students made it from scratch, then that would be something....

OmniAtlas
08-01-2016, 09:42 AM
They just bought a sim from FDS, not a big deal here...

If the uni students made it from scratch, then that would be something....

Actually I'm more impressed with how they interfaced an ECA FAROS MCDU with Xplane. I've been in touch with the author of QPAC and they've written software to allow this -- the rest of the buttons are just assigned through your typical datarefs.

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11659&stc=1

xplanematt
08-02-2016, 01:23 AM
It's no wonder you think the X-Plane API is a "headache" if you've been trying to use it via XPUIPC. Why anyone would throw that horrific kludge of an interface on top of X-Plane's highly organized, documented, elegant API is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, Pete Dawson has done amazing (and invaluable) work with FSUIPC, but it can never be a proper API. That's something Microsoft/Lockheed would have to provide (not Pete's fault at all, he most definitely rocks).

I've worked extensively with X-Plane's API (mostly via the Python interface, which is very well done), and I've also worked with FSUIPC, SIOC, FS9, FSX, and P3D. There is no comparison. On my current sim rebuild, I've got a multi-threaded Python program sending and receiving data to/from X-Plane. Each host-side TX/RX module is ethernet based (running on the X-Plane PC in my case, but it doesn't have to) and running inside its own thread, to minimize any performance hit. Years ago (during my newbie programmer days, no less), I did a smoke-system plugin that injected code into X-Plane's OpenGL loop and produced custom smoke puffs of whatever color, appearance, frequency, size, or intensity I wanted, and at multiple points. That's when I accidentally discovered that I could tilt the entire skybox/horizon in X-Plane if I wanted to. My current sim extracts pixel information from X-Plane's native WX radar, dumps it to a file, makes some modifications to the weather image, and spits out the results onto my custom radar software. I can also hook into X-Plane's native menu/windowing system if needed, which I will probably do for a kiosk-style timed flight period for public events. On my Sabreliner, I'll be "hijacking" X-Plane's autopilot cues to drive a dynamic force feedback/positioning system. I could shut off the entire flight model and provide my own if I wanted to, or vice versa (that is, use X-Plane's flight model to drive some other visual system). Ah yes, and there's no odd random crashes/freezing.

Ditch the XPUIPC mess and get comfy with the native X-Plane API. It will be a breath of fresh air. :)

Matt

As amazing as X-Plane is, you will find it a harder process overall to interface hardware within the A320 environment to XP as you start getting into the headache of DataRefs, it also uses a different logic, XPUIPC for commands, but the coding and programming is the biggest hurdle to overcome.

HellG
08-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Most (if not all) Airbus flight models for X-Plane are based on the FBW model created by QPAC. There is a new 2.10 beta out which has movable pop-ups for each display which can be activated all at once. We use the flight model to drive our small mock-up simulator (you can see a small picture here: http://www.qpac-us.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/19-ila-2014-a-great-show-has-come-to-an-end) and also on our large research simulator (http://www.dlr.de/fl/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-1964/1601_read-3009/). They also made a special version for us with all displays popped up covering most of the screen. We run this version under linux on a large virtual desktop with a resolution of about 2500x2500 pixels. At this resolution each pop-up display is around 700x700 pixels and thus two can be show side by side on a 1440x900 screen. We connected 5 displays to the simulation pc: one is showing the virtual desktop and the other four are mounted in the cockpit. They are configured to "look" at a certain part of the virtual desktop and thus showing the various instruments. To my knowledge the setup is only available with a linux desktop. The outside view is generated by a second pc running a slave instance of X-Plane in fullscreen mode.
As already said, interfacing with X-Plane is very easy and there are tons of plugins that help you connect your hardware.

HellG
08-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Sorry, double post

OmniAtlas
08-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Hi HellG -- thank you for the informative post.

I do not see a beta 2.10 available for download on the X-Plane QPAC forum -- will this be available to the public?
Linux has its advantages :)

CP Flight has a x-plane driver for the FCU, I am not sure about the FDS MCDU -- I have not seen anyone successfully interface this hardware with QPAC and I am not too sure if it is even possible.

Regards,

Ben

HellG
08-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Hi Ben,
as we paid QPAC to add a special interface into their A320 model I think we got some exclusive preview to test the new functions. But these interfaces are only to connect our own experimental FMS to it.

Interfacing the MCDU is quite simple: On the output side there are datarefs for each line, each color and each size and on the input side there are command refs for each key. We send the output strings to an Raspberry Pi that runs a small QT program which just prints the content of the strings in the right line with the right color and size. The keys are also accessed via the network and are then translated to single commands within XPlane. Very simple and straight forward. The only mess is the network protocol of the hardware, but this is made by a french company and althought the look and feel is quite realistic (we have a real A320 in the hangar to compare with: http://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-10203/339_read-277) the interface is horrible. So as long as the FDS MCDU has some kind of interface description it is just a matter of connecting the wires...

At the moment wer are searching for an overhead panel to integrate in our cockpit simulator. So far we got a sample panel from JAA Simulators but I am not convinced of the switches they use. Our next option is the one from Skalarki Electronics but maybe we investigate also other manufacturers.

Regards,
Helge.

OmniAtlas
08-13-2016, 03:29 AM
Cheers -- I will continue to observe QPAC and see how it evolves. Jeehell FMGS offers 'plug and play' setup -- especially with FDS equipment and IITCreator; is FMGS something your team is not considering?

HellG
08-15-2016, 03:13 AM
No, so far we did not consider to use Jeehell FMGS or similar products based on FSX and due to the research work we plan to do with the simulator I don't think that we will in the future.

Until we got the A320 as research aircraft we had a VFW-614 (two engine medium type jet plane build in the late 60s) that got retrofit with a fly-by-wire system developed in-house. For that system we developed most of our software like FMS, autopilot logic and displays (PFD, ND, HSI etc.). Although our cockpit simulator has the shape of an A320 cockpit up to now it was completely based on our old research aircraft. Since two years we are switching more and more to a "real" A320 simulation but still we need flexible structures and open interfaces to adapt the simulator to the projects we work on. As we do also human factors evaluations of e.g. new cockpit displays we need to create workload that is not directly related to the investigation and that is why we want to install an overhead panel. If we finished the installation I will post some picture here.

Regards,
Helge.

OmniAtlas
08-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Hi Helge,

FMGS has an API and may be worth considering down the line if it is flexible and fits your purpose.

Interesting your research centres around human factors - my work surrounds occupational health and the aviation industry would be something I would be interested in looking at further down my fellowship pathway.

Do you have any research available to the general public?

Thank you,

Ben