PDA

View Full Version : MyCockpit.org Is Moving

Matt Olieman
07-27-2013, 06:57 AM
MyCockpit.org Is Moving

On or about the 10th of August (now the 5th) MyCockpit.org will be moving it's server.

What to expect:

The closer we come to the actual (day) of changing over the more accurate time of the change over will be announced.

I would like to tell you the process will take a few hours, but speaking of experience, you never know, it could take a few days.

We'll do are best to at least provide a web page with up to date news regarding the site status.

Why are we doing this:

Bottom line... money. The revenue through advertisers and donations are not meeting the expenses of MyCockpit.org. I've been making up the difference out of my pocket. I'm on a fixed retirement income and can't continue to do that. I don't like to beg for donations. :(

We've also had some maintenance issues provided currently by our server provider, we're trying to move to a provider that is very well established by reputation.

I'll keep you up to date.

Please donate :)

Matt Olieman

CocnutAir
07-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Matt,
I'm sure it will go well.
Regards,
Alan

Matt Olieman
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
We're shooting for the move completed by the 6th of August.

The transition will start on the 5th.

Matt O.

No Longer Active
07-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Hopefully the new server will mean that 'you' Matt don't have to put your retirement money into the kitty to keep it going. The website should pay for itself, even if that does mean google adds and sponsors, so be it. You have well and truly kept this website up and running, and you should be spending your retirement money on yourself to enjoy!

Alex

aizak
07-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Hello

I am curious Mat what is the size of the site ?

I have an account on Dreamhost with theoretical unlimited hosting space and i am paying 119.40 or 9.5 euro per month.
If it is so much of a problem and the size of the site more or less 5gb i could setup a space for you so you will have to pay only the domain name. If you wish we can discuss it in pm

Best regards

Matt Olieman
07-30-2013, 05:59 PM
@ aizak, Thank you for the offer, most users are not aware of what it takes to run MyCockpit.org. Lot's of information/disk space is used.

We lease a dedicated server. The current server is Dual-Core AMD opeteron Processor 2210, 2.4g total of 4 cores, 8 Gigs of memory, 1 tb raid disk space

MyCockpit.org uses about 300 gigs of disk space.

Leasing cost is only about 50% of the cost involved to keep the site running, there are lots of maintance fees, registration fees for domain and software.

Fortunately the server provider we're moving to, the cost we be split more then half :)

Matt Olieman

Matt Olieman
07-31-2013, 05:09 PM
We're in the process of backing up the server, this is a lengthy process. Next process is to start installing software/files to the new server, again a lengthy process.

Then the databases and assigning ips's and updating the DNS, this will be hard to tell how long the DNS will propagate and it will depend on your providers how fast they update for you to connect back into MyCockpit.org.

Even after the site is back up, there will be lot's of fine tuning, this may take weeks.

The sooner we do this, the better.

Thought I would give you a warning, in case you can't reach the site.

------------------------------

I want to thank all of those for your donations, extremely helpful. Thank You!!!!! :)

Matt Olieman

Jim NZ
07-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Good luck with the mission Matt. :)
I had no idea of the size of this place !!
I hope it all goes well for you and we will
"See you on the other side" :) :)

Cheers ,,, Jim

Westozy
07-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Good luck with the move Matt, I hope the new server will allow me to post pictures. Every time I try to post pics I get "Internal Server Error" message despite the fact that I have unlimited file size privaleges, I haven't been able to post pictures for weeks. If I can get going again with posting my stuff that will be great. When all is restored Aerosim Solutions will pledge regular monthly contributions guaranteed!!!

Cheers Gwyn

Matt Olieman
08-02-2013, 06:44 AM
It seems we been hit by an intruder, the problems we are currently having has nothing to do with the move.

There has been three components to our site that has been disabled and we're having trouble trying to correct the situation.

One being hit is our spam protection plugin, so you will see a number of posts that are not from our members. We're doing our best to resolve this issue and my apologies if there is anything offensive posted.

Matt Olieman

Matt Olieman
08-24-2013, 03:49 PM
08242013 Test Post
Matt Olieman

Matt Olieman
08-24-2013, 03:52 PM
After a TREMENDOUS effort with AMAZING difficulty to rebuild the database and move the site to a new server, I think we've got it. Not doing the "Happy Dance" yet. I've opened the site for posting, GO FOR IT!! Hope it all works alright.

My apologies for it taking so long and loss of data, I will explain more later....

Matt Olieman

Jim NZ
08-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Yep ,, she's back Matt.

Thanks a million for the battles your fighting for us.

We thought we had lost ya there for a while :) :)
but all seems well.

Jim

remcosol
08-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Hi Matt , it seems my profiles are gone ????

remcosol
08-24-2013, 05:47 PM
It seems all after 02-08-13, is gone

Geremy Britton
08-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Like an aircraft on ILS in a foggy evening, the pleasure and relief as the runway emerges has little comparison except for the time mycockpit.org is back where it belongs serving this fantastic community.

Thanks for the work you have put in matt. I urge you all to donate in recognition of a successful transition and to secure the future.

Best Regards

Nick1150
08-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Congrats to all for the effort and outcome !

nice to be back home :D

Wendy
08-25-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks Matt, nice to see MyCockpit.org back on line.

Matt Olieman
08-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Well, it's been 28 hours since we restarted Mycockpit.org with a working database and I believe I can finally say "Success."

We've recovered from the intrusion and MOVED to a new, better, and less expensive server. Needless to say, with MUCH difficulty.

Foremost, I want to give my most profound gratitude to David Crist for his countless hours relentlessly working to fix MyCockpit database and move from our old to new server. David spent many hours consulting with various tech support, related to database and server operations, trying to resolve why certain aspects of the operation did not work. David spent many sleepless nights with continued effort to make this a successful mission. Thank You David.

I also want to thank Vybhav's offer and use his Systems Admin person (Steve B.) to help clear up part of the NameServer issues. Thank You Vybhav

And for some of the others who offered to help. Thank You.

And of course I want to thank our membership for being patient and supportive during these trying times. Thank You.

I'm glad we're back in business of helping fellow Flight Sim Builders build their dream at MyCockpit.org :)

Matt Olieman

remcosol
08-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Good stuff !!!! Great effort keeping the site up and running !

Westozy
08-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Great to see the site back up and running and great to be 'home'! I can upload pictures again yay!! Still can't add them to a thread but I'll work on shrinking them next time!

Congratulations Matt, staff and all who helped!

Cheers Gwyn

Efe Cem Elci
08-27-2013, 04:02 AM
Great work. Nice to see the legend back. As mentioned by others, time to donate :)

Henju
10-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Well that explains it... well done with the move... it would be a shame to see MyCockpit gone down as it's such a great place!