PDA

View Full Version : Is plug and play right for me?

cavscout_56
07-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey everyone,

I am new to cockpit buiding in the sense I am just in the research phase. What that means is that I am already over my head trying to wrap my brain around such things as IO cards and FSUIPC I think. It amazes me that people build these simulators and know what to do. I was wondering that since I have researched plug and play modules is that the best for me? I want to have all the realism I can get and don't mind doing the work of DIY its just I'm not that savvy with electronics. Any help on anything would be greatly appreciated.

OmniAtlas
07-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Take a look at cp flight ICS.

Its practically plug and play.

The jetmax also requires very little knowledge with electronics and is easy to put together.

Efe Cem Elci
07-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Its hard to say really. If you feel you are not savvy with electronics, coding, etc. and don't mind paying the extra cash, go for plug and play. That being said, there are many good examples here and around the web that can be followed perfection with a little trial and error and personal development. So if you want, start small and try your hand at DIY before (possibly) abandoning it for PNP.

OmniAtlas
07-23-2013, 07:51 AM
The other thing is, you don't necessarily need an MIP with all the fancy buttons and lights. The real life computer based 787 trainer for example has just the basics -- yoke, throttle, screens for the PDF ND, and an MCP, EFIS.

Another setup British Airways 787 Flight Simulator (Mobile) | The FUTURESoftware Blog (http://futuresoftwareblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/british-airways-787-flight-simulator-mobile/)

cavscout_56
07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
I apprciate all the advice given. I know if I was able to get ahold of some manuels or tutorials I would definately try my hand at DIY. The biggest question is I have so many questions. I guess a good one to start out with is, which part do you start building first, structure, panels, overhead? Thank you again for all the help.

OmniAtlas
07-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Personally, I'm starting out with parts of the simulation you 'touch' and control the aircraft with.

that included the yoke, throttle, radios, MCP, cdu and rudder.

cavscout_56
07-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Omni,

That is not a bad idea you have there. Maybe just get the actual hands on equipment and then slowly integrate the MIP later on.

tobelerone
07-24-2013, 02:57 PM
If you're not good with electronics you can also start off with devices built from used USB joysticks. All you may want / need to do is exchange the pushbuttons/ switches with what you like. Advantages: cheap, plug and play, no extra configuration. There's an example in my signature.